PDA

View Full Version : Best Single Stage Loader For Loading 12 Gauge Slug Loads ??

billt
10-07-2014, 07:21 AM
I have acquired a recent interest in combat shotguns, and have purchased several of them in the last couple of years. I have reloaded shotshells extensively for almost 40 years. Mostly Trap loads. All of my shotshell reloaders are of the progressive type, (MEC 650, and a 8567 Grabber), both of which have reloaded thousands of rounds over the years.

I'm going to be retiring after the first of the new year, and I'm going to start casting and loading my own slug loads in 12 gauge. Obviously a progressing type loader is less than ideal for this type of loading assignment. So I'm looking to get a single stage loader to use just for the task of reloading 12 gauge slug loads. I've already decided on the Lyman hollow base slug mold because it is the easiest to load with Trap components which I already have. (12 Gauge AA type wads, or their Claybuster equivalent), and AA or Remington STS hulls, of which I already have thousands of.

The loader I'm currently looking at is the MEC 600 Jr. I'm already familiar with MEC loaders, already having 2 of them. But I was wondering if there is something better I should be looking at? I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who is more experienced at this. Another question I have is do the slugs themselves have to be cast from pure lead? I have hundreds of pounds of 5% Antimony lead that I was able to acquire at a place I worked for years back. I don't see why it would not work as well as pure lead? All of this ammunition will be shot from combat / riot style short barreled shotguns which all have cylinder bores, no choke.

With slug loads running around a buck a pop, casting and loading my own, with components I already have seems like a no brainer. All I need is the mold, which I can pick up for around $70 bucks and change. I've seen several You Tube videos with these Lyman hollow base slugs loaded with AA Trap components, and most all of them have delivered outstanding accuracy. I should add Clays powder will be my powder of choice, only because I have so much of it. My current Trap load for years has been 1-1/8th ounces of #7-1/2 shot in a AA equivalent wad, under 17.5 gr. of Clays powder, in a AA or Remington STS hull. The Lyman slug casts a little heavier, (around 1-1/4 ounces), but mine may be slightly lighter with the 5% Antimony lead. I think 17.5 gr. of Clays would be a perfectly safe charge to start at, and work up from there. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

leadhead 500
10-07-2014, 08:04 AM
The Mec 600 slugger or the Mec 600 JR both are good to load slug loads on

leadhead 500
10-07-2014, 08:04 AM
sent you a message also

FullTang
10-07-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm very happy with my Lee Load All and the Lee slug molds. I started with the 7/8, then got the 1 oz and the .69 round ball. Lately, I've been roll-crimping more (BPI roll crimper), because I can adjust the height for custom loads. When I do that, my cheap little Lee Perfect Powder Measure works great for charging the hulls. I also load a lot of buck and ball loads with Lee .562 and .490 RBs, and my home-cast 00, 1, and 4 buck out of Sharpshooter molds. No problem using trap load data for the Lee slugs with any old powder, and BPI has recently published a lot more loads than previously available, mostly with Euro wads. I've cast and loaded thousands of these things, and always have a blast shooting them.

upnorthwis
10-07-2014, 04:00 PM
I use my 8567. With the powder charge I use for Blue Dot before I had the correct bushing, would charge powder with RCBS powder measure. Then insert hull back into wad station and continue on normally.

michiganmike
10-07-2014, 04:48 PM
I started with the Lee shotgun press. It eventually gave out. My next purchase was a 50 year old MEC Jr. on Ebay for $57. A little cleaning and a new deprimer rod and I was in business.

It is a great bargain and makes great slugs. The Lee did also - while it lasted. If I take care of the MEC, my grandson will be able to use it. It is over engineered and well made.

MichiganMike

longbow
10-07-2014, 07:26 PM
I have both the MEC 600 Jr. and Sizemaster. I like both but I think the Sizemaster is a hair better. It certainly resizes better and easier especially with high brass.

I have used a Lee Loadall Junior, Lee Loadall and plain old Lee loader as well. All worked fine with the nod going to the Lee Loadall from that group. However, I am very happy with my MEC Sizemaster and would recommend it.

Longbow

billt
10-07-2014, 08:18 PM
The only thing I'm not too sure about on the 600 Slugger is the roll crimp feature. I like the idea of a folded crimp for these loads. This is why I'm leaning more toward the Sizemaster or Jr.

Cerberus62
10-07-2014, 09:52 PM
The only thing I'm not too sure about on the 600 Slugger is the roll crimp feature. I like the idea of a folded crimp for these loads. This is why I'm leaning more toward the Sizemaster or Jr.
Based on what you have said about the components you have on hand and your future plans, you can load 2.75" fold crimp slugs on your MEC 650 or Grabber. I do it all the time, and if I intend to roll crimp I just pull them out of the machine after seating the wad and projectile.

Since you really seem to want a single stage for this then get the regular MEC 600 or the Sizemaster. You can fold crimp normally and get a roll crimp head for your drill later.

