PDA

View Full Version : What are differences among these 3 hand presses?

Naphtali
02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I have identified three hand presses that are either in current production or are available with acceptable searching: Lee Hand Press; Lyman Accupress; and Huntington Compac Tool.

Lee's and Huntington's are currently manufactured. There is huge difference in suggested retail price between them.

Those of you who have used the Compac Tool: Is it worth the premium price when compared with Lee's?

Does any of the three presses do something the others does not? I am especially interested in ease of using the ram, and overall durability.

utk
02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Have you seen this press:

Le Loup Solitaire
02-04-2008, 07:28 PM
The Huntington has been around for quite a number of years. It is strong and well made, but they want to be well paid for it. Not familiar with the Compac, but have a couple of Lees and use them sometimes to make a box or two someplace else outside of my shop or to do an odd job- off the main presses. They are very reasonably priced (around $20 from MidSouth) and do a good job. For me the only drawback with them is that after about every 10 rounds of decapping you have to pull the shell holder and empty out the spent primers...PITA. Otherwise they do it all and anywhere. the Lyman Accupress is not currently in production. They can be a bit rough on the hands after many rounds. It did a good job and had provision for mounting to the side of a bench. One can sometimes find them on E-Bay. Hand tools do every bit a good job of producing top shelf ammo as regular presses and they're very spacesaving and totally portable however are kind of slow in terms of production, but as the great Phil Sharpe once said, "If you're in that much of a hurry, go buy the doggone stuff".

Naphtali
02-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Have you seen this press:I've looked at it on the web site. As near as I can tell, it is not a hand press, rather a petite press that mounts anywhere.

I require a hand press. So I'm limited -- refreshing, I think.
Le Loup Solitaire:

Regarding the Compac Tool, this is what Huntington's Store calls the press. I believe this is also the press to which you refer.
To do minor a amount of reloading of .480 Ruger cartridges, any hand press will do. To do a not-so-minor amount of reloading for years, is the Compac Tool a better solution than Lee's? I want to do this only once.

utk
02-05-2008, 04:31 AM
Naphtali, our opinions obviously differ.

I think the Anywhere Press is very similar to Lee's. Only better. Those two "mounting plates" will most likely not be enough to "lock" the press to a table if you want to rezise a case. You'll need both hands. For bullet seating they will, though.

You can order the press without the mounting plates if you prefer a hand-held only.

The Huntington Compac really takes three hands, two to operate the handles and one to guide the bullet. With the Lee and the Anywhere you can use one hand both to hold the press and guide a bullet. The drawback to Lee's design is that it is an open c-frame. The advantage is the price.

Both the Compac and the Anywhere are symmetrical, the die will stay inline with the shellholder under pressure.

utk
02-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Now, THIS is a "Petite" press:

http://benchrest.com/hoodpress/

Lloyd Smale
02-05-2008, 06:37 AM
dont know about the others but those lees are a handy unit. Im actually on my third one now. before the days i owned dillons i used to do about 3/4s of my loading sitting in the livingroom watching tv. I shot so much that i didnt have time to sit in the barn loading all night. Id size flare and prime cases in the house and then take them out to the barn in large batches to charge and seat bullets. For the 30 bucks or so one cost there an awful handy unit and i wouldnt be without one.

Naphtali
02-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Now, THIS is a "Petite" press:

http://benchrest.com/hoodpress/Interesting. As I understood Mr. Hood's description, it is a mount-anywhere device rather than a hands-only press.

Meacham's is a hand press? I must call to chat with them.
Stella at Starline -- now hers is a great name for the company -- called this morning to confirm I still wanted my .480 Ruger brass. Exactly two months since I ordered.

So the need is now a pressing need. . . . I apologize to everyone for being unable to prevent myself from playing word games in this post.

Tom-n8ies
02-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Lee hand press kit for 28.00 here

http://www.factorysales.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1202269038.1737=/html/catalog/rlpress2.html

everything you need but dies.

