PDA

View Full Version : IOS 8/8.1 and Youtube??

Wayne Smith
10-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Ever since I updated to 8 and now 8.1 on my iPad youtube links are dead. Any ideas from those of you who understand computers??

Bzcraig
10-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Having the same problem, I have to tap hard to get the links to work and do it several times.

dragon813gt
10-07-2014, 11:25 AM
They released it to early and it's extremely buggy. There are a lot of apps that still aren't compatible so that tells you lot. They've released a third version of it recently.

Cmm_3940
10-07-2014, 03:14 PM
IOS 8 was very buggy on my iPad 2. I was also displeased with the changes they made to Safari. I went back to 7.1.2 and jailbroke it so it would quit downloading 'upgrades' to 8 without my permission.

RayinNH
10-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Don't get too comfortable with Windows 8.1 because Windows 10 will be coming along. http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/09/30/announcing-windows-10/

dragon813gt
10-08-2014, 05:41 AM
Who's running Windows 8 on their iPads and iPhones?

Wayne Smith
10-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Obviously, I am, but am writing this on my Vaio Windows computer.

dragon813gt
10-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Obviously, I am, but am writing this on my Vaio Windows computer.

Okay, now I'm just confused. This thread is about iOS, correct? Not Windows OS so bringing up Win10 has no bearing.

Cmm_3940
10-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Obviously, iPhones and iPads - Apple products - run iOS and not Windows. Having seen both iOS 8 and Windows 8, I'm uncertain which is more loathsome.

RayinNH
10-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Okay, now I'm just confused. This thread is about iOS, correct? Not Windows OS so bringing up Win10 has no bearing.

That's my error in reading. I didn't see the "i" in front of OS. :oops:

Let it be a warning then that you'll have to deal with "it" when it becomes available.

bangerjim
10-08-2014, 01:57 PM
IOS8 fixes for the 2 are afoot! Latest I have found (for all of us suffering the slings and arrows of iPad 2 problems) is there will be major performance fixes in 8.2 coming out later this month.

Apple REALLY screwed-up on this one! BIG TIME!

Bluetooth connectivity is a disaster.

Performance is dead slow.

Lock ups

Crashes

Website problems

And who knows what else!

I did this and it seemed to help a little:

Clearing Safari History in Settings>Safari>Clear History and
Website Data then go into Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network
Settings.

That seems to improve performance a bit and I have not had any crashes since! Be aware you will have to reset all your network passwords, as this clears them. It will give you a bland screen with the white Apple and white crawl line just like installing new software. And your pad will shut down so you will have to turn it back on after a few minutes.

Hang in there............they are fixing the Rotten Apple Syndrome! I hope!!!!!! My wife's newer one has no problems at all due to the faster processer. they should have kept IOS7 up for backwards loading. Or blocked all 2's from doing the upgrade to 8.

It is called "no BETA testing on older products". All testers at Apple had the latest and greatest pads. A

nd this is a very convenient way to force sales of the new pad coming out next month!!!!

banger

dragon813gt
10-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Obviously, iPhones and iPads - Apple products - run iOS and not Windows. Having seen both iOS 8 and Windows 8, I'm uncertain which is more loathsome.

I will never understand the Win8 hate. I like it a lot but I'm also using it on a touchscreen Ultrabook. I always wait when hew iOS updates come out. And it's not just to see if the bugs are worked out. I wait for a stable untethered jailbreak to be released. I only recently updated from iOS 5 to ios7. And Pangu is nowhere close to the jailbreak that GreenPoison was.

Apple basically forces you to constantly upgrade your device. Eventually the apps no longer work on old iOS versions. The lack of support for old versions bothers me to no end. No one needs to update their phone every two years or so. Apple should never take down old versions of iOS. You should always have the option to roll it back at anytime. This bothers me to no end.

ourflat
10-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Ready to shoot mine! A fix better get here soon...

Frank

bangerjim
10-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Jailbreaking is fine if you know what you are doing and want to void any warranty that is there.

I prefer not to do it.

Case in point: Had a new AppleTV my son "broke" B4 giving to me as a present. It lost 1/2 of it's functionallity and was not able to do any software updates.

Threw it away and bought another one and did not touch it. Works GREAT!

The whole idea of the Apple-based insanity is to have hack-proof/virus-proof/100% workable and safe apps. Jail Breaking seems to remove all that.

I am a WIN PC man and have always been. I have migrated to this Pippin-infested world of iThis and iThat only recently because of the ease and safety of operation.

After this latest IOS8 debacle, I am on the fence to go back to Android-based devices.

I read that the clown that was heading up the Apple Maps mess was put in charge of the development/rollout of this mess! Time for a firing. Apple has established 24/7 "war rooms" to monitor social media about nasty comments about IOS8. They are worried!

bangerjim

dragon813gt
10-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Jailbreaking does not make your phone more vulnerable unless you're an idiot. If you add SSH capability don't leave it on and change the default password. It's also fully reversible so you don't void your warranty. I've been jailbreaking since ios3 w/ no issues at all. The main Cydia sources can be trusted just as much as iTunes. The way Apple says you have to run your phone is retarder. No drag and drop for transferring music and pictures is the epitome of this. I've said it many times before. You wouldn't have half the features in the newer iOS releases if it wasn't for the jailbreak community. You like notification center and flip control? That's all spun off of Activator and SBsettings which are keystones of jailbreaking. The list is extensive so there is no point in going through it. Apple saw fit to not add features that I've had, since ios4, until ios7.

If you know what you're doing you have nothing to fear. If you're a casual user that doesn't mind doing things the way Apple says you have to then keeping it stock is best for you. But this can be said for the likes of firearms and automobiles as well. None of us have ever modified a firearm have we ;)

bangerjim
10-08-2014, 07:35 PM
So...............you are calling me an idiot?????????????

What kind of an idiot turns their phone off? Mine is on 24/7/365. Do you unplug your wired house phone when not using it? I think not.

How do you know if a family member is calling you in an emergency if it is turned off?

THAT, my friend, could be considered being an idiot.

And no, I do NOT like the notification garbage and flip control.

Sounds like you really need to get a Droid-based open phone.

Why not just leave good enough alone and quite suggesting jailbreaking Apple stuff? So many on here are not that technical at all and will really be in BIG trouble if they start following your hacking suggestions and messing with thier phones and pads. How many know what SSH is?

If someone knows what they are doing, by all means, let them j-break all their equipment. Just please do not make it sound that easy and compatible for everyone to do.

And.....for everybody else on here........the fix for 8 will be out in a few weeks from Apple. I have a feeling, with the huge amount of consumer pressure Apple is currrently feeling, they will get it right this time.

bangerjim

dragon813gt
10-08-2014, 07:50 PM
So...............you are calling me an idiot?????????????

What kind of an idiot turns their phone off? Mine is on 24/7/365. Do you unplug your wired house phone when not using it? I think not.

How do you know if a family member is calling you in an emergency if it is turned off?

THAT, my friend, could be considered being an idiot.

And no, I do NOT like the notification garbage and flip control.

Sounds like you really need to get a Droid-based open phone.

Why not just leave good enough alone and quite suggesting jailbreaking Apple stuff? So many on here are not that technical at all and will really be in BIG trouble if they start following your hacking suggestions and messing with thier phones and pads. How many know what SSH is?

If someone knows what they are doing, by all means, let them j-break all their equipment. Just please do not make it sound that easy and compatible for everyone to do.

And.....for everybody else on here........the fix for 8 will be out in a few weeks from Apple. I have a feeling, with the huge amount of consumer pressure Apple is currrently feeling, they will get it right this time.

bangerjim

Calm down there and don't tell me what I can and cant say. I forgot you are an expert when it comes to everything. If anyone has questions about jailbreaking please feel free to PM me. Don't let Jim scare you into thinking it somehow makes your phone dangerous. His post points out how little he knows about the subject.

JSnover
10-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Plenty of problems after 8.0 on my iPad. 8.0.2 didn't really help. Resetting network settings cured most of the problems but i'm still severely dissatisfied with the whole thing. This experience is very much like the way windows used to run and is exactly why I stopped buying their trash years ago. My Mac Mini and iPad have been flawless... Until now.

Cmm_3940
10-09-2014, 12:04 AM
I've never encountered anyone who has actually managed to 'break' their crApple device by jailbreaking, regardless of how many anecdotal accounts I read on the Internet. IF you somehow manage to screw it up to the point where it doesn't work - and you really have to work at it to do so - you just push a couple buttons to put it in DFU mode and restore it via iTunes. This also addresses the warranty issue; once you restore the original iOS via iTunes, no one can tell if the device has ever been jailbroken. If there is a genuine HARDWARE issue and it can't be restored, the iOS loaded on the device is irrelevant since Apple won't be able to tell what was on it when it broke either.

The only thing jailbreaking does is allow you to install software from sources other than the Apple app store. It does nothing to change/add/subtract from the original functionality. You choose how much or how little to do after the device is jailbroken. You may choose to do nothing more than load an app to stop the unwanted automatic iOS updates that Apple does without asking for our consent. Yes, there is a whole world of neat stuff out there that you can load that Apple has not approved, but no one is forcing that down your throat simply because you choose to jailbreak.

As far as downgrading from iOS 8 back to iOS 7 goes... All is not lost. Google is your friend. I was able to find out quite easily how to restore my iPad 2 back to iOS 7.