PDA

View Full Version : Seating plug for Lyman 457132??

MC One Shot
10-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum or not. If not please move.

Is there a seating plug available for Layman's 457132 Postell? I have searched but cannot find one. I have RCBS Legacy 45-90 dies.

Thank you.

country gent
10-04-2014, 05:12 PM
I dont think there is a plug dedicated to this bullet. there are several ways to make one at home that are quick and easy. The first and easiest is to open the seating plug with a drill bit as deep and large as possible. (Drill press will work lathe is better). Find a loaded round that has little to no runout of the bullet. coat bullet and die body with several coats of paste wax or release agent. MIc up some standard JB epoxy and place a small amount in the seating plug and assemble die put the die in press and loaded round in shell holder run seater down to depth and let cure. If the bullet hits sides but dosnt bottom out the seater can be lapped to form with a vew bullets and valve grinding compound then a finer lapping compound. Depending on how "close" the seater is to the bullet is this can take a little time.

John Boy
10-04-2014, 05:23 PM
I have RCBS Legacy 45-90 dies.What is the shape of the plug in the RCBS seating die? If it is a round nose - your good to go. If not, see if the plug has 2 different shapes.
If the plug is not for a round nose or puts a ring on the nose: fill the cavity with hot glue - spit on the bullet nose and twist in glue - cut off excess glue on the plug - enjoy seating your bullets with no ring

kokomokid
10-05-2014, 08:36 AM
I have always used JB weld and it will last maybe a thousand rounds if you are careful but if I can find my hot glue gun im going to try it. How hard is your bullet to seat?

montana_charlie
10-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I have always used JB weld and it will last maybe a thousand rounds if you are careful but if I can find my hot glue gun im going to try it. How hard is your bullet to seat?
A 457132 should not be hard to seat in anybody's case.
If you are not shooting a 'soft' alloy, you are different from most.
And ... with 'soft', you don't want to apply enough seating pressure to deform the bullet.

If you are seating into neck tension, that should be no more than a couple of thousandths (probably) and you SURE don't want to be compressing powder as you seat.

If you are seating into fireformed cases, you don't even need a bullet seating die.

CM