Take a look at the Lee Classic Turret, I have one of each but have not used the hand press much.

tom

SAWebbx1
04-09-2008, 01:35 PM
I used to travel with a reloading kit built around the Lee hand press. Stayed in a Gun friendly Motel in a gun-friendly town. Membership in the gun club was $50 a year with a key fee of $5. Let yourself in and raise the Bravo flag. My local shooting buddy got a Huntington press while I was there and could not resize a fired 450 case from his Marlin with it, which was his primary reason for getting it [affordable practice]. The Lee did it although it required umph. Don't recall whether we used any lube but I do remember him being seriously chagrined to have his Cadillac out performed by the Chevy.

Old Ironsights
04-09-2008, 02:30 PM
After playing with a variety of hand presses, I've come to the conclusion that none of them is really as "handy" as a good-'ol Lee Classic Loader.

It's all I use for Rifle & Shotgun cartridges any more.

Oh, and while that Hood press is very cool... it's not $300 cool. That's a lot of Lee Loaders.

And at 6 lbs, that's also a lot of Lee Loaders.

KCSO
04-09-2008, 08:33 PM
I picked up an old lyman hand press for $8 bucks used and it has loaded a bunch of 38-55's for me with very little effort. But it is still not as compact and handy as my 310 in a box.

Sig shooter
04-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Lee makes a small single stage press one up from the hand press . I have the lee hand press which can be tiring after some heavy resizing , minimal at best.

You would have better luck with a single stage bolted to a board / plate ,that is clamped to at desk or truck bumper.

Lee Press link (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=807734)

1hole
05-06-2008, 08:20 PM
In my box of "extra stuff" is a Lee hand press. It works good enough but it's somewhat clumsy, at least for me. I got it mostly for seating bullets at the range as I developed some loads. Evenutally I got a little Lee "Reloader" press, mounted it to a short board and C clamp it to the shooting bench instead of using the hand press; much simpler to use I think.

But, the hand press sure works, especially so for handgun ammo.

NSP64
05-07-2008, 08:31 AM
I too have used the lee press and find it more than able for Range use. Using one for everyday use on .480 ruger brass may be hard on you.

Dale53
05-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I have a couple of hand presses (the Lee and Lyman). I found that I was much happier with my Lee Turret press mounted on a board. I "C-clamped" it to an adjoining bench and have loaded many a cartridge at the range. Round development goes much faster when you load at the range. The turret press works MUCH better and easier. It is also compact enough to store in a box (I bought one of the fine Lee boxes - no longer available - for portable use). You could mount the press to the side of the box then clamp the box to the bench. Really nice portable set up.

Dale53

docone31
05-09-2008, 11:09 PM
I have been reloading since the '70s. I just recently got a turret press. I have had several Lee Hand presses and never wore one out.
I like the feel when seating the bullet. I developed a rythym and got fairly fast at it.
I like being able to take it to the range when I am developing a load.

steif
05-17-2008, 07:57 AM
I think the lee is one of the greatest buys I ever made, I seem to use it more than any other press I ever had... I use it for priming mainly when I'm using my other press but I like the ability to just go anywhere and load up a few rounds from the start to finish.
I broke a handle once sizing some .30/06 cases, but it was completely my fault not using enough lube on them plus a massive wear condition on it...lol.... they replaced it with no problem.
I left one out in the garage and when I found it it was rusted solid shut, again my fault, but they replaced it no charge again...
for the money, I like the lee.
Thanks!
Matt

Antietamgw
05-21-2008, 07:45 AM
I have a Lyman Accupress and use it or Lyman 310 tools when I need something portable, like loading at the range. I think Dale53 has the right idea though - just take along a turret press bolted to a board and clamp it to a bench.

