PDA

View Full Version : TC Hawken 50 Cal Repair

Wizwheel
10-07-2014, 10:50 AM
I have a Hawken that has not been taken care of. It had a maxi-ball with powder stuck in it. I soaked it with Penetrating oil, Got the ball out.

The nipple was in bad shape, and the threads came out with the nipple. Is there anyone that has repaired one? Is there an oversize nipple thread I could tap this out to? Heli-Coil? Looking at the next size up thread .275-28 thread?

I'm leary of going oversize, but if there is a safe way to do it, i'd be interested in hearing about it.

Otherwise - Its a wall hanger.

Mark

mj2evans
10-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Call Track of the Wolf. I am sure this is not the first time this question has been asked.

nhrifle
10-07-2014, 11:46 AM
My first thought would be to try a helicoil. It is possible to remove the breech from the barrel and replace it.

mooman76
10-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Breeches are difficult to remove and then you have to get it lined up they way it was. That should be the last thing you should do. I'd go with a larger nipple myself and yes they do make them. One could replace the powder drum but I'm a thinkin T/Cs didn't have a removable powder drum. Is that correct?

A couple other places you could try are Dixie gunworks, and Cainsoutdoors.

bubba.50
10-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Track of the Wolf sells oversize nipples & taps to use with them. if this will not fix the problem I'd replace the breechplug or get a new barrel. a few years back Green Mountain screwed up a bunch of barrels by mistakenly installing metric nipples in American threaded breechplugs. they tried to fix the problem by re-doin' them with heli-coils. after a few nipples went flyin' by shooter eyes/ears they decided maybe it would be better to recall the barrels & do them right by replacin' the breechplugs. you can read about it on their site. luck to ya & have a good'en, bubba.

KCSO
10-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Over size nipples are readily available in 5 10 and 15 thou over.

scooterdavr56
10-08-2014, 01:10 AM
Check eBay,you can get a new breach plug and plug wrench for not too much. Since T/C isn't making the Hawken anymore that's about your best bet. You can also get barrels there as well as other parts although eBay can be a bit pricey. You can also find barrels at kittery trading post in Kittery, Maine. They have a website, prices are pretty fair.

Col4570
10-08-2014, 02:37 AM
I once sleeved the bolster on a P53 Enfield by making a male female sleeve.I did the o.d thread 7/16"NF and the inside 5/16" and used Locktight to fit it.I wonder if this could be done on the T C with smaller dimensions.It would depend on if there is enough Metal in the Bolster.I would steer clear of Helicoils since they are for permanent fixing and not for constant removal of the nipple.

Lead Fred
10-08-2014, 06:11 AM
Dixie Gun Works has way more parts than track does

10-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Before I would do too much repair, I'd examine the interior as best I could. If there is that much corrosion damage, I'd wonder if the remaining integrity was up to snuff.

triggerhappy243
10-10-2014, 01:15 PM
I cannot believe that there is not someone competent enough to properly replace the breech plug. This would be the safest way to go.

KCSO
10-10-2014, 01:32 PM
If you are still stymied and want a standard 1/4 28 nipple send me the breech plug and we will fil with tig weld and machine and retap to 1/4 28 for you.

Gibbs44
10-10-2014, 01:34 PM
There is, the local gun smith should be able to if the op isn't up to it. Otherwise a new barrel from Green Mountain looks like that'd be the way to go. I'd have to price check to see which one is cheaper.

fouronesix
10-10-2014, 01:39 PM
GM quit making those quite a while back. There are still some T/C barrels and GM drop-ins floating around but getting harder to find and of course more expensive.

If the bore is trashed, not much point in replacing the hooked breech plug (bolster in the case of the T/C) or nipple seat.

Those T/C bolsters are swaged in very tight and if it's badly rusted, it may take some serious effort to remove. Even with a special wrench designed for the T/C bolster, it will likely distort or bugger it some during the process.

flyingmonkey35
10-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Photo of damaged part please.

bob208
10-11-2014, 06:12 PM
i have removed a lot of tc breaches.i have fixed more then a few threads like you have stripped. if you have the right tools it is no problem. if the barrel is bad it could be freshed out by you even. or you could send it to bob hoyt to be rebored.

triggerhappy243
10-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Leave it to S&W to screw up a good thing.

Yodogsandman
10-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Contact Thompson Center Arms for service/warranty work at http://www.tcarms.com/contact
They should fix it right for you. Why take a chance?

oldracer
10-11-2014, 08:01 PM
As noted earlier, I would give TC a call and talk to some one. You can also get a replacement barrel with a new breech which might be the safest way to go. Several places sell the replacement parts so if it were me that would be my route. I see you are in Michigan so there must be some gunsmiths up that way in the great north as even us flaky folks in southern CA have folks to work on guns when we need it.

triggerhappy243
10-11-2014, 10:20 PM
I would like to find someone who would make a drop in replacement bbl. in stainless steel for my renegade 50 cal.