PDA

View Full Version : Can I use dillon dies on a rock chucker?

zanemoseley
10-05-2014, 12:07 AM
So here's the deal I just got a rock chucker to get started reloading and sizing boolits using a Lee sizer. I plan on using this for my rifle rounds probably forever and will use it for pistol rounds for a short time. I hope to soon get a dillon 550b to load pistol shells and would like to get dillon .45 acp dies. Will the dillon dies work on the rock chucker. Problem is I think the powder station bells the mouth of the case and this wouldn't transfer to the rock chucker as it isn't part of the die set, it's part of the conversion set. On the other hand I'm new to metallic reloading so may have no idea what I'm talking about lol.

VHoward
10-05-2014, 12:27 AM
You can use the dillon dies. To get the case belled, you can buy a Lyman "M" die or a Lee powder through expander die seperately.
http://www.titanreloading.com/pistol-reloading-dies/lee-pistol-powder-thru-expanding-die/-45-acpauto-rimwin-mag-powder-thru-expanding-die
The Lee die is only $11.18 and will work well.

Davidk
10-05-2014, 05:45 AM
You can use the dillon dies. To get the case belled, you can buy a Lyman "M" die or a Lee powder through expander die seperately.
http://www.titanreloading.com/pistol-reloading-dies/lee-pistol-powder-thru-expanding-die/-45-acpauto-rimwin-mag-powder-thru-expanding-die
The Lee die is only $11.18 and will work well.

I have used the Lee die and concur. You will probably find single stage loading for large amounts of handgun cartridges to be daunting, but its a start

Dave C.
10-05-2014, 10:47 AM
All you need to use all the Dillon Dies is a Dillon powder die. Then when you expand the cases you can also charge it if you want.

VHoward
10-05-2014, 12:25 PM
All of my dillon powder dies require the powder measure to be installed on top to get the case belled.

too many things
10-05-2014, 12:37 PM
as much trouble as it is to change dies on a Dillon ,best would just get a lee set. leave the 45 dies on the Dillon.
I don't know about the 550 but on the 650 you have to turn the lock nut upside down to use lee dies

VHoward
10-05-2014, 12:56 PM
What I got out of the OP's post was that he has a rockchucker now, but later wants to get a 550. So he wants to buy the dillon dies to begin with and then transfer them to the 550 when he gets it.

NavyVet1959
10-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Dillon also has a "Square Deal" press and from what I understand, the dies for it will not work the 550 or other presses. For this reason, I would avoid the "Square Deal" press, even if I was wanting to set it up as dedicated to a single caliber. I don't like being tied to a single manufacturer for additions to something.

Now, having said that, I tend to just use the Lee dies with my Dillon. They work well enough for my uses and cost less.

zanemoseley
10-05-2014, 08:11 PM
VHoward, you're right. I'll be using the dillon dies on the rock chucker for a while then sometime next year they will go on a 550b. At that point the rock chucker will be dedicated to rifle loads and sizing bullets.

runfiverun
10-05-2014, 08:22 PM
regular dies work just fine on the Dillon presses
their dies have a couple of advantages [like a super easy to clean seating die] but I don't really like their size dies,
they eject the primer very well but are built around jacketed bullets.
for cast boolits I prefer to use lee carbide sizing dies in my handgun cases they are cheap enough to just buy them for each caliber.
I use other brands of dies for the seating and such and use the powder through die you get in the changeover kit for the press.

zanemoseley
10-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Should I just get the Lee universal flaring die if I won't be installing a powder measure atop the die. It can be used from .22 up to .45.

VHoward
10-05-2014, 10:40 PM
That is another good option, but watch that you don't over flare the case.

nicholst55
10-05-2014, 10:58 PM
I'm currently using a set of Dillon .45 ACP dies on my Lyman Orange Crusher with complete satisfaction. I added an RCBS expander die to the equation, since I already had one on hand. Actually, adding a Dillon powder die and funnel would probably (possibly?) require you to use a Dillon powder measure to make everything sync together properly. No reason that you couldn't go that way, but I think I'd simply add a Lyman 'M' die to the mix.

David2011
10-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Hi Zane,

The Dillon dies have a nice feature that other dies don't. If you use the and the Lyman M die you won't regret it. The spring loaded decapping pin helps prevent pulling the primers back into the primer pocket after punching them out. Grinding and polishing a small bevel on any decapping pin also helps prevent the same problem. What I've found over the years is that I go to a single stage press if loading fewer than 100 rounds whether rifle or pistol. Except for .223, I seldom load more than 20 to 50 rifle rounds at a time and for big pistol loads like .44 mag and .45 Colt, I usually load 100 on a Rock Chucker. I have toolheads for my Dillon 550b in those calibers but it just takes too much time to set up the Dillons for a short run unless it's already set up for the cartridge you want to load. Besides, single stage loading is therapeutic and mind clearing therapy. I love my Dillons but they are much more demanding of concentration, listening to and feeling everything that happens.

David