WineMan
05-22-2008, 11:24 PM
I use the LEE small "C" press screwed with "T" nuts to a 12"x36" piece of 3/4 plywood. I use three speed "C" clamps to put it on my desk. A 1/2" hole drilled in the wood and a piece of plastic hose takes most of the spent primers to a milk jug. FL sizing some military 30-06 did need some muscle but from parts to sizing it takes me five minutes. Light and easy to use, the press was "free" with Lee's manual. I also have LEE Loaders for each caliber and the LEE Auto Prime. Anything over 20 rounds and I get out the press. The LEE Loader is good as straight line bullet seater though and sometimes I use both tools depending on the job.

Wineman

freedom475
05-23-2008, 12:38 AM
I used a lee hand press all winter to load for 480,475, 10mm, and 45-70.

The MOST handy, best investment ever, to add to the reloading outfit.

you add a powder measure and a lee priming tool and production really picks up.

Naphtali
06-19-2008, 12:13 PM
The W.R. English Pak-Tool is being newly manufactured. The maker claims to be using original tooling.

Disregarding its price -- I don't know what that might be -- would a newly made, or original version, be more useful or more convenient to use to resize and reload straight-walled revolver and rifle cartridges than the other reloading tools discussed in this thread?

Christian for Israel
07-10-2008, 12:02 AM
i'm another fan of the lee hand press. i've used mine to reform .270 cases into 8x57 (yeah, i know i'm abusing the poor thing) and, while it takes a LOT of force, the press takes it and asks for more. it's the best $20 i ever spent on a press.

dukenukum
08-12-2008, 08:22 PM
I have one and it serves me well the only case forming I do with it is 32-20 to 7.62 Nagant revolver .

stillhunter
08-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Lyman SparT presses are going for around 70 bucks on EBay. I have four in service and like them. With six stations you can set up to full length resize in one direction and neck size in the other. I use two M dies in this setup. Classic and great equipment.

carpetman
08-15-2008, 09:52 PM
What are the differences in the presses. Reading whole thread I found prices of $20,,$8 $28 and $70. So the difference seems to be from $62 to $12.

jcwit
08-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Ultimately there is no REAL difference unless you're reloading for extreme accuracy, ie benchrest. They will all make excellent ammo for most disciplines. Just depends on how much you want to spend. Myself I like the open (C) style, but use an (O) style for resizing rifle brass, more strength.

ra_balke
08-30-2008, 05:28 PM
The only presses I have ever had were my RCBS Junior, and my old Huntington compact. Cost 54 dollars many years ago !

The only one I use anymore is the huntington, and the RCBS is around someplace...

I load about 1k ammo a year anymore, and mostly around the TV or kitchen table.

My Huntington will case form, and full length re size. The lube I use is the best I have ever had, that is bee wax, with enough neets foot oil poured in to make it soft. I wipe it on the cases, size, and wipe it off for a nice waxy shine.

bruce drake
09-14-2008, 09:49 AM
I've used the Lyman Hand Press and the Lee Hand Press. The Lee beat the Lyman hands down for comfort and ease of use. The handle of the Lyman was made for masochists. The "finger curls" jsut ate into my hand every time I used it. The LEE was my first press 11 years ago and I still use it on a regular basis for processing brass in the winter when the Garage is -20 and the house is much warmer.

Bruce

marlinman93
03-27-2009, 09:56 PM
The reason the Huntington's is so much more money, is because it's so much more press than anything else in that style! It will do everything a bench press does, and almost as little effort. Most hand presses work, but after a short time the user will suffer so much fatigue that they'll give up and set it aside.
The Huntington will load as much ammo as you care to reload, and when you're done it wont leave you feeling like you just finished the worst workout you've ever had.
I've used one at the range to develope loads for many years. That's where it really shines, as I can load up 5 rounds, send them down range, and then try 5 different loads. I still use my bench press for known loads, but for range work there's nothing beats the Huntington hand press.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/6572tool1.JPG

TAWILDCATT
04-12-2009, 12:20 PM
the point is what do you want to use it for?????if to take to range or use in apartment????the lee reloader press will do reloading well and inexpensive and can be bolted to a board or 2x4 .$26 at midsouth.I have one its light and handier than the hand job.I have it mounted on a board and slide it in my frame.I size bullets and pull bullets with it.:coffee:[smilie=1:

Slow Elk 45/70
04-14-2009, 03:11 PM
I have both the Huntington and Lee presses, I keep one in a bag in my rig when I go out goofing off, sometimes just sit where it is quite and make a few rounds. Great to take to the range when testing loads and reloading on the spot.

