PDA

View Full Version : Getting lead to hot.

relic
10-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Hello the forum, have not posted much at all, usually I just search around and find what I find what I need. What a great forum. Any way my question is I have been using my propane weed burner to melt down larger pieces of lead so they fit in my pot or I melt it right into ingots. I don't turn the burner wide open, I just use enough to get the lead melting and flowing. Does the direct hot flame on the lead cause any problems? Also you guys got me into another caliber that I neglected for many years, my old 30-30. I had to get all set up to cast for it and what a fun gun to shoot now. 150 RCBS flat nose GC and 7 grains red dot a little Dacron filler and 2 inch groups every time at 50 yards with a Marble tang sight, my 72 year old eyes need a lot of help. Oh, MOd 94 wincester carbine 20 inch barrel. I also cast 45-70, 25-20, 44-40, and my 50 cal muzzle loader. Oh one more question, I also use a small hand held propane torch to help pre-heat my molds, been doing it for many years, is this okay? All molds seem to cast well after many years. Really like to shoot cast bullets, thnks for all the great info!!

runfiverun
10-06-2014, 03:38 PM
it doesn't hurt it, it might add some extra oxidization to the alloy in the pot but you can flux that back in.

I'm not a fan of using a torch on my molds [not saying I ain't done it] but there are easier way's to heat a mold evenly.

376Steyr
10-06-2014, 07:17 PM
I'd be cautious about using a weedburner to smelt wheelweights, as you might get the evil zinc ones to melt instead of giving them a chance to float to the top intact.

leeggen
10-06-2014, 08:25 PM
I also use a weedburner. You start it out at about a med. flame then as you see it melting turn it way down. I use a table that is just for lead, I cut a helium tank top and bottom out then cut a round hole about 3/4 in larger than the helium tank and screwed the tank into the table so I have a sheild so to speak to hold the heat inand aroud the lead pot. I do get some soot on the bottom of the pot. I am going to drill the hole out in the burner and install a regular orfice from an old gas range. That will allow me a lot lower flame. I have several sizes so I do have a selection as to how big of flame it will produce.
CD

BruceB
10-06-2014, 11:30 PM
The weedburner works fine; I've been "pushing" its use here for years.

All one has to do to eliminate the dreaded zinc is BE OBSERVANT, and take action at the right time.

Just as the LEAD wheelweights liquify in the pot, give the whole mess a stir to ensure that our precious lead is all melted.

Then, immediately scoop out everything that's floating.

This will remove the steel clips, iron and aluminum weights..... and ZINC, which melts at a temp a good bit higher than lead. If we do this in a timely manner, the zinc doesn't have enough time to reach its melting point.

Problem eliminated.

10x
10-11-2014, 12:11 PM
118845Separates lead from scrap