PDA

View Full Version : Help identify press?

jdgabbard
10-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Have a friend who is trying to identify this press. He swears it's a shotshell press, but it looks like an arbor press to me. What do you guys think?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/05/zenuma8a.jpg

flyingmonkey35
10-04-2014, 02:35 PM
It look s like a standard 1ton shop press. With a custom jig.

HF sells them for 30 bucks.

Reg
10-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Yup, small arbor press with adjustable top stop ( added) and some kind of added crimping or piercing die on bottom. Handy to have but nothing to do with reloading.

fryboy
10-04-2014, 03:36 PM
well i wouldnt say nothing to do with reloading , wilson still makes dies to be used with such a press and the lee whack it set can be partially used with an arbor press , as it stands they do press per say ...

mdi
10-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Yep, arbor press set up for a specific precess. Sometimes I use my arbor press with my Lee Loaders...

jdgabbard
10-05-2014, 11:24 AM
That's what I figured. I was pretty sure it was an arbor press, but figured I'd give the vintage equipment gurus a chance to weigh in, as I have been known to be wrong in the past. Personally, my shop press is a standup 40 ton hydraulic, so I've never needed a bench top model.

country gent
10-05-2014, 12:51 PM
We had alot of those around the plant the basic presses are handy for alot of odds and ends work. That one was from a factory and was set up for a specific task probably in a production line. We had a few in the tool room with dies made up for them to bend form parts that quanities didnt require a actual stamping press running for hours at a time, but did reqire a accuarte form or shape. Loading dies are still available for use with an arbor press from wilson and others. That looks like it was set up to push a bearing or bushing into a part.

fguffey
10-05-2014, 08:11 PM
I have two, one uses .500 shank shell holders in the arbor and a modified plate with a 7X8"14 thread on the bottom (Bolted down). With modification I form cases in barrels chambers, beats chamber casting, Do not forget to lube the chamber, no matter what, there is no flex, the press wins over case resistance to sizing evertime.

Then there is the coaxial press, my old arbor presses beats the coaxial press by 30 pounds, or more.

F. Guffey

Char-Gar
10-05-2014, 10:13 PM
I use a 1 ton arbor press often in my reloading.