PDA

View Full Version : Got my wife in on the fun

dilly
10-07-2014, 01:31 PM
My wife has been shooting with me many times but never seems to really enjoy it much. You can tell when she looks at you that she's trying to figure out how long before we leave.

Out of the blue she asks me if I'll take her shooting last weekend, so we dropped off the baby at her parents and went to the range. I had been trying to get her to try my AR15 so that she could use it if she ever had need in self defense, so I brought that, and I brought my Savage 99 for my benefit. She shot the AR15 but decided it was too big and had too much kick (cut her some slack, she's about 100lbs). She could shoot it but didn't like it very much.

When I pulled out the Savage 99, though, she was interested. The rifle is in 308 Winchester but I was shooting a powdercoated Saeco 315 (~175gr) over 18.2gr 2400 so it was pretty mild. We mostly shot it at 25 yards because I wasn't trying to impress anybody, but just have a good time. That shorter distance made her feel a lot more confident and she really perked up and enjoyed herself. She shot through that whole box and I've spent the time since then loading up a bunch more of those rounds so she'll be able to enjoy some of them when the next time comes around. She really enjoyed the reduced recoil of light loads.

Darned if I can't ever predict what things she'll like, but it's nice when you find something she does.

nagantguy
10-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Good for you. Amazing how much more household budget can go to shooting when you both enjoy it. When I met my wife she was afraid of guns now she is real good with handgun and shot gun. Okay with rifle but likes the pistols and scatter guns best.also learned to load roi D's for her .357 that she carries.

Harter66
10-07-2014, 02:38 PM
My GF was not an anti but ...... had her reasons . Anyway I got her out to shoot a couple of times on Friday we're going deer hunting and maybe chase some ducks and geese Chucker and rabbits. Heck in May she killed a couple of hogs all by herself, well "just put the vertical on the elbow and the horizontal about half way down ". I think she's disappointed if there's not something expected or waiting to be mailed.

ourflat
10-07-2014, 02:43 PM
My wife and I got our conceal carry permits together. Had a blast beating down the Instructor with "what if" and "what happens when" questions!

Frank

osteodoc08
10-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Mine loves the 45!

bigarm
10-07-2014, 03:38 PM
My wife started shooting cowboy action shooting when I did with 44 specials. Now is shooting USPSA and 3 gun with a 45 acp while I use a whimpy 40.

gwpercle
10-07-2014, 04:02 PM
dilly, when you've been married as long as I have , you learn to watch for certain signs. Like the sudden interest in shooting when before there had been no interest! ....have you done anything lately to make her mad, been seeing another gal , been texting stuff you shouldn't be texting, taken out a large life insurance policy???? Watch for the signs man, an angry, armed vengeful woman is not to be trifled with especially if she's a good shot with that AR.
Just saying,
Gary

osteodoc08
10-07-2014, 04:40 PM
dilly, when you've been married as long as I have , you learn to watch for certain signs. Like the sudden interest in shooting when before there had been no interest! ....have you done anything lately to make her mad, been seeing another gal , been texting stuff you shouldn't be texting, taken out a large life insurance policy???? Watch for the signs man, an angry, armed vengeful woman is not to be trifled with especially if she's a good shot with that AR.
Just saying,
Gary

Coke up the nose burns. Thanks!

Harter66
10-07-2014, 04:43 PM
But doc your sinuses are clear now .

pjames32
10-07-2014, 07:48 PM
After over 45 years of wedded bliss my bride has finally gotten interested in shooting. I've had her in classes in the past and she was an "OK" shooter, but not really interested in going to the range. Something has changed that. I think the murder of a couple at a rest area in their camper and we do travel with our 5th wheel.
She had a Kimber Carry Pro II, loves it and shoots it well. Last month she decided she wanted something more compact for purse carry and SHE bought an S&W .40 Shield. She is now shooting it well.
Buying more reloading stuff has become less of an issue and if it relates to her "shooting" I've gotten brave and charged it to her credit card.
If I come home drunk and late I can assure you I will be ringing the neighbor's door bell :)

Shiloh
10-07-2014, 08:47 PM
My wifes interest tapered off after we where married.
I asked her just before we go married if she wanted to go to the Pawnee Nat'l Grasslands and poof some prarie dogs.
I got the look.

Shiloh

USAFrox
10-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Just AFTER we got married, my wife tells me that I need to get rid of all the guns (this was before I lost them all in that tragic boating accident, of course), since she didn't want guns in the house. I just laughed. It wasn't too long after that that she told me I couldn't have any more guns until I bought HER a 9mm.

It's just too bad about that boating accident, though...

gcsteve
10-08-2014, 08:15 PM
My wife wasn't too interested in guns or shooting...at first. But she didn't mind me pursuing my hobby. I encouraged her to come to the range a few times, and she warmed up to the .22 Henry rifle, then some lighter shooting revolver loads. Now she is in a two-handed league at our club. The league is designed for beginning shooters to work on shooting skills. Her favorite gun is a 45 ACP revolver.

