PDA

View Full Version : Ever want to try a new press just because? Considering Lee cast turret that's on sale

Tallbald
10-07-2014, 10:51 AM
I've recently returned to reloading after a thirty year absence. Back in preparation for the unknown before Y2K, I bought a Lee American kit with the Lee Turret press (the lighter weight one made of alloy). It does fine on the pistol rounds I load, specifically .357, .38 Special and .44 magnum. But in reading some of the voluminous archived posts here, I ran across a link to a comparative three part article on the Lee Classic turret press, made of cast iron and steel. Nice.The article was very complimentary of the design and engineering (I, as a retired tool and die maker appreciate well made tools) despite the lower cost. Accessories and add-ons were discussed well.
If for no other reason than my love for cast iron heavy duty tools that remind me of vintage industrial machines, I am seriously contemplating "upgrading" if you will. For $189 I can buy a kit with the cast iron turret press, the Pro Powder dispenser, the auto priming mechanism (I currently use the old style Lee hand primer), a the scale (I already have one though) and several other items that would duplicate my current holdings. The press alone would be right at $110. The kit would include an updated (I believe) loading manual with (I hope) Trail Boss loads and some of the newer powders. I had even considered that I could sell locally some of the items I didn't need to help recover the cost. Or even gift the older kit to a new cash strapped reloading-wannabe.
So is simple "want" of a new press enough justification for purchase you suppose? Am I the only person facing this question? Don

mdi
10-07-2014, 11:11 AM
If you're already reloading, and have all the tools, you won't need a kit. I'd recommend other manuals over the Lee, my opinion, and I think the Lyman 49th is a great manual with a good "How To" section. So, with what you already have, a Classic Cast Turret and a good manual will get you going quite well, and be a bit less expensive...

My "old style" Lee turret is still cranking out ammo for me (9mm up to 30-06), but I still get urges for something new "just because". I quit justifying my hobby purchases a while back 'cause I get tons of enjoyment from my casting/reloading/shooting/gun customizing/etc...

nhrifle
10-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Stop waiting and just get one. Talk to the nice folks at Titan Reloading and they will set you up. You won't regret it.

country gent
10-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Other than the basics need to actually produce ammo most of what we have is want more so than need. I recently purchased a RCBS Summit press because I wanted to try it out. I have dedicated presses for certain things. A Lyman Oarnge crusher for heavy case forming projects, A rcbs rock chucker that I started with. A Bonanza Coax that was an upgrade from the rockchucker and several light aluminum lee presses that are used when I want to load at the range. If you want it and its okay with the budget get it.

Sensai
10-07-2014, 01:49 PM
What does "need" have to do with anything ? :twisted: I must have nine or ten metallic cartridge presses and another six or seven shotshell presses lying around. There are also three hand presses, just in case I get caught out and about when the loading urge hits! How many do I need, maybe one metallic cartridge and one each gauge shotshell. It sure is nice to be able to choose the one that most closely matches the job at hand, though. I don't think you will regret getting the Classic Cast Turret, it's one of my favorite presses. :)

Garyshome
10-07-2014, 02:04 PM
I have a Dillon and NO!

Digger
10-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Yes , get the Cast Turret ..... I have had mine for the last few years and it has turned out to be the best one from the beginning ! .....
Love the cast iron base , very strong and the function is straight forward four hole turret .
Picked mine up from Kempf's gun shop back when in one of their package deals.
Last couple of days tho have been distracted by this Hollywood senior sitting next to it ...

Char-Gar
10-07-2014, 04:01 PM
If you love tools and want a cast iron turret press, the skip Lee and go directly to Redding. The difference in price is reflected in the difference in quality.

claude
10-07-2014, 04:48 PM
I purchased the Lee Classic Cast kit a few years ago, and it works well, it isn't a high dollar outfit, but it does a good job. It you do decide to get the kit, and intend to load rifle cartridges, you will require a separate powder through die, you will be limited in the charge weight you can throw through the auto disk measure, even with the double disk kit 50 grs. is pretty close to max. I use the double disk for my 44 mag simply because the single disk set isn't quite enough and the double disk gives me more options.

The auto prime set up save a lot of time, but you must be aware that there can be a certain learning cure, it isn't as simple as Ron Pepeil's set it and forget it like the video shows, mine requires a certain finesse. That being said, it has primed thousands of pieces of brass pretty much without incident.

The primer catcher is a great idea, it catches 100% of the primers if the primer seater is in place and 99% if I'm using it as a decapping tool only. One can remove the indexing shaft and use it as a hand advanced turret, or a single station press.

