PDA

View Full Version : Lubing 1866/1873 Toggle Link Actions - Oil or Grease?

101VooDoo
10-04-2014, 11:25 AM
The loading gate on my Uberti 1866 failed a couple days and I had to strip it down to clear some rounds out of the action. Figured I'd give it a thorough cleaning and lube while it was apart. A quick google search didn't come up with much info, some mentioned light grease on everything and others just oil. So I was curious as to how you guys normally lube your toggle-links. I'm thinking grease in the link grooves and carrier arm hole and oil on all the pins & the bolt?

Also, I was at my first Cowboy shoot a couple months ago, and one of the guys told me my 1866 was too dry and that I should lube the carrier. I've been doing that, but the only mention of carrier lubrication I could find said don't, and to run the carrier dry. Any opinions on that?

Jim

101VooDoo
10-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Found this on Pioneergunworks' site:

"When you are ready for final assembly, apply a small amount of grease to the pins on the receiver
and bolt where the links pivot. Also apply some grease inside the slots in the links where the lever
pin rides, and where the springs make contact with the lever and elevator arm. All other friction
points should be lightly oiled as well."

No mention of oiling the carrier.

aviator41
01-30-2015, 01:10 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd toss my $.02 in.

Don't oil the carrier. run it dry. Why? oil on the carrier will collect grime from ammo as it's fired. This grime will turn into sludge over the course of a CAS match and can cease or severely hamper the carriers ability to ride up and down in it's slot, essentially jamming the gun up.

fouronesix
01-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Good quality grease in link raceways. Oil other pivot pins/contact points in action. Oil or light dab of grease on the arm contact surfaces that operates the lifter block. Very light evaporative oil on lifter block race way in frame followed by dry powder graphite.

I wouldn't worry too much about buildup of junk in a 73 action. They are very easy to take apart, clean up and re-lube every year or two if shot a bunch.