PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me "composite pistol mould"

hotwheelz
02-03-2008, 08:49 PM
A friend of mine past away and I trying to help his family liquidate his estate. I came across these molds and I have never heard of them could someone explain them to me. It looks like 1 mold makes a hollow point type bullet and the other makes a filler fot the holow point . Is this to make a soft point bullet??? thanks for the help. the part # is 429625 there is a core mold and jacket mold.

shooter93
02-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Yep...the twp pieces were epoxied together. I never used them so I couldn't say hpw well the worked.

StrawHat
02-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Two part mold.

Base is cast hard, nose is cast softer.

I believe the two parts were then epoxied together and loaded.

As I recall it was quite a pain to accomplish.

Anyway, your mold is for a 44 caliber cartridge like the 44 Magnum or 44 Special.

floodgate
02-03-2008, 09:30 PM
hotwheelz:

I have a set and someone else here was asking about them a week or two ago. Interesting idea (an old one, though; the old Ideal Mfg. Co. made these back around 1900, but with a "golf-tee" interlock on the tip section - you cast it first, then dropped it into a standard mould and poured the harder alloy in to form the driving and base sections of the boolit; I also have one of these, and it seems to work OK). The epoxy assembly looks simpler, but I understand that the modern ones didn't catch on, and were soon discontinued. Worth giving it a try - I haven't used mine yet (my "tuits" are all square at this point).

floodgate

MtGun44
02-04-2008, 02:19 AM
I would be interested in buying the mold set for 44 cal if you have a
reasonable price in mind.

Bill