I have had no issues with 45-70 or 30-06, the press handles them well, I do however charge the cases off press with a different powder measure, but that may be a personal choice more than anything because my auto disk is set up for another caliber and I don't want to take it apart and reset it.

If you are okay with the regular turret press, the Lee Classic Cast just is a little bit more substantial, go for it.

jmort
10-07-2014, 05:00 PM
It ain't three times better. If you read reviews from actual owners, they have similar ratings and are both well liked.

Tallbald
10-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks everyone. I believe I'll go ahead and make the jump. I'll see how it works out and look into locally selling all or part of what I now have but won't need. The added leverage of the cast iron turret press will, I'm hoping help cut down on shoulder and joint pain (psoriatic arthritis) I have when using the smaller press. I enjoyed reading the responses. Oh. The Lee is in my price range, whereas the Redding isn't. Both are beautiful presses. Don.

dragon813gt
10-07-2014, 05:24 PM
If you love tools and want a cast iron turret press, the skip Lee and go directly to Redding. The difference in price is reflected in the difference in quality.

Not self indexing so why bother w/ one. The LCT is up to the task of reloading almost any round. I've loaded 308 on mine w/ little effort and minimal runout. Non indexing turret presses make no sense to me.

I bought a Lee Classic Cast just because. It's pushed a couple of other presses off the bench. It's stout and worth every penny. I use it for case forming and F/L sizing rifle cases most often.

Weaponologist
10-07-2014, 06:43 PM
What does "need" have to do with anything ? :twisted: I must have nine or ten metallic cartridge presses and another six or seven shotshell presses lying around. There are also three hand presses, just in case I get caught out and about when the loading urge hits! How many do I need, maybe one metallic cartridge and one each gauge shotshell. It sure is nice to be able to choose the one that most closely matches the job at hand, though. I don't think you will regret getting the Classic Cast Turret, it's one of my favorite presses. :)

I agree with this way of thinking, Reloading is becoming my primary hobby. There are a few Presses I intend to buy before it's over. . and a few Powder measures ...and Scales....:drinks:

mold maker
10-07-2014, 07:32 PM
If your used to hand priming, the RCBS Summit is available on sale for $170. Its a heck of a press, and RCBS has a rebate of up to $50. on top of that.
Down side (not really) is no priming ability.
I'm guilty of wanting lots more than I actually need, but what the heck. It's like an investment.

Mike Kerr
10-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Don,
You will really love that Lee Classic Turret with all of its strong linkage and base. Plus it indexes very smoothly. BTW welcome to this Forum. I remember your leather work over on THR and I am sure you will soon be at home here.

Tallbald
10-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Thank you all again so much! I am 56. Like so many of us I sort of worked myself into a damaged body over the years, and I'm a little suprised that I'm still here. I am such a lucky man to have the wonderful spouse that I do, and she also has medical issues. Together we've saved and been thrifty for many years, and we do have a nest egg . When she wants/needs a new tool for her hobby we do our best to get it. She also insists that I have what I want/need and asks "honey who are you saving it for?". She's encouraging me to jump in and buy the heavier press because it may be easier for me to use, given my physical troubles. My two hobbies are shooting and leather crafting (mostly holsters). Hers are quilting and making costume jewelry that she sells some through craft shows.
Mike thanks for the note of recognition and the welcome! I do love THR and have been there for a number of years. So much usually polite information shared there , even when I once asked in humor if others were distressed at the shortage of "tactical accessories" available for my Ruger Old Army such as light rails, loaded cylinder carriers for speed reloads and flash suppressors. Oh. Since I've been here I've become set up for casting my own .457 round ball for the Old Army...woo hoo no more 14 cent a round commercial swaged balls! Thanks again. Don
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j420/tallbald/061.jpg (http://s1084.photobucket.com/user/tallbald/media/061.jpg.html)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Go ahead and get the Lee Classic Turret, but don't order it as a kit. Instead, order a kit of "all the trimmings" you select, including the Lee Safety Prime in Large/Small primer, Pro Auto Disk, adjustable charge bar, micro disk if they still sell it and a double disk kit. If you take the time and tune it/polish it smooth it up properly, you'll really enjoy the press. If you want to add rifle, get a used RCBS Uniflow and a Hornady LnL case activated powder drop and you'll be set for rifle powders.

If you have question on how to adjust the press for maximum performance/speed, pm me and I'll be glad to advise.

shoot-n-lead
10-07-2014, 10:24 PM
I liked my Classic cast turret so much, I just traded it...after years of no use. I prefer to use the Dillon for my turret...never needs tweaking.

