PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for making a LEE Factory Crimp Die work on 2.125?

kenn
10-07-2014, 12:34 AM
I bought a Lee FCD for my 38-55 reloading. Unfortunately, it appears it was set to crimp 2.085 brass perfectly. I've got some slightly shorter once-fired that don't reach the crimp and I've tossed those in my recycle bin. I have about 150 starline in 2.125 and I'm not going to trim the down. It crimps about 3mm from the top edge of the brass (too far down) and ends up not removing the bell completely.

What I've done is adjust my seater very high with the plug almost all the way down so i have a little adjustement. I get them seated (I do 50 at a time). Once complete, I back the seater plug out almost all the way and then lower the seating/crimping die until it makes contact and then about 1/2-2/3 turn and I get a decently tight crimp that is right in the groove.

So, the question is this: What advice would one give to make the LEE FCD 38-55 work properly? It's not height adjustable. Adjusting the height just loosens/tightens the crimp but the depth is the same. In order to effect the height enough, there's no longer any crimp.

Nueces
10-07-2014, 12:53 AM
It slows you down some, but you can put a washer around the base of the longer cases as they sit in your shell holder. Make it thick enough to actuate the crimping collet where you want it. I bet you could cut out a piece so the shim could be slipped into place from the side rather than over the top of the case. The bottom of the collets are solid.

kenn
10-07-2014, 02:44 AM
It slows you down some, but you can put a washer around the base of the longer cases as they sit in your shell holder. Make it thick enough to actuate the crimping collet where you want it. I bet you could cut out a piece so the shim could be slipped into place from the side rather than over the top of the case. The bottom of the collets are solid.

Thanks, that's probably a good idea. I'll stop at HD and pick up some various washers and see if I can fashion something up. Definitely will slow me up but not as much as constantly having to reset my seating die.

dlbarr
10-07-2014, 02:54 AM
I have been thinking of buying one of those crimp dies. I cannot seem to get my RCBS dies to put a crimp in my 45/70 brass. But then, I'm a fairly new reloader and likely have lots to learn...but it is a mystery cause I think I'm doing what the directions say to do....??

Safeshot
10-07-2014, 07:08 PM
dibar, The problem you describe is common with the Hornady brass as it is "shorter" than other manufacturers 45/70 brass. That might e your problem.

kenn
10-08-2014, 07:30 AM
I have the Lee factory crimp die for my 45-70 and it works perfectly. My brass is star line, though and it is perfectly sized. If you're using the hornady leverevolution brass, it short and won't work.

lbaize3
10-08-2014, 01:41 PM
kenn, have you thought about putting the round to be crimped into the top of your Lee FCD (cartridge upside down) and then pulling the lever and letting the empty shell holder activate the crimper? Give it a try... nothing ventured, nothing gained...

texassako
10-08-2014, 10:25 PM

Do this and then break out the hot glue gun. It will hold the washer on the bottom of the die long enough so you are not constantly taking it on and off. Peel off when done and store with the die for next time.

kenn
10-09-2014, 04:15 AM
kenn, have you thought about putting the round to be crimped into the top of your Lee FCD (cartridge upside down) and then pulling the lever and letting the empty shell holder activate the crimper? Give it a try... nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Do this and then break out the hot glue gun. It will hold the washer on the bottom of the die long enough so you are not constantly taking it on and off. Peel off when done and store with the die for next time.

both GREAT ideas... will be exploring both and figuring out which one works better. I'll have to figure out a way to space the top so it is properly engaged, but a piece of PVC carefully cut might work.

dlbarr
10-09-2014, 09:08 PM
dibar, The problem you describe is common with the Hornady brass as it is "shorter" than other manufacturers 45/70 brass. That might e your problem.

I have the Lee factory crimp die for my 45-70 and it works perfectly. My brass is star line, though and it is perfectly sized. If you're using the hornady leverevolution brass, it short and won't work.

I am unclear as to why the length of the Hornady brass would be problematic....seems you would simply adjust your crimp die to compensate for that. What am I missing? Remember...I'm new at this...

texassako
10-09-2014, 10:17 PM
I am unclear as to why the length of the Hornady brass would be problematic....seems you would simply adjust your crimp die to compensate for that. What am I missing? Remember...I'm new at this...

Rifle FCD is activated by the shellholder and is a fixed length. No adjustments for length.

williamwaco
10-09-2014, 10:27 PM
I have not tried it but I have been told that the .375 Winchester FCD works perfectly with the shorter cases.

I crimp my .30-30 based cases by running them back into the resizing die just far enough to remove the flare.

MT Chambers
10-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Don't drink the Lee FCD Koolaid, a regular seating die will crimp any length case as much or as little as you want, and has been doing it since day one, just adjust it properly!