PDA

View Full Version : Butter flavored Crisco a dumb choice

dualsport
10-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Yep, I did that. This was years ago, must have been a brain fade. I aint been right since '69. I made up a big batch of lube using the flavored Crisco as the base. Now I must confess that I have a few muzzle loaders that I store and have not shot in some time. You guessed it, a white residue has 'grown' in those barrels slathered with yummy smelling lube. I got it all out yesterday, flushed and brushed all of my smokepoles with scalding hot water and relubed with a mix of plain Crisco and TC Bore Butter 1000. Everything looks good now, nice and shiney.

pietro
10-06-2014, 12:01 PM

You could have packaged the white residue & made some $$$$ with it............. ;)

dondiego
10-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Sheath by Birchwood Casey works well for rust prevention too.

Yodogsandman
10-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Sheath by Birchwood Casey works well for rust prevention too.

Ditto

nagantguy
10-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Yep, I did that. This was years ago, must have been a brain fade. I aint been right since '69. I made up a big batch of lube using the flavored Crisco as the base. Now I must confess that I have a few muzzle loaders that I store and have not shot in some time. You guessed it, a white residue has 'grown' in those barrels slathered with yummy smelling lube. I got it all out yesterday, flushed and brushed all of my smokepoles with scalding hot water and relubed with a mix of plain Crisco and TC Bore Butter 1000. Everything looks good now, nice and shiney.

Them is fightin words; butter flavor Crisco is never a bad thing, wait you lubed boolits with it; no more fueding your my new hero!

DIRT Farmer
10-07-2014, 12:56 AM
Many years ago my oldest son demanded butter flavored crisco for lubing his shotgun wads in his 12 ga New Englander. There was always the hint of popcorn when he was shooting.