Tallbald
10-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Shoot-in-lead I do hear you. Thing is I could stretch my budget to the limits and finance a Dillon leaving little reserve, or buy what I can comfortably afford now and relax, spend some time tweaking and deal with the idiosyncrasies of a less costly alternative. Those Dillons are wonderful (and their calender is fetching if they still make it) but are out of my financial league. I don't mind tweaking while reloading any more than I mind tweaking my guns or band saw out in the shop.
Probably more information than anyone here wants, but I put a pencil (yes I'm old school) to the difference in the kit on sale at MidwayUSA and the individual components of the Lee Classic cast turret and accessories. The only rifle I reload for is my 77/357 Ruger (music to my ears....... ahhhhh........77/357.......), and .44 magnum. Right now I don't see a need for my wife and me (she also shoots extensively) to buy the accessories to do rifle loads.
At Midway, the kit is on sale for $189.99. Individually, the press, the pro auto powder measure, and the large/small auto primer gizmo come to right at $165. For the $25 extra, I will get a new loading manual, another scale I can set to one load and leave (with safety checks), another chamfer tool, a case trimmer with lock stud, more sizing lube, and another primer pocket cleaner (I don't use the one I have though since I stainless steel media tumble)., I could if needed sell the unused items and recover a few dollars on the kit.........or enlist my adult, shooting enthusiast son in the reloading hobby and have him work at my side (with a promise that I'll bathe first) prepping cases. May even offer to show him how to load for his 9MM tactical Tupperware when he finally gets tired of paying 27 cents a round on a good day for commercial ammo. I can also set up the smaller press I will have as a dedicated sizing press for the .358 gang mold boolits I'll be making. Don

Horace
10-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Nope.Never.

Horace

dikman
10-08-2014, 04:46 AM
I say go for it, Tallbald (looking at the photo, I see where your name comes from ;)). I'm sure you'll get a lot of pleasure out of having a new press - I know I will, I've ordered a Lee 4-hole Turret (the model you have) and it's due any day now. I didn't order the Classic because the extra weight was not good for overseas shipping!!!

From what you've said I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of it.

Lead Fred
10-08-2014, 06:01 AM
I have 3 presses, two 1970s RCBS Jrs & a 1952 Lyman

I would not buy a newer RCBS, and I never would buy a LEE

Chinese craftmanship isnt my bag

bedbugbilly
10-08-2014, 08:21 AM
To each their own . . . some like Chevy . . some like Ford.

I use a Classic Lee turret and love it. Never had a problem with it and I like the quick changeover of turret plates to different calibers. I'm always hearing about the "tweaking" and sometimes scratch my head at that. I set mine up according to the instructions (and I don't normally read instructions) and there has never been a need to "tweak" mine. Mine primarily gets used for pistol cartridges and I batch load rifle on an older RCBS Jr 3 single stage.

I'm not a fan of all Lee equipment but I'd have no problem buying another Lee classic turret again.

And . . . a big +1 to Titan Reloading. They are good folks to deal with and give great service.

jmort
10-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Lee Precision presses are Made in the USA as are current production RCBS.

RobS
10-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Lots of people want to always talk down Lee however the Lee Classic Turret is a well made press. I loaded tons of rounds on one and never a problem. The Lee Turret press is self indexing so any other Turret press is not quite the same i.e. Redding, Lyman, RCBS etc.

jmorris
10-08-2014, 10:26 AM
I have. I bought two LNL's just to have an informed opinion on them. The last Lee press I bought just to make something else out of it. As cheap as Lee stuff is, I have spent more on dinner than what they cost. Why not?

FWIW I think the LEE turret may be the best value one can get in a reloading machine.

Tallbald
10-08-2014, 02:50 PM
I took the plunge and ordered the Lee Classic Cast turret this morning. I also spent the extra $25 though for the kit, figuring that an extra set of small accessories won't hurt when one rolls under the cabinet somewhere and I can't find it.My wife Miss Penny insists that I reload at the kitchen table instead of out in the garage where it's neither heated or cooled, so I plan to bolt the new press to an oak milled plank, face the bottom with scrap leather to prevent table damage, and use it that way. I shall be able to leave it set up (minus powder and primers) and clamped to my old cabinet rollaround tool box in the garage. I'll sew up a cloth cover to drape over it (yes I sew. Leather and cloth. My favorite cloth sewing machine is a 1934 Singer 201 hand cranked cast iron and black laquered beauty that is displayed in our dining room...). Looking forward to learning the needed tweaks on this high quality and affordable cartridge machine. And thans again for all the input. For me, the decision was clear. Don.

