PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube Sizer ? ?

hylander
10-07-2014, 10:48 PM
I have been sizing with lee sizers and pan lubing with Bens Red.
No issues and works great.
However been thinking about a lube sizer to speed things up.
Questions:

Will the sizer also seat the gas check ?
Can I still use my Bens Red or do I have start buying the hollow tube stuff ?

chloe123
10-07-2014, 11:43 PM
The RCBS Lube-a-Matic sizes, and seats checks easily. I'm not familiar with Ben's Red but standard lube size works. I've bought several lyman, Rcbs varieties and they have hollowed out portion designed for their lube sizers. The Rcbs sizer works well and never requires much of an adjustment.

BruceB
10-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Almost any sort of lube may be used, if the consistency of the stuff lends itself to the job.

Just melt the lube in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave... watch it carefully to avoid over-heating.

Then, pour it into the machine, wait a few minutes for it to cool and set, ....and size away.

This method also gets a lot more lube into the machine at a filling, compared to using the hollow sticks.

bobthenailer
10-08-2014, 07:22 AM
If you buy your lube by the pound or in large camdex sticks or even with the regular size solid sticks instead of hollow sticks , the cost is the same for hollow or solid, and do as Bruce B says, you can lower your lube cost considerably.

Bullshop Junior
10-08-2014, 09:43 AM
I use a double Boiler made from old tin cans to melt my lube. Take the plunger out, fill it up, replace plinger, and have at it.

NoAngel
10-08-2014, 09:56 AM
I use something very similar to BensRed in a lyman 450 and an Rcbs lam II.
no preheater needed. Maybe on a very cold day in the shop I will have to take a hair dryer to the sizer press to get things going for the first time but only when it's stone cold. Usually if it's that cold, the the heater I use to heat the whole shop will do fine if I turn it on an hour before I start sizing.

I don't push high velocities in anything I shoot, I prefer slow and heavy over speed. Relatively soft lubes work well for me and are exponentially easier to deal with.

The RCBS LAM II I use wasn't cheap but I have never regretted the money. Not even a little. The only issue you will have is how aggravated you're going to be for not ditching the pan lube sooner.

hylander
10-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the input :-)
Just what I was hoping to hear.
I have been pan lubing with Bens Red, it is pretty soft but I have no leading issues even when
pushing it past 1850 fps in the 30-06.
Will be nice being able to size/lube and seat the checks all at the same time.

Where is the best place to pick up an RCBS unit ?