PDA

View Full Version : Which one should I keep?

JOptionPane
10-06-2014, 10:26 PM
I want to dedicate one press to 338 Lapua. These are the two that I have to choose from. Going to sell the other one i think.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/06/6d6381f3da609cef40ac56ba373a3797.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/06/71c4541892b84c0ab20bd1b103cd2ac8.jpg

nagantguy
10-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Top one would be my choice; just based on the color.

EDG
10-07-2014, 01:26 AM
Neither press has a lot of mechanical advantage but if you keep one keep the CH.

Ickisrulz
10-07-2014, 08:38 AM
You actually have them both. Have you tried them out? Which one do you like best?

JOptionPane
10-07-2014, 09:31 AM
I think I like the ch it has more clearance but the hurters fells like it has more leverage if I ever want to swage but for now it will be used for a 338 lapua I don't think you could ever wear either one of them out. Was just looking for some input from some of you guys who may have used either one of them pro/cons of each.

country gent
10-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Which one feels "right" to you? Extra leverage is a good thing Another is one is striaght up and down the other angled back so thats going to play in the equation also. Mount them on a 2x 12 and c clamp them down and give each a try to see what works best. One other thing to consider is both have large openings but the CH is a c frame meaning the dies are only supprted from the back on one side allowing for possible springing. The herters is a O type frame meaning dies are supported on 2 sides making for less possible spring under heavy loads.

Bullshop Junior
10-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Keep em both!!

But the CH would be my choice.

prsman23
10-07-2014, 10:47 AM
The trash can mount doesn't look as sturdy. I'll take that one off your hands. :)

Mike Kerr
10-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Country Gent,

Are you sure this is what you meant to say?

" but the CH is a c frame meaning the dies are only supprted from the back on one side allowing for possible springing. The herters is a O type frame meaning dies are supported on 2 sides making for less possible spring under heavy loads."

The CH is an "H" Frame. THe Herter is a "C" Frame

OR

I'm not awake yet.

mdi
10-07-2014, 11:18 AM
C-H for most reloading jobs and the Herter's for a dedicated priming press. Besides my Lee turret, I have an O frame C-H of unknown vintage and a small aluminum C frame C-H (mounted on a 1x4piece that gets bolted to my bench). I can use a ram prime with the small press all day, no sweat, and my other reloading tasks can be done on my Lee turret or the HD C-H.

BTW, I've been kinda looking for one of those C-H "H" presses I could afford, ain't seen one yet. I have never heard of the C-H press "springing" as the design is quite strong (the top section that holds the die is supported by two HD bolts/shafts, and the force is directed straight up to the "crossbar". The crossbar ain't gonna flex nor the "traveler bar".).

country gent
10-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Sorry, your awake and I eversed them in my mind when I was typing it in. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Ch is the O frame and herters is the C frame. Again sorry

Wayne Smith
10-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Country Gent - there is a difference between an "O" frame, not seen in this thread, and and "H" frame which the CH is. Both are orphans in that the company that made them is no more, but I think Dave at CH4D will still support (parts) for the CH "H" frame, as long as he has them.

hd09
10-07-2014, 02:45 PM
I have to go with keep them both. I have let things go then wished I hadn't later on.

gwpercle
10-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Keep them both. Years from now you gonna regret selling either one! Believe me , I know .
Gary

troyboy
10-07-2014, 06:56 PM
If you want just one press sell both of those and buy something with more leverage. Both of those will take a whole lot more effort resizing brass than something with a compound linkage. Nostalgia aside the Rock Chucker, Classic Cast or any of the other modern cast single stage compound leverage press are head and shoulders above the Ch and Herters for resizing brass.

Mike Kerr
10-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Troyboy

I agree

If you want just one press sell both of those and buy something with more leverage. Both of those will take a whole lot more effort resizing brass than something with a compound linkage. Nostalgia aside the Rock Chucker, Classic Cast or any of the other modern cast single stage compound leverage press are head and shoulders above the Ch and Herters for resizing brass.

However, a great deal of reloading chit chat involves the very Nostalgia you reference - Besides the H frame looks "cool" and most people don't know the Herter can "bite" you if you aren't careful.

gwpercle
10-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Went over to the CH4D site and those H presses go for $300.00 now days.
You cant buy one like the Herter's C, heavy duty. I would use the CH for pistol and the big Herter's for anything else that required a heavy duty press. They are not going to make them like that again.
I never did order a Herter's press, I was given a Pacific Super Deluxe about 1973 and realy never had a need for anything heavier. But I would like to have had a Herter's just for the nostalgia thing.
Gary

JOptionPane
10-07-2014, 09:39 PM
If nothing else the Herters could be used for a boat anchor it's that heavy and I'm joking I'm not going to use it for boat anchor but I sell might sell it. Let me know if you have any interest in the Herters

Fishman
10-07-2014, 10:05 PM
I have a CH press like that and it is a fine machine. However I would have to agree with Troyboy, as it's mechanical leverage is limited. It does have a large opening so if you aren't full length sizing the lapua it could be a decent choice.

I use mine for depriming, putting a factory crimp on selected loads, test seating, things that don't strain it. It's actually my wife's press and she likes using it.

Pressman
10-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Keep them both and get a Rock Chucker. You will need the extra mechanical advantage to size those big cases. Both the C-H and the Herter's are stressed to size a 30-06 with out putting a pipe on the handle.
and the C-H is aluminum, not nearly as strong as the Herter's.
Ken

Dan Cash
10-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Both presses have their uses and the sale of one will not enrich you to the point of satisfaction. Keep them both and put them to work. If you sell one, you will be forever complaining in your heart.

troyboy
10-09-2014, 10:16 AM
I bought into this poetic nostalgia and spent a whole pile of time and money buying, refurbing, using then selling these vintage presses. One thing learned is they are just tools and as such, use the best one for the intended purpose. A large opening with plenty of leverage and structural strength are the requirments in this instance.

TNsailorman
10-09-2014, 09:13 PM
You really should keep the Herter's press and sell me the CH press-real cheap. Of course that is not the advice I would give myself. Me, I would keep both. james

JOptionPane
10-10-2014, 08:38 PM
I've decided to sell the Herters press it comes with 17 different shell holdershttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/10/cf14aa37471e8fe800bce76d03071a0a.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/10/116424fcf4f11c378008a283cad16c64.jpg

What do you think this press is worth I see the shell holders are running about 10 bucks a piece on eBay in the presses themselves are all over the place I'm thinking a $150 is fair let me know if I'm crazy or to low I got a bunch of dies also all of them are herters except for one set of Lyman. Was thinking about selling them separately but if someone was interested in a package deal I could probably figure something out.