PDA

View Full Version : Fire lapping load for the Sw 500 mag .

Joe C
10-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Not sure if this the right place to post this or not but thought I would ask anyway .

Anybody have a fire lap load for the 500 SW ?

I have been doing searches on this forum and a google search and can't find anything.

I was thinking of trying Trailboss powder . in the Hodgdon manual 8 gr with a 370 gr cast gives 750 fps
thought I would try dropping it a grain or two and chronoing a few .

I also talked to a Hodgdon tech and he warned me about going too low with the trailboss , said the pressure drops off pretty quick and you could end up sticking a bullet in the barrel .

I have other powders , bullseye, red dot , 231 etc but don't have any kind of starting point for them, at least the trailboss load gives me a place to start.

thanks

Joe

Tatume
10-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Trailboss is probably a bad choice. It works best at or near 100% loading density.

My experience with fire lapping is to use a minimum charge of Bullseye, just enough to get the bullet out of the barrel. Be prepared to remove a stuck bullet or two. It's easy to do. You need a brass rod and a heavy hammer. Light taps with a heavy hammer are infinitely better than sharp raps with a light hammer.

Only load one at a time and tip the muzzle up before each shot. You could start with 8.0 grains, and it will probably exit the muzzle fine. You're looking for the minimum reliable speed.

birddog
10-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Veral recommended the fastest powder available. Just enough to push bullet out of barrel is all that is needed. When I lapped my SRH 480 I could watch the bullet lob up about 150' and start to fall back down. The Ruger needed 140 rds to clean everything up. S&W should not be as bad.
Charlie

C. Latch
10-07-2014, 07:48 PM
I used 700-x and Green Dot when I firelapped my .45.

What all do you have on hand in the fast-burning range?

Motor
10-07-2014, 08:26 PM
The Lyman cast boolit manual list loads using Unique. I've been shooting 12gr of Unique with a Lee 255gr REAL boolit (yes a ML boolit) sized down to .501 and lubed with A-Lox. The freekin thing is unreal accurate at 50 yards often cuttin holes. I have not measured the velocity but I'm fairly sure its sub-sonic.

Joe C
10-08-2014, 01:48 AM
First off , I want to thank all for the replies .

I decided to try the Trailboss powder since the hodgdon manual showed a load that had the lowest velocity of any other data I could find, and I had no clue where to start with powders like bullseye, red dot , etc.

It had a load of 8 grs for 750fps out of a 10" bbl .

I am shooting a 5" gun so just the 5" less barrel would drop it a bit .

I loaded up 3 each of 7 gr , 6 gr , and 5 gr.

I shot them over the chrono .

I don't remember the numbers exactly but I think the 7 gr was in the hi 500 fps range
the 6 gr load in the low 500 fps range , and the 5 gr load I used , ( I remember those numbers) was in the
450 - 500 fps range .

I wanted to chrono the fire lap loads , but it was getting kind of dark and the chrono wouldn't read them ,but they felt a little hotter .
Probably because of the increased resistance of the lapping bullets.

thanks again for the suggestions

Joe

44man
10-08-2014, 10:12 AM
I don't know why to fire lap a S&W. Super good barrels as they are. But Bullseye has been the powder to just get a boolit to exit. You can see the boolit go if right. No need for speed. I doubt a lapping load will get to 200 fps. Even if a boolit falls out the muzzle, it is enough.

kenyerian
10-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Always used bullseye.

jrayborn
10-09-2014, 12:30 PM
What is the reason to have the boolit at such a low speed? No argument either for or against the practice, just curious.

dubber123
10-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Keeping the speed low on a relatively soft lead boolit helps prevent any skidding when going up the bore. You want the lapping slug to follow the lands/grooves as closely as possible. You also are basically shooting unlubed boolits, and it doesn't take much speed to start leading a bore.

jrayborn
10-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks!

44man
10-10-2014, 10:34 AM
The reason to not use too soft too. Veral suggests around air cooled WW lead so it will not skid.

dubber123
10-10-2014, 09:27 PM
The reason to not use too soft too. Veral suggests around air cooled WW lead so it will not skid.

Air cooled WW's is all I have ever used, and it has always worked perfectly for me.