PDA

View Full Version : Well been lurking long enough....Advise needed.

Bullet8542
10-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Well Hello

I have been lurking for a long time here and have gotten a lot of great and helpful information, So now I am looking for advise again.

I have the opportunity to pick up a real nice Marlin 336 in .35 Remington....So begs the question should I jump on it's only $400.00 much better pricing than others I have seen so price is no issue.

Issue is.....Ammo, Have been looking and scrounging the internet and cannot find Brass or factory ammo that can be reloaded, I know Hornady has their excellent Lever evolution round (I have great luck with the .45-70 load simply everything I wanted in a factory round) but all of the sites list it as "Seasonal run not back order able" even Ammo seek nothing I can find all sorts of "obscure cartridges" but no .35 Remington. I have seen some listed on Gun Broker and I am not into getting raped.

So I guess after all of this babble, Question is .35 Remington (Yes or No) and Is there some place I have not looked for factory ammo or brass??

Thanks for any advise you may have and well thanks for reading this book I have written.......

shoot-n-lead
10-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Marlin lever in .35 Rem is a good combo, worth owning and I think the price is ok, also. I am not sure as to finding new brass, but if you place a "Want to Buy" ad in the classified's of this and other forums, I am sure you can turn up some once-fired.

Bullshop Junior
10-05-2014, 02:15 PM
35 Remington is getting harder and harder to find. It is a very good round though. As of right now, I think only Hornady and Remington are producing cases for it, although PPU might be as well.

drinks
10-05-2014, 03:27 PM
The case can be made from .303 Brit. or .30-40, trim to length, remove rim, cut an extractor groove, anneal and size.
Then fireform and you are ready to go.

square butte
10-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Grumpa is making cases from .308 brass. You can find him and the brass on this site

Yodogsandman
10-05-2014, 03:43 PM
try gunbroker.com

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchForm.aspx

scb
10-05-2014, 04:08 PM
There are enough 35 Remington firearms around and being used they won't stop making brass or ammo for quite some time - it's extremely popular here in the north east. One just has to keep your eyes open and get it when the getting is good. I have one 35 Rem.(xp100). With that, my 30/40 Krags and 218 Bee I'm in the same boat - always on the look out. Just have to be patient.

starmac
10-05-2014, 06:02 PM
#5 rem brass comes up right here on the swap and selling forum, and Grumpa has it everyday as far as I know.

GhostHawk
10-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Its your 400$ but it seems mighty tempting to me.

Yes you'll put in some time rounding up brass, but isn't that part of the fun?

helice
10-06-2014, 11:12 AM
We can't always be out in the field or at the range. So we cast and reload and we scrounge for brass.
If there ever was a near perfect lever gun caliber the 35 Remington would be very close to it. They seem to be tough to find on the used gun racks. I assume that is because those who hunt with the 35 Remington know how effective it is and they don't let go of their rifles. 400 seems like a good price if the internals are in order.

Sneakybuffalo
10-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Well you picked a good time, since the seasonal run is hitting shelves right now. I know there's 35 Rem. at my local gun and ammo suppliers right now.

Also $400 is a really good price IF it's in good condition and doesn't have any issues. Check out Marlin Owners forum. They'll tell you all you need to know and if they don't convince you to buy it, someone on there probably will try to. 35s are hard to find and in high demand.

starmac
10-06-2014, 05:01 PM
You didn't mention what the purpose of the rifle would be, and thet would affect my choice considerably. If target or plinking I would rather just have the plain old 30/30, if hunting will be in the picture, that 35 would be awful tempting.

GRUMPA
10-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Grumpa is making cases from .308 brass. You can find him and the brass on this site

#5 rem brass comes up right here on the swap and selling forum, and Grumpa has it everyday as far as I know.

I have the brass on hand most of the time. And by that I mean if someone orders 1K pieces (which happens) it cleans me out and I have to make more, big whoops. Once I got the operations done in the proper order it takes me a couple of days to build it back up. They do go fast though, almost to the point I'll have to get a dedicated machine for the conversion.

Bullet8542
10-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks Guys for all the help, The .35 will be for hunting, I have a 336 in .30-.30 love that rifle just looking to bridge the gap in my lever gun arsenal I have .30-.30 and .45-70 so a .35 is the next step.
I have checked the rifle out she is in very good shape talking to the dealers around here the stories are the older guys liked the .35 but all the younger guys want .308 to .300 Win for Deer...So I will grab a great deal when I can.

I am going to PM you on the brass. Thanks again!!

Bullet8542
10-07-2014, 09:51 PM
And I guess I just will add this cause it jut doesn't make one ounce of sense to me, I have looked a few reloading sights looking for .35 Rem. and I find .35 Whelan......Have never even seen a rifle for that round, .45 cylindrical......Seriously! .416 Tyler....Once again Really...I mean Hornady who load .35 Rem only have .35 Whelan brass for sale.....WTH .404 rimless.........Geez I have never even seen rifles for these rounds I have been around firearms a long time I have hunted in Africa four times I fired all the Nitro's & H&H rounds no biggie....But it just boggles my mind.