One word of caution, though: If you fold crimp slugs or balls be sure to mark those hulls in such a way that you do no confuse them with shot loads.

That's one big reason why I prefer roll crimps. The other reason is that while you can get a good folded crimp on a flat nose slug like the Lyman, round nose slugs and balls don't handle the folds as well without an overshot card.

rmcc
10-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Find a DL 155 or DL 266 Pacific. They would be good for what you want. Your load with Clays is spot on, should be around 1100 fps.

rmcc

quasi
10-11-2014, 03:33 AM
266 Pacific is a great single stage press if you can find one. I use a P&W 375, even better.

bdicki
10-11-2014, 07:57 AM
The sizemaster has a collet sizer vs. a ring sizer on the 600jr.

koehlerrk
10-15-2014, 05:47 AM
I've been loading with my Sizemaster for three years now.... can't imagine improving on that machine for this operation.

Shot, buck, or slugs, I can and do load it all on that machine. It's not as fast as a full-progressive press on shot loads, but for slugs or buck, it's just wonderful.

billt
10-15-2014, 06:33 AM
I've been loading with my Sizemaster for three years now.... can't imagine improving on that machine for this operation.

Shot, buck, or slugs, I can and do load it all on that machine. It's not as fast as a full-progressive press on shot loads, but for slugs or buck, it's just wonderful.

I have to agree. I've always liked MEC reloading tools, and have used them for over 40 years. I think a single stage model MEC would be perfect for specialty loads like slugs and heavy buckshot, where speed is not important.

Kskybroom
10-25-2014, 12:50 AM
I load my trap an skeet rounds on a Pacific DL-360
Mec Sizemaster loads everthing else Steel,Shot,Buck,Slugs,Ball,
The Sizemaster works very well for a all around loader.....

derbyduck
10-25-2014, 04:53 PM
I have to agree. I've always liked MEC reloading tools, and have used them for over 40 years. I think a single stage model MEC would be perfect for specialty loads like slugs and heavy buckshot, where speed is not important.
as you say you like the Mec and have Jr I suggest you give it a go and if it don't work try some thing else I only use 600Jr for 10g shells but would have thought it a good tool to load the wad then the slug and crimp, all the best and straight powder , DD.

CHeatermk3
10-25-2014, 11:04 PM
I've cast hundreds of the lyman "12 gauge pellet" of 50/50 WW/lead--they work great. Load as you would for your trap loads subbing the slug for the shot. They are designed to be used that way.

hickfu
11-01-2014, 01:41 AM
I've cast hundreds of the lyman "12 gauge pellet" of 50/50 WW/lead--they work great. Load as you would for your trap loads subbing the slug for the shot. They are designed to be used that way.

Thats what I use for my pistol rounds so I guess its time to make up some more 50/50 and cast some Lyman slugs!

W.R.Buchanan
11-11-2014, 08:31 PM
I like Quasi use a Pacific DL266. I like it because you start on the left side and end on the right side. If you are right handed you run the press with your left hand and move the hull with your right.

I also load my slugs, which are .662 round balls into my standard Trap Load using the same components as you do. MY round balls require a 1/4" thick Felt Wad under the ball and then the crimp closes perfectly. You might have to close the die down a smidgen to be perfect, however it works perfectly when going back to loading shot with no adjustments.

These loads recoil the same as your trap loads do the 662 ball is 422 gr or just short of an ounce. I just shot a bunch of these last Sunday at our local 3 gun shoot. My balls shoot like a rifle out to 50+ yards and knock down steel with authority.

I am building an A5 to use as my Automatic Riot Gun since you can fire one of those a lot faster than anyone can run a pump gun like a M500. The good feature of my round ball loads is that the A5 will run them right along with normal dove or trap loads and never know the difference. This means same recoil for all loads.

I was prompted into doing this because I mistakenly shot a Federal Magnum Slug that kicked my butt and sent me to the Chiro for 3 visits.

A MEC will do what you need just fine. But if you can find a DL266 (Ebay or Trapshooters.com) it is a better way to go IMHO. Hornady is stupid for stopping production of this tool and especially since it shares many parts with their DL366 Progressive. They generally go for around $100 used.. I have one in 12 ga and one in .410. I also have a Spolar a DL366 and a Dillon 900. here's some pics of the round ball loads and the press.

Randy

M-Tecs
11-12-2014, 12:18 AM
Randy

How do you like your Spolar?

W.R.Buchanan
11-12-2014, 02:35 PM
M-Tecs; it is a little much for me. It is a machine that once set up needs to be left ready to go, as clearing it and restarting it up is a very complex procedure.

You can load a bunch of ammo with one. They claim 900 per hour, 600 is more realistic for the average guy working alone. Two young guys working together could easily do 900. You have to feed the thing and you also have to remove the finished product and box it up. This is what cuts down your production.

They are well made and certainly worth the money, however unless you are shooting Trap or Skeet many times a week they are way too much machine for the guy who is only shooting one or two times a month like me.

Randy