PDA

View Full Version : cases dont spin true

Mike0904
02-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Shot most of my loaded ammo yesterday so I cleaned em an started the reloadin process, decided to check the case lengths I started with my turdy turdy and found bout 5 that were cut crooked but the real thing was how out of true my baby RB 45/70's were........anyone know who makes the trueeest cases if its possible ? I have nib winchesters and they too are the same.

Thanks,
BPCR newby

montana_charlie
02-04-2008, 01:31 PM
It seems you are saying the mouths of your brass cases are not cut square.

If you are talking about new brass, I always expect to have to true-up the mouths, anyway.

If that is your issue, and you have trimmed that brass yourself, look to your trimming tool.
A trimmer that cuts a 30-30 mouth at a slight angle might not be noticeable. But that same angle on a .45 case shows up more clearly.

Suffering from the same problem, I switched to the L. E. Wilson trimmer.
CM

Mike0904
02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Let me see if I can explain it more precisely...I use a Hornady trimmer which holds
the shell firm and the trimmer cutter is turned with a crank. The problem I have is when the shell is locked in position the mouth does not line up anywheres near
the center of the trimmer, all cases whether new or my used ones are the same. I checked the runout at the shell holder and its good.

wonderwolf
02-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Do those kinds of trimmers take a pilot? I should hope so really

ktw
02-04-2008, 11:13 PM
I don't know how much out of alignment you are talking about, but...

You aren't supposed to lock down the case in the shellholder until the pilot is already in the case mouth. Align it with the pilot first, lock it down second.

-ktw

454PB
02-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Run the pilot into the case and then tighten the lock. In other words, allow the case to self center before locking it stationary.

Mike0904
02-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Yes I do use the pilot I was just concerned that the cases werent real straight !
I guess they are alright then.....:castmine: