PDA

View Full Version : ultra sonic cleaner on molds, any good?

landers
10-03-2014, 11:15 PM
I was working on a mold that was giving me problems and decided to try a super clean by setting up an Outer/gunslick electronic bore cleaner system, WOW it was amazing how much lead and junk was pulled out of that mold. The mold started casting better and it got me thinking of using a ultra sonic cleaner since the gunslick electronic bore cleaner solution is no longer available. How well does an ultra sonic cleaner remove lead and tinning seeds from a mold? Just a curiosity before I invest in more equipment, which I am not opposed to, any reason to add more cool stuff to my shop is good enough for me.

runfiverun
10-04-2014, 06:54 PM
you could try some simple green.

osteodoc08
10-04-2014, 07:00 PM
I used the cheap Lyman, didn't really notice a difference. I was better off using traditional methods outlined here. YMMV.

montana_charlie
10-06-2014, 02:14 PM
How well does an ultra sonic cleaner remove lead and tinning seeds from a mold?
The ultrasonic cleaner is great for 'degreasing' a mould, but I have never tried to use it for removal of
melted-on metals.
I would be surprised (though pleasantly surprised) if it works.

CM

AggieEE
10-06-2014, 02:36 PM
One word of caution. A aluminum mold will frost from the ultrasonic action. There are special formulated cleaners for aluminum but I don't know how good they are for metal removal. For steel or brass if it works for you go for it.