oldfart1956
10-08-2014, 09:09 PM
As mentioned you're gonna love the Classic Cast. I won't say it's actually better than the non-cast but it's an excellent press. You mentioned having some physical issues so here's a tidbit. The lever on the press is a mile long and provides a ton of leverage. But it's a long reach from up to down. When I'm loading rounds that don't require a lot of leverage (auto-pistol rounds) I swap out a short lever. (you mentioned loading 9mm for the son) Take 2 pieces of 1/2 inch copper and a 90+ copper fitting. I made the lever 9 inches, by eyeball, long, and then soldered the 90+ fitting and added a piece the width of my hand to it. Now you have a short "L" shaped lever. The copper works fine and no it doesn't bend. Loads of video tweeks on youtube for the Classic. Audie...the Oldfart..

LeftyDon
10-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Lee classic turret works fine for me. Everything from .357's to 30 cal rifle loads. Kit is okay if you have no reloading "stuff" but many of the pieces aren't the world's greatest, wait that would have to be Herter's stuff, and so just getting the press might make sense if you want to shop for the other items. Do check the Lee site for reconditioned presses, sometimes a classic turret will be there.

Tallbald
10-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the help. A shorter handle for pistol loads may really help with a few physical issues. I only load .38 Special, .357 and .44 Mag. I can try for an ideal length several times as I cut the handle shorter. I've already ordered the kit, in fact early this morning from MidwayUSA. The more I consider it the more I believe that aside from the smallest parts (primer pocket cleaner and chamfer tool) I will be able to use the other duplicate components here and there. And perhaps pass them on to a new reloader at an opportune time. Don

UNIQUEDOT
10-08-2014, 11:18 PM
You don't need to cut the handle on the cc turret as it's adjustable for length on that model. If your bench has a closed front you would have to cut a clearance path for the handle...or cut the lever shorter.

dikman
10-09-2014, 12:01 AM
Hey Tallbald, I've got one of them too - Singer 201K. Beautiful piece of work, built to last several lifetimes! Mind you, it's taken me several years to get around to figuring out why it wouldn't sew!!! Turns out the bobbin tension was way too heavy (gotta love the 'net, managed to find the "workshop manual" and a Singer forum (!) which gave me the info I needed to set it correctly). I was hoping to do leather, but it's obviously not designed for that.

oldfart1956
10-09-2014, 08:36 PM
You don't need to cut the handle on the cc turret as it's adjustable for length on that model. If your bench has a closed front you would have to cut a clearance path for the handle...or cut the lever shorter.Uniquedot is correct on the handle of course. The way mine is mounted on the bench there is no way to move the handle further down. Had a brain fart there. My bench is a rather large old writing desk, 3 drawers on each side with the wide drawer in the center. I had to narrow down the center drawer and mount the press, so the handle won't bypass the 3 drawers on the right. Duh. I did keep the original handle as is for heavy work but made shorter handles for others. Audie...the forgetful Oldfart..

Tallbald
10-10-2014, 01:18 AM
I'm supposed to receive my new press tomorrow by end of the day according to UPS tracking. I think I'll make a short handle to accommodate my needs. The kitchen table I reload at is really an industrial maple top workbench Penny and I found at Sam's Club for $200 when we moved in our home. I clamp my Lee press, which is mounted on an oak plank, to the table (bench) top. Through the years, I've made a few dings and dents in the solid maple top while involved in projects. And there are a few cigarette burns from stray ashes (no I don't smoke around reloading components or when loading). Invariably my wife says" honey don't worry about it. The marks give it character". This evening we cleared it off so she could cut out a baby quilt on the bench.
Dikman here's a photo of my Singer hand crank 201. Dating to 1934, it somehow made its way to the USA from Scotland. It sews a fantastic straight stitch, and is seen below setting on our above referenced kitchen "table". I use a Cowboy 3500 leather sewing machine to make all my holsters, two of which are shown below. Having several interests and hobbies is a good thing I guess. Thanks. Don
Moderators please delete if I should not be posting these pictures here. Don

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j420/tallbald/P3091929.jpg (http://s1084.photobucket.com/user/tallbald/media/P3091929.jpg.html)

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j420/tallbald/P6302240.jpg (http://s1084.photobucket.com/user/tallbald/media/P6302240.jpg.html)

Pinsnscrews
10-10-2014, 03:57 AM
I see no reason to delete pics relevent to the thread ;-)

nice call all on the press. When I got mine, I bolted it to a Microwave cart with the wheels removed. Loaded .308, .222 and resized 30-30 cases to .357 Herrett with it mounted like that. I finally mounted it to a real workbench when I started loading 10mm.

