PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the sideplate from a model 10?

homefront
02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
It seems very well fitted and doesn't want to budge. I don't want to damage or mar anything, so of course, as a last resort, I thought I'd ask for directions. :roll:

fishhawk
02-04-2008, 02:55 PM
turn the revolver on it's side with the side plate down take a screw driver and tap on the side thats up with the screwdriver handle may take some time but thats how you get them off

homefront
02-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Tap on the opposite side? Ok, I'll try it.

5 mins. later...

It worked! Thanks a lot!!

dubber123
02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Yep, tap one the grip frame to remove. If it's never been off, it may take some pretty good whacks, which is why to use some thing non-marring. Never pry them off, it really buggers up the fit. Once inside a Smith, the fun really begins!

S.R.Custom
02-04-2008, 04:07 PM
turn the revolver on it's side with the side plate down take a screw driver and tap on the side thats up with the screwdriver handle may take some time but thats how you get them off

Better method: Take the grips off. Take the screws out. Hold the gun by the barrel, side plate up. With a screwdriver handle, whack the gripframe/handle towards the bottom solidly, but not hard. It should come loose with the first whack.

Morgan Astorbilt
02-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Best tool for that is a lead bar, about 1" dia. and 6" long. Tap down on the grip frame while holding the barrel. This is the traditional way.
Morgan

EMC45
02-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Saw the guy on those AGI gunsmithing videos badmouthing the tapping method and said he just prys the side plate out. What a dimwit. That will instantly mar the upper corner of the side plate by the rear sight. Don't ask me how I know this[smilie=1:

NVcurmudgeon
02-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Patient, no-mar method: remove screws, turn revolver sideplate down, snap DA until the plate drops gently onto pad on table.

fishhawk
02-04-2008, 05:32 PM
well what ever tap method ya want to use who cares, if ya hold the barrel or turn it sideways as in my method, or stand on your head singing JUST DON"T PRY THE THINGS OFF!

Lloyd Smale
02-04-2008, 05:49 PM
just be sure if you tap it off upside down you have a knowlege of where all the parts go as a few times ive had parts fall off with the plate.

dubber123
02-04-2008, 06:40 PM
just be sure if you tap it off upside down you have a knowlege of where all the parts go as a few times ive had parts fall off with the plate.

I hadn't thought of that, but should have, as thats exactly what happened the first time I took one apart.:roll:

JMax
02-04-2008, 07:01 PM
At Smith school we used a 1" round babbit bar to tap the bottom side of the frame. Hold the revolver in the left hand, muzzle pointed left with the side plate up. Cradle the revolver with your left hand and the left thumb gently on the side plate. Tap the base of the frame using your babbit bar and it pops loose. Prying is for,.... well we all know the word.

waksupi
02-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Wait til he tries to put it back on! Snark, snurfle!

homefront
02-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Yes, putting it on....
The first time it popped into place by itself. The second and third times it took voodo and shinto chanting to get it, but eventually the spirits allowed it in again.