Thanks for reading the rant!!!

Sneakybuffalo
10-07-2014, 09:58 PM
And I guess I just will add this cause it jut doesn't make one ounce of sense to me, I have looked a few reloading sights looking for .35 Rem. and I find .35 Whelan......Have never even seen a rifle for that round, .45 cylindrical......Seriously! .416 Tyler....Once again Really...I mean Hornady who load .35 Rem only have .35 Whelan brass for sale.....WTH .404 rimless.........Geez I have never even seen rifles for these rounds I have been around firearms a long time I have hunted in Africa four times I fired all the Nitro's & H&H rounds no biggie....But it just boggles my mind.

Thanks for reading the rant!!!

That's probably why they have the brass. No one buys it so it just sits in stock.

Bullet8542
10-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Well I went to pick up the Marlin .35 Today....And Uggggg The throat was just man....Looked like someone took a chisel to it so I passed it up, However the owner informed me that he has another Marlin at his other shop in .35 Remington, So off I go again this one is $49.00 more so still in the range I wanted to spend. Of course if this one turns out to be a lemon I am wondering if I should get the next rifle on the wish list a....7mm Magnum. The one "Magnum" I don't own.

So the drama continue's......

OverMax
10-09-2014, 11:10 PM
The rifle is worth what you may pay for it. Since you can't shoot it. No doubt it will gain in value for some collector. My advice hang on to that 30-30 take that 400.00 and buy a 1/4 of beef for the freezer or a 7-Mag.
My philosophy. If you can't shoot it you can't truly enjoy it. So why own one.

Sneakybuffalo
10-10-2014, 01:43 AM
The rifle is worth what you may pay for it. Since you can't shoot it. No doubt it will gain in value for some collector. My advice hang on to that 30-30 take that 400.00 and buy a 1/4 of beef for the freezer or a 7-Mag.
My philosophy. If you can't shoot it you can't truly enjoy it. So why own one.

Depends how much you expect to be able to shoot. I mean, if the OP picks up a couple boxes of ammo right now or finds a run of brass since it's in season, he should be set all year until the next run comes around. Unless he's planning to put thousands of rounds through that gun...

Especially if he's able to get his hands on some Lever powder.

Or he can just buy from Grumpa there. $0.50 a pop isn't bad.

Lead Fred
10-10-2014, 04:27 AM
I will buy any, and every JM Marlin I can find, until there are no more

At $400 or less :Fire:

Bullet8542
10-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Well I took the trip to the shop to check out the Marlin and she followed me home, She is a JM Marlin waffle top, great wood, finish is great one issue the white spacer and butt cap are shot but for $400 I am not complaining.

Picked up some Hogdon H4198 and some Hornady 200gr. Interlocks going to the PO tomorrow and going to send off the MO for some or Grumpa's brass and then I can start working up some loads.

Salmoneye
10-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Pretty sure there is a 'How To' on MarlinOwners to make your own spacers...

IIRC they can be easily made from a number of thin white plastics from 5-gallon pails, to bathroom garbage cans...

waco
10-11-2014, 09:30 PM
I have the brass on hand most of the time. And by that I mean if someone orders 1K pieces (which happens) it cleans me out and I have to make more, big whoops. Once I got the operations done in the proper order it takes me a couple of days to build it back up. They do go fast though, almost to the point I'll have to get a dedicated machine for the conversion.

Just to put your mind at ease. I've bought brass from Grumpa before. .221 Fireball formed from .223 cases. Absolute top quality finished product at a VERY reasonable price. Fast friendly service, whats not to like?!
Waco

johnny_xring
10-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Missed this thread till now but---I would have bought that (probably won't sell to CA FFLs though). Hey, I got some new .303 Savage (from Privi Partizan, only other source was Bertram's) for my 1925 Savage 99 plus what I got with it. Try to find that brass quickly. That is the great thing about the U.S. You can find it or make it and there are people to help you out. Where there is a will there is a way. You have an awesome .35 caliber deer + killing machine so get it ready for this season. Good luck.

JX

starmac
10-21-2014, 02:30 AM
He he You wait till now to mention it was a waffle top. Good score in my opinion. For some reason I don't have a 35 yet, but a 400 dollar waffle top in good condition would change that. lol I bought the dies sometime back, just in case. lol

44man
10-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Guys around here don't make sense to me, .308's, 30-06's, 270's, 7 and 30 mags. It is tough to get shots over 100 yards with most deer shot well under 50. The 30-30 and .35 would be top of the heap.
I had a Marlin .35 long ago and it shot my jacketed loads into 1/2" at 100 yds but the Lyman mold I had would not shoot at all. I had to sell the gun and from what I learned all these years, the boolit was just too small.
How I wish I still had it. I would not pass one up either. Good find.
I only had one shot at a deer back then. A buck tore past me and I pulled a perfect lead, when the gun went off the bucks chest was behind the only tree in 50 yards! Made a perfect shot on the tree.