And my mom (70 years old) went and got her first hunting license and a 20ga Remmington 870 this year! Go Mom!

dilly
10-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Well who knows if the wife's interest will continue or not but I have high hopes that I can get the baby hooked when he ages a bit.

Bzcraig
10-08-2014, 11:36 PM
In the past my wife would occasionally shoot with me almost dutifully. One she put a 38 snubby in her hand with some real light Trailboss loads she was hooked. Then I got her a stainless snubby of her own I polished and put a pink grip on for Mothers Day she was all in. She now suggests we head to the range half the time. It's pretty cool!

Cherokee
10-09-2014, 09:00 AM
My wife went shooting with me a couple of times before we married, now 52 years later she has been to the range once, and that was because her GF wanted to try out a gun her father left her. But, she never gives me any flack about my interest.

41 mag fan
10-09-2014, 09:16 AM
My ex didn't care a bit about shooting. .. in fact she got a little resentful if I'd buy reloading stuff at the end... but it was ok if she spent every penny we had on getting her nails done.. tanning. .ect ect... but we split and went out own ways. .. now I've got a gf... she absolutely loves shooting. .. I've moved in with her 6mo ago. .. this morning we are going to a Isaac Walter range to tour and join that's close to the house. ..Last week she bought her first handgun. ..a RIA 9mm/22tcm... she told me yesterday we need to go shopping for 9mm molds... she wants to learn how to cast! I think I broke my neck when I heard her say that! I can see us being quite the happy pair. .. heck last thursday my father came for a visit for the first time. ... she wanted to get the 45s out and visit as we shot! Life is good!

rmark
10-10-2014, 08:16 PM
'so we dropped off the baby at her parents and went to the range '

I have a photo of my daughter in diapers with ear muffs on while me, my wife, and my brother were shooting shotguns one afternoon.

oldfart1956
10-10-2014, 09:03 PM
A tip-o-the-hat to all you folks getting your significant others involved. Too many idiots hand them a hot loaded snubby .357 and wonder why they don't like shooting. Start them out on light loads and most important...let them pick which gun they like. Then let them decide when/if they're ready to get more involved. My sister-in-law had no interest in guns (married 40 years) until I loaned the 1911 to her husband. (big brother Art) She snatched that thing up and I hadda fight to get it back. Loaded light and lots of mags to go with it and she giggled like a schoolgirl. Her other new favorite? My Trapdoor Springfield with Trailboss loads. Go figger? Audie...the Oldfart..

Three44s
10-11-2014, 10:08 AM
My wife likes shooting but not as much as I do.

She has her concealed permit as well.

But she remarked after the beheading in OK that it was enough to make her think about carrying all the time as opposed to keeping her snub nose in the car locker.

Maybe that is what is fueling a recent upsurge in female interest in shooting.

Three 44s

gwpercle
10-11-2014, 03:14 PM
My wife , before we were married and dating, would go shooting with me all the time, seem to enjoy it. After we were married, she never shot with me and went to the range very little.
When I asked her about it she says " I never did really enjoy shooting, I just enjoyed being with you , you enjoyed it so I pretended I did too.
So now I'm wondering, Is that considered "faking it"? I guess as long as one of us is enjoying something it's OK. Wonder what else she's been "faking"......no I don't really want to know the answer to that...ignorance is bliss.
Gary

Pilgrim
10-12-2014, 03:51 PM
The wife went to the range with me "way back when" and seemed mildly interested so I got her a Ruger Bearcat (small .22 LR handgun) and a .22 hornet single shot rifle. All was well until a groundhog started eating her flowers...he started it! She finally spotted him eating and took the hornet to teach him to stop doing that. She hit him and he ran for his hole under the barn. He made it as far as the back side of a log that lined the driveway. Wife didn't want it to suffer so she took the bearcat to finish him off. He apparently was gasping his last when she shot him the 2nd time. I haven't been able to get her out shooting since. She can't even watch the Nat Geo or other wildlife TV shows if one critter is killing a other. Phooey! Pilgrim

pjames32
10-12-2014, 04:40 PM
My wife , before we were married and dating, would go shooting with me all the time, seem to enjoy it. After we were married, she never shot with me and went to the range very little.
When I asked her about it she says " I never did really enjoy shooting, I just enjoyed being with you , you enjoyed it so I pretended I did too.
So now I'm wondering, Is that considered "faking it"? I guess as long as one of us is enjoying something it's OK. Wonder what else she's been "faking"......no I don't really want to know the answer to that...ignorance is bliss.
Gary

Wedding cake seems to alter what a lot of women like!
Pjames32