The he only gripe I have about mine is the routing of spent primers...or more accurately, the lack there of ;). I am sure someone has made something to change that, but I haven't bothered to look yet.

Nice holster btw, and To keep in time with the latest photos, I learned to sew on an old singer with a trundle pedal rig...I miss that old machine and have been keeping an eye out for one.

ljnowell
10-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Only took seven posts for someone to cone in and say Dillon, what a surprise.

Tallbald
10-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Dillons are beautiful pieces of machinery as are new trucks and Corvettes. But I can neither afford a Dillon, a new truck, or a Corvette. But I remain happy for those who can and do, and when I come up beside a person with the Corvette at a stoplight I tell them it's beautiful. I'm not jealous. I'm .......satisfied. And again thanks for the good thoughts folks. Don

dikman
10-10-2014, 07:02 PM
In my case it's not usually a matter of whether I can afford something, it's more a case of how much I really want to spend. For my needs I couldn't see the point in spending lots and lots of $$ on a Hornady, Dillon (and they are pricey out here) etc when the Lee should be more than adequate for my needs. I'll only be reloading 44-40, and if I do decide to reload anything else it'll only be revolver rounds of some description (I have no interest in high power rifles).

My Lee arrived yesterday (whoopee!) and I spent most of the day trying to get the dies set up right (RCBS 3-Die set, and the instructions for setting the crimper didn't make a lot of sense so I ended up doing it by trial and error once I figured out how it's supposed to work). Only loaded one without powder :oops: and three that seated the boolit a bit too far down - not bad out of ten rounds! It can only get better.

I went into town to get more brass and noticed they had a few presses on display, including the Classic Turret. Now that I have mine for a comparison, I could see that the Classic is definitely a beefier design overall, plus it looks like the spent primers drop out through the ram? (Cost a lot more than mine did!). I reckon you'll be very happy with your new one, Tallbald.

That Singer is almost identical to mine, the main difference appears to be the wooden base (mine is much plainer). Mine was made in 1948, same year I was born :D. I found that it will sew thin leather, as in gloves, but obviously not holster-grade stuff.
I like old machinery and stuff, which is probably why I got interested in blacksmithing and black powder guns - there's nothing quite like shooting the Holy Black :bigsmyl2:.

shoot-n-lead
10-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Only took seven posts for someone to cone in and say Dillon, what a surprise.

Yeah, and with good reason and well intentioned.

ljnowell
10-10-2014, 08:34 PM

Good reason? That's debatable. I have reloaded on Dillon, hornady, and Lee progressives. I could have bought any of them when I bought my last progressive. I chose to save a lot of money to spend on powder and bought a Lee. It's worked absolutely flawlessly because I know how to follow directions. It's amazing what happens when you do that.

Okie73
10-11-2014, 02:45 PM
I love my Classic Turret press and have all my dies set up ready to go. It makes reloading even more enjoyable.

dragon813gt
10-11-2014, 05:18 PM

Neither good reason or well intentioned. It was to slam Lee products as usual. Not everyone wants or needs a Dillon press. I will never understand why people forget this little fact. At the end of day why do you care what press someone else uses? I know I don't.

dikman
10-11-2014, 08:21 PM
The Lee turret model that I now have may not be as solid as a cast steel unit, but for what it's meant for it looks pretty good. I'm quite impressed with the design and construction, considering the relatively low price. The only problem I had was when re-sizing boolits, some were jamming in the sizer, but I found I had screwed the sizer too far into the turret - when I backed it out it allowed the compound lever to work better (so the problem was me, not the press).

Like everything, it can always be improved upon, and I've modified it to add a spent primer collector (rather than have them drop into the hollow body of the press) and I'm making a shorter straight arm, as I've found I only need the long arm when re-sizing boolits.

As has been said before, Lee makes reloading affordable for the "casual" user.

r1kk1
10-12-2014, 11:21 PM
I wish the die spacing was of greater distance so I could use any lockring I wanted like Forster or Sinclair. It may have toolheads but I still swap neck sizers for a full length sizer occasionally.

For necking cases down I could see the use for a turret. It would be faster than using my current single stage with LNL bushing installed.

Take care

r1kk1