PDA

View Full Version : venison on the hoof now heading to deep freeze

nagantguy
10-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Got a nice little MI buck last night, my daughter was with me but the deer came out on her side so she had no shot, I sent an arrow through the pump House and boiler at 29 yards. Would have lobed for her to get the shot but we hunt for meat and we are out, this ain't reality t.v. anyhow she did a great job of a 60 or so yard track and didn't bulk one bit at field dressing. And she asked " daddy how long will this feed us?" Got the job done at around 9:30 and she was up on time for school and can't wait for Saturday to get her turn

smoked turkey
10-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Very awesome story. Sounds like you raised her right. Congratulations to you both for a successful hunt. Bet she gets hers on Saturday. We are mainly meat hunters here too and the freezer is getting low.

captaint
10-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Great job all around. I know you're aching to get her a shot.... Best of luck.

DougGuy
10-07-2014, 09:23 AM
THAT'S what I'M talking about!! Good one! If I had a daughter, I would ruin her LOL. I would have her outshooting all the guys, outcussing the sailors, hunting, baiting her own hook, and still being a lady..

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-07-2014, 10:53 AM
. And she asked " daddy how long will this feed us?"

you sir, are raising your kid right!

nagantguy
10-07-2014, 01:35 PM
THAT'S what I'M talking about!! Good one! If I had a daughter, I would ruin her LOL. I would have her outshooting all the guys, outcussing the sailors, hunting, baiting her own hook, and still being a lady..

She does all that except cuss, says she's smart enough to get her point across with out foul language. She can all so fight, work hard and garden. She will never have to be dependent on anyone nor be on the state doles!!

knifemaker
10-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Make sure that young lady gets her choice of the backstrap at dinner time. She earned it.

DougGuy
10-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Nagantguy how do you cook yours?

I discovered a cool thing to do, one of the ways I do it in a covered baking dish in the oven, I use Lipton dry soup mixes, whatever flavor, beefy onion, beefy mushroom, onion mushroom, etc, and I add on to it a little. I add a shake or two of Steakhouse seasoning from the grinder thing, and I add about 2tbsp Alessi brand raspberry infused balsamic vinegar, some water, and some Wonder flour, and some Better Than Bouillon beef flavor if it needs it. I cook it at 335-340° until it falls apart, and it has made it's own gravy. You wouldn't think the raspberry vinegar does anything but man WHEW! Does it go GOOD with hearty brown gravy! You can have the straps, pass me the gravy and some of them biscuits!

It's pretty subtle, doesn't take over the dish but adds a real nice touch that you wouldn't figure would work with red meat but it works really well! Enjoy!

P.S. You could also add carrots, celery, taters, etc, in the last hour of baking..

nagantguy
10-07-2014, 05:53 PM
I do something similar. But for the first back straps of the year they go on the grill with some sweet onion and some pineapple and some bacon stuck to em with bamboo squears. Real tasty, got a grill I made with an adjustable rack so you can keep it as high or low to the flame as ya want.