PDA

View Full Version : Model 15 grips

Ilwil
10-06-2014, 03:03 AM
I just picked up a very nice 15-3, with he customary skinny factory walnut grips. Looking at Ebay, I see a lot of very nice looking grips imported from Thailand, interspersed with the S&Ws, the Hogues, etc. I wonder if any of you folks have bought these Thai grips, and are happy with them; the finish, fit, durability,what have you. The prices are attractive too.

Tatume
10-06-2014, 12:59 PM
They do not tempt me. I recommend you spend a bit and get Herretts. http://www.herrettstocks.com/

Char-Gar
10-06-2014, 01:38 PM
They clone everything is Asia, including some traditional handgun grip designs. If you like em, buy em. Be the first on your block to have some, then you can inform us. Take a chance....

bedbugbilly
10-06-2014, 06:48 PM
I have a Combat Masterpiece (pre 15) and I currently have a set of old Jay Scott faux stags on it - still not real happy with the feel of them and will probably switch back to the original Magnas at some point. Either that or try a set of Pachmeyer grips. Can't really help you much as far as the Thai grips other than my very recent experience with asking a question about a set of J frame grips.

I carry a Model 36 snub (1980s era) and I hate the factory grips on it. Any long range time and the checkering really chews on my hands. I spotted a set of smooth faux pearls that I thought might be nice and the seller (Thai) listed them for a J frame Bodyguard. In my mind, a J frame RB is a J frame RB but I have no experience with the Bodyguard as far as if it is the same or not. I sent an inquiry to the seller to ask if they would fit a Model 36 J frame round butt and the reply just left me scratching my head. It was obvious that they had copied a set of grips from a Bodyguard revolver but had absolutely no knowledge of what a Model 36 RB J frame was. I chose to keep looking.

I agree with you that some of those Thai grips look nice - I also wonder if once they got here if they would fit? Perhaps someone with experience with them will respond as it would be interesting to know. Right now, my Model 36 3" is wearing a set of Pachmeyer combat grips and they feel great in buy hand. For the price of them, I'm thinking of ordering a set of Pachmeyers for my Combat Masterpiece and give them a try. I have three K frames so I could always switch them out.

You might look at Eagle grips as well as they have some nice lookiing wood grips. Never have had a set of theirs for any of my K frames but I do have a set of their grips on my SA Ruger New Vaquero and I like them a lot - great fit and finish.

redgum
10-06-2014, 09:44 PM
I have purchased Grips from Thailand via Ebay on 3 occassions.
There will not be a fourth!
Like all things, you get what you pay for.....

rintinglen
10-07-2014, 11:30 PM
I have a set on my 38 Special S&W M&P, as well as on my 28 and a faux ivory set on my m-21. They are just fine. If you have a standard K,L or N frame they should fit well. I did have to lightly sand the edges on the grips at the top of the recoil shoulder to eliminate a sharp edge on the Ones for the Model 28. But other than that, I have no problems with them and would gladly buy another set.

Scharfschuetze
10-08-2014, 02:47 AM
I've never tried a revolver grip from Thailand, but back in the day while stationed there, I picked up a nice set of teak wood grips for my 1911. I still have 'em. At the time, I could also have bought real ivory grips, but I passed on that. Probably should have thought that one out better.

As they'd say in Thiland, Mei phen rai (Oh well or doesn't matter).

Petrol & Powder
10-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Grips are obviously subject to a lot of personal opinion but they're not terribly high tech. If the price is right, you're not taking a huge risk. In the FWIW category, the square butt K-frame S&W, like say a model 15; probably has one of the largest selection of grips available on the market. This is a good thing.
If you like them and they don't cost too much, why not take a chance?

MtGun44
10-09-2014, 01:21 AM
Hogue rubber grips fit my hand perfectly, and are used on all my
S&Ws that I shoot a lot. Not particularly pretty, but extremely
comfortable and effective grips.

Bill