I use them when I don't need a lot of ammo in one caliber, they work fine. My personal preference is the Huntington , but you can buy a couple of Lees for what they cost these days and they do everything the Huntington does

mdi
04-26-2009, 01:49 PM
I have a turret press (Lee), a heavy duty single stage (C-H), a lee hand press, and three Lee Loaders. I still occationally use the hand press when I'm not in a hurry, or only loading a few rounds. Works as good as any reloading press I own. If traveling, I would take the Lee hand press without a second thought. The Lee Loaders work too, but hammering on the die kinda gets old and the occational primer pop sometimes gets the wife's attention! I use the Lee Loaders when I feel nostalgic...

BarryinIN
06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
I know this thread is getting kinda old, but I only saw a couple of posts favoring the Huntington, and I just had to add another. Somebody may do a search on this very thing, and want all the info they can get.

I needed a hand press when I moved to a Chicago-area apartment in 1987. I wanted a Huntington, but the cost was double that of the Lee and Lyman (Acculine?).
I bought a Lyman and it was fine for a couple of months. Then one of the handles broke while sizing .308s.
Just snapped. Scared me to death.
I thought about sending it back, but I figured it would just do it again someday. I ordered the Huntington.

That has been 22 years ago now, and I still use the Compac sometimes. I used it for almost everything for the first five years. I finally made room to get a 30x24 bench in the apartment and used my Rockchucker some, then bought a Dillon. But I still used the Huntington a lot. Now, two apartments, two houses, and a couple more bench mounted presses later, I still use the Huntington often.
I've used it after every move, since it takes me months to find everything. I can usually get something done with the Compac in the meantime.
I use it now a lot just to keep from spending all my time in the garage (either from the heat or cold or just to be with the family). I can sit inside and size, expand, or seat.

I have never broken anything. I expected the pivot bolts to loosen even with the locknuts, but they never have. The guide rods are worn white and the handles are worn to a polish, but it still works. I might have guessed it would get loose or rattly, but it hasn't.
It may have cost twice what the Lyman I had at first did, but it has literally lasted 50 times longer.

Almost all my use with it now is with rifle cases. With handgun rounds or .223 or something, I can run through a bunch on the Dillon in the time it takes me to gather things together and take them inside to use the Huntington. So it isn't getting a rest.

My only wish for a change would be if they had some sort of spring-loaded snap-in shellholder system (maybe they do now?). Mine uses an allen-head setscrew to retain the shellholder and while that works fine, I always forget to grab that little allen wrench when I bring the Compac in to do something.

I think you really do get what you pay for this time.

curiousgeorge
06-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Dale53 has the right idea. The best portable press is the Lee turret press. Mine is the 3 hole turret version. Most of the time I leave the rod that does the automatic turning off. Mounted it to a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood with 2 large C-clamps and it works fine.

Also have done one of my 550's like this but a little bulky and awkard unless you have a very secure bench. Put it on the right hand corner and it will be as rock solid as your bench is. My friends have learned the advantage of a Dillon over the single stage when a bulk amount of ammo needs to be reloaded in a hurry so I fixed one up as a "loaner". ( very close friends)

I have used Lyman 310 presses, Lee hand presses and the Lyman Accupress. Best of the hand presses of those 3 is the Lyman Accupress. Doesn't bust your knuckles, plenty of leverage for pistol cases and CAN be mounted to a bench with bolts, screws, or clamps if you turn the handle around. Bench mounted it does rifle cases with ease. Got rid of the Lee after using this one.

Hope this helps and good luck.