PDA

View Full Version : New to me Ruger Blackhawk

OKSaddletramp
10-05-2014, 05:17 PM
At this weekend's gunshow I scored a beautiful RBH in .357 Magnum. While I have shot .357 in my Maximum Contender and others' pistols, this is the first .357 pistol I've owned. I had a couple of questions for the Blackhawk aficianados.

One of my friends ages ago had a BH Convertable with a 9mm cylinder. It shot both cylinders very well and it was a lot of fun to shoot three calibers with one gun. Is there a difference in the two guns? Could I purchase a 9mm cylinder and have it function in my New Model Blakhawk without modification?

I'm thinking of dedicating a boolit just for Magnum loading, and after reading for many years that law enforcement preferred 125 bullets for .357 Magnum, I am considering the Lee 125 RF for purely magnum loads. Anyone have experience with this boolit? I already have the Lee 140g SWC and 158g SWC and I like them in .38 Special, just wanting something distinctive in Magnum loads. (I will be loading these with Alliant 2400 for the most part.)

nagantguy
10-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Mine really likes the 158 Lee tl. And any .357 black hawk can be sent in to Ruger to have another 9mm cylinder fitted. And its very reasonable pricing on the work.

BruceB
10-05-2014, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=OKSaddletramp;2957223].

after reading for many years that law enforcement preferred 125 bullets for .357 Magnum, QUOTE

The favored "law-enforcement" 125-grain .357 loads were jacketed hollowpoints. They were hard on some guns.

For cast-bullet .357 loads, I think you will be happier with the "normal" semi-wadcutters of around 150-160 grains. There is a REASON that so many bullet designs fall into this weight class.... they simply work superbly. Whatever bullet you select for .357 will also work for .38-level loads, either in .38 or .357 brass. I'd suggest the .38 brass for non-.357 loads, just for the ease of identification.

Finding a 9mm cylinder will be a problem, I suspect, and it would likely need some fitting if one is found. The real reason for having such a cylinder available from the factory was that huge amounts of surplus 9mm ammo were on the market. Today, there's not so much demand for 9mm cylinders. Anything the 9mm will do can surely be done by the .38 in the Blackhawk, let alone the .357.

You have a dandy revolver, and I'd be pleased to find one like it even after owning other .357s for almost fifty years. (I have a new-to-me Blackhawk in .30 Carbine due for delivery at mid-month.... ammo is already loaded and waiting!)

P.S. : I wasn't aware that Ruger will supply the 9mm cylinders. Thanks for the info.

opos
10-05-2014, 08:14 PM
I know you asked about lead projectiles but will mention I have shot Speer #4013 semi jacketed hollow point bullets for years in a 357 Magnum using 2400...you can find the formula and the details in the literature...don't try to shoot the 4013 in a standard 38 special...they advise against it but it's a dandy in the 357 mag...it's not a gentle load but within specs for my GP100. I shoot lots of Missouri "cowboy" RNFP 125 grain lead projectiles with a 12 hardness...shoot them both in 38 special and in 357 mag...again powders and specs are in the literature.

As to the cylinder situation..you didn't say if the BH is a new or old model..it may have changed but Ruger used to check the serial and see if a gun were a convertible when manufactured and if not they would not furnish and fit the "other cylinder"....I've heard that has changed but not sure...I have a factory 357/9mm as well as a 45Colt/45acp and I enjoy them both...Again check with Ruger about fitting a non original cylinder...I see them advertised on Ebay now and then and maybe a local smith can fit them..I have no experience there.

gwpercle
10-05-2014, 09:13 PM
The Ruger Blackhawk was my "first", can recommend the Lyman #358156 155 gr. SWC GC. Actually any 158 gr. boolit with a gas check, like the Lee C358-158-SWC would do. I say use a gas check design because it is so much easier to work with in 357 magnum loads. Mine shot the Lyman into clover leaf groups that a quarter would almost cover.
For the 38 special loads any plain based boolit will do and I've shot them from 115 gr. to 170 gr.
That's the beauty of 38/357 mag. no shortage of different boolits to try out. And with the 9mm cylinder even more boolits to play with.
That old three screw sure holds a lot of fond memories. Enjoy!
Gary
Gary

contender1
10-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Ok, here is a bit more info.
First you need to determine if it's an Old Model, or a New Model. Look on the frame, and it will say; "New Model Blackhawk" if it's a NM. If so, it'll be a bit easier to find a 9mm cylinder. The limited numbers of the OM convertibles cause the prices of the OM 9mm cylinders to be in the $100 range.
You will also need to measure the OAL of your 357 cylinder. Then when you find a spare to purchase, you want it to be the same length or a few thousands longer.
I own 6 of the OM convertibles & they are nice.
I also own a few extra cylinders in 9mm, and if the OAL is good, they drop right in & are timed right. BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if you get a spare cylinder, make sure you get a good gunsmith to check the timing to be sure BEFORE you fire it. In general, I've seen VERY FEW Ruger cylinders that did not time up in different guns as long as the OAL was right.
Having the convertible gun does allow 38 spl, 9mm & 357 Mag's all in one gun. A nice option.

As for your ammo, I'll leave that info up to a few others.

OKSaddletramp
10-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Just a note, My BH is a "New Model" 2 screw. The cylinder measures 1.64" not including pawl or center. (1.949" overall)

I'm not looking for a 9mm cylinder, as I agree with other, .38 Special is better all around. But if a cylinder came my way, I wanted to know if it could work. After all, I do load 9mm anyway, so why not?