PDA

View Full Version : Star Press Needed ASAP - found one

Pressman
10-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Just an update for those that like to look at odd and/or really pretty reloaders. Some time back I was in serious need of a Star to complete a trade. I have located a Star and have it in hand. All that remains is to find time to get out of the house, and out of Iowa, long enough to deliver it to the gentleman I am trading with in north Texas.

The Star is truly a work of art, it is so pretty that I think it should go on the mantle over the fireplace as a conversation piece. It has been rebuilt, cleaned and polished, adjusted and is ready to start cranking out 45's.

The press I am trading for is a CV Schmitt Model 17. It is complete with more than one set of dies, a powder measure and case trimmer. Trimmer is an early Wilson. Schmitt 17's are hard to find. Made only in the later 1930's, They are large, heavy (62lbs) and hard to ship today. New it was packaged in a wood crate and shipped via Railway Express. Any one old enough to remember them?
For some reason they have a habit of shedding their paint even though the frame is cast iron. Adding this press to the collection nearly completes my collection of Schmitt tools. Remaining is a variation of the Model 20, a full length resizing only press based on the Model 17 frame.

Ken

LUBEDUDE
10-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Both great presses.

Congrats on the Schmitt! That is so awesome.

I would really like to see pics when you get it, as well as your collection. I only have couple of the model 12's.

Pressman
10-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Lube dude if you like Model 12's here is a quick peek at what I am currently working on. It looks like a Model 12 "new" and "improved" from the often used advertising line. It uses Model 12 dies and primer tubes but everything else is changed for what really looks like a better press.

Open invitation. I am planning on being in Ringgold TX on the Saturday of 18 October to make the swap. The guy with the Schmitt is an old Mustang mechanic, no, not the car or horsey type mustang. The stories should be interesting.

Ken

LUBEDUDE
10-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Pressman, that looks like a beefier press! Quite different, with more stability within the action areas.

Thank you for the invite. I think I may be in California at that time. If not, I would definitely like to meet up with y'all. I'll get back to Ya if it works out.

Thanks again!