PDA

View Full Version : My son's first buck

idahoron
10-05-2014, 05:26 AM
My son Jacob has put in for Moose tags for years. Since he puts in for moose he can't put in for a buck tag on the first draw. Well he has always drawn youth doe tags on the second draw. He has set out a couple years because of school and work, but we put in together on a hunt but didn't draw so we got our second choice. This was our first time we have both had tags and hunted together.
This hunt was new to me, and I have never been in the area at all so I decided that we would learn some new area. After finding out he would not get his days off he was told he could have we had two days to hunt. Well after a couple days scouting a few weeks ago I told him not to be picky, and I decided I would not shoot unless he was done. Jacob got this little spike buck on the first day and I shot a doe soon after to make sure we had plenty of time to get him back. This was my first doe in years, but it was Jacobs first buck. I was super happy for him he wanted this so bad.
I was relieved that he got a buck. I didn't care how big it was, I just knew how much it meant to him.
I learned a lot about the area in the two days scouting and two days hunting. I think I will try to get this tag next year and this time I hope we get more time but I will be very picky next time. I did end up seeing some good bucks after we were tagged out. The load was a paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullet with an over powder wad and 80 gr of pyrodex P. Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/2014deer1_zpsbb171c5c.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/2014deer2_zps4fb2e27c.jpg

Iron Whittler
10-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Congrats on your hunt. A father & son hunt trip Is among the top rated things on my fun list. Best wishes on future outings. Iron Whittler

Hamish
10-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Great, great story and pics Ron, thanks very much for sharing with us and congrats to the boy! Really neat for me as the pics remind me of a hunt with my Dad outside of Salmon.

CastingFool
10-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Congrats on the successful father & son hunting trip. Fresh venison is always good!

MrWolf
10-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Congrats on a great memory from a another Ron!

johnson1942
10-05-2014, 10:56 AM
memories are way better than money. beautiful country also.

Fly
10-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Who is in those bags???? Kidding!

Fly

koger
10-05-2014, 10:30 PM
C'mon man, give us some more details!! Yardage, more info on that cool looking barrel on a renegade, twist, weight bullet, etc! Congrats to you both, reminds me of hunting with my son when he was a teenager.

idahoron
10-05-2014, 10:55 PM
My son shot his buck off hand at 75 yards. Under 100 yards he is a sniper with that rifle off hand. The guns are Hot Rod Renegades. They have Green Mountain 1-28 twist barrels. The bullets are Paper Patched 460 gr Lee 500 S&W bullets. The powder is 80 gr of Pyrodex P with an over powder wad.
Jacob's deer was in the middle of the trail as we came around the corner. It was so close that I didn't use the rangefinder I just said kill it! The bullet went through the lungs and I saw it bounce off the side of the hill behind him. For a second I thought he missed. The buck took off running and went over the edge and went down the mountain. I shoved my rifle in his hands and said go after him. I went to work loading his gun as he went after the buck. I heard him yell it was down and I headed down. When I took the picture he actually has my rifle. He was so excited we forgot to trade rifles for the picture. We drug it a 100 yards to a spot where I thought I could get the ATV and I went for the ride. He gutted and skinned his buck and he did my doe. Finally getting old has it's privileges.

My doe.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/2014deer3_zps390a4e71.jpg

His buck

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/2014deer4_zps2ae38ea5.jpg

smoked turkey
10-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Very nice hunt. Congratulations to you both. 75 yards off hand is some good shooting. Chip off the old block? Definitely some good memories that money can't buy.

idahoron
10-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys.

rlb
10-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Great job guys. Thanks for sharing the great times.

Ok, where is that? Looks kinda familiar.

dlbarr
10-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Congrats to you & Jacob. Great story, Ron. Those are good times!

Gonna have to try that load in my GM 1:28...

idahoron
10-06-2014, 11:39 PM
Featherville

rlb
10-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Cool. That can be some pretty good buck country. Bennett mountain is also a good buck hunt if ya know someone over there. Congratulations again on a great time.