PDA

View Full Version : Credit where due

Tatume
10-04-2014, 01:31 PM
For years I've been shooting a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull with a pistol scope. It's a nice combination because the scope goes on and off without changing zero. About a year ago I got another Super Redhawk in 44 Remington Magnum. Because 44Man has said so many times how good the Ultra Dot sight is, I decided to try one.

When shooting from a bench using a rest the scoped Ruger will outshoot the one with the Ultra Dot. But from field positions, the Ultra Dot on the 44 Magnum is hands down the superior sight. In addition, it's also much smaller and lighter, making a fantastic hunting gun. I'll need to replace the scope on the 454!

Just giving credit where credit is due. Thanks 44Man.

waco
10-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Too bad hunting with Red Dot type scopes is illegal in Orygun. :(

44man
10-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Too bad hunting with Red Dot type scopes is illegal in Orygun. :(
What is that all about? Very strange.
Most of my best groups were shot with the red dot, the secret is the target used so you can center the dot. Do not make it any brighter then you can use. When hunting, I check the settings while the day goes on so I can roll on the switch just right. Morning or evening, 1 is enough but as the sun goes up, you need more.
I see the shakes with a scope even though from the rest it is better but not much. I am shaking much more with age and the red dot is still best for deer.
Since the Ultra Dot has held up to the .500's while cheap ones broke even on the .44, I stay with them.

monge
10-04-2014, 03:00 PM
When 44man speaks I listen ! nothing takes the place of experience !!!!!!!

jmort
10-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Yes indeed.

tygar
10-04-2014, 04:44 PM
What is the full name of the "Ultra Dot"?

I need another for .500 & 454.
Tom

Tatume
10-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Hi Tom,

Ultradot red dot sight. Here they are at Midway, but you can get a new one for about $15 less at eBay or Amazon, all with shipping included.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615022/ultradot-red-dot-sight-1x-4-moa-dot-with-weaver-style-rings-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Take care, Tom

Davidk
10-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Hi Tom,

Ultradot red dot sight. Here they are at Midway, but you can get a new one for about $15 less at eBay or Amazon, all with shipping included.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615022/ultradot-red-dot-sight-1x-4-moa-dot-with-weaver-style-rings-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Take care, Tom

careful about buying on ebay, lots of fakes. I would stick with buying from a dealer

44man
10-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Best place is Ultra Dot West, they always paid shipping and are fast.
I like the 30mm, 4 min dot. I don't like the adjustable dots, they can change point of impact as you change the picture.
Heads up stuff have weak mounting setups. You can shear screws.
I use the rings that come with the dots but use three on the larger guns so it would be worth it to see if you can buy a separate set of rings when you order. They hold very well.
If you mount to a SRH, Ruger will swap unused 1" for 30mm.
Never put a ring directly over glass. I put one front ring against the turret and install the extension tube tight and put another ring on it. Back ring is in a normal spot, no problem.
Only gun I had trouble with is the BFR .475 with two Warne Rings, gun has so much torque it would turn the gun under the scope, had the devil to stop the turn. The .500 JRH has held with three Ultra Dot rings.
I don't think the 4 min dot is that large either, I have no trouble holding on a pop can at 100 from the bench. Just don't crank the brightness too high.
Once you hunt with it, you will never go back to a scope. Scopes are fine but not off hand.
The reason I changed is I could not see the cross hairs or the deer through a scope in the early morning or evening. Even 2X was too much. I seen a black hole only. Had to let deer walk until it got lighter out.
I called Magnum Research and asked what they used and was told Ultra Dot.

44man
10-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Be careful with Ruger rings, they are close together and many dots will not fit between them. The straight Ultra Dot WILL fit. Others have longer turrets, even the adjustable picture dot Ultra Dot.

waco
10-05-2014, 12:13 PM
What is that all about? Very strange.
Most of my best groups were shot with the red dot, the secret is the target used so you can center the dot. Do not make it any brighter then you can use. When hunting, I check the settings while the day goes on so I can roll on the switch just right. Morning or evening, 1 is enough but as the sun goes up, you need more.
I see the shakes with a scope even though from the rest it is better but not much. I am shaking much more with age and the red dot is still best for deer.
Since the Ultra Dot has held up to the .500's while cheap ones broke even on the .44, I stay with them.

Oregon has all kinds of stupid hunting laws. They don't even allow bow hunters to use Lumaknocks (not sure on spelling)

monge
10-05-2014, 02:28 PM
You want stupid come to NY

waco
10-05-2014, 03:40 PM
You want stupid come to NY

LOL! No thanks. Oregon is liberal enough for me as it is!