PDA

View Full Version : Scored a $15 set of 40 dies... unfortunately...

silverado
10-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Today I found a set of LEE 40 dies at my pawn shop that was missing the sizing die for $15. Considering I decap seperately, and a FCD was included, I figured I would take the chance. I pushed a handful of brass through the stripped fcd backwards, and the cases are approximately .422/.423. Would I still need to resize these with a standard sizing die? I was hoping I could make this work. I don't even own a .40 cal pistol, but plan on it in the future. I have more .40 brass than .45, and I actually shoot .45 :roll:Thoughts?

Motor
10-03-2014, 10:27 PM
The FCD is only slightly smaller than the minimum spec chamber. It's job is to iron out slight bulges caused by crooked seated bullets amoung other things. It will not size your brass for reloading purposes.

Boy how times have changed. I have RCBS die sets that cost less than $20 new.

silverado
10-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Well... I guess then I will have to get another set, so that I can swap sizing dies between turret plates allowing independent 40 and 10mm reloading.... tentative of course, don't tell my wife :mrgreen:

VHoward
10-04-2014, 12:00 AM
http://leeprecision.com/full-length-sizing-die-only-complete.html
You can get just the pistol carbide sizing die only from Lee for $29. You could get it for less from Titan Reloading I believe.

brtelec
10-04-2014, 01:48 AM
A carbide sizing die from Lee is a special order in 40 S&W

Three44s
10-04-2014, 10:00 AM
What press are you running?

A LNL runs better with longer die bodies than Lee, Hornady being the top pick for that press.

Three 44s

W.R.Buchanan
10-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Yes you MUST FL Size after Debulging either the .40 S&W or 10MM which is what you are doing with the FCD.

Go to Titan Reloading and order a Lee Carbide FL Sizing Die from them.

Best price and quickest service. If you did it today, you'd probably have the die by next Friday.

Titan's prices are less than Lee website prices, and his shipping service is much faster. He probably has these dies in stock.

Just do this and you'll be happy.

Randy

VHoward
10-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Titan Reloadings website says that die is special order. But you would still get it for less through Titan than directly from Lee. Lee will always sell at full retail price. They give dealers discounts on the product and it is up to the dealer on how much they sell it for as long as they don't advertise below a minimum advertised price (MAP). This way Lee isn't competing with their dealers and they are encouraging customers to buy from the dealers.

mikeinctown
10-07-2014, 11:00 PM
You guys have me confused. The FCD is supposed to be the last die in the process. For sizing the case wouldn't you use something like an EGW U die? Size with teh EGW, powder, bullet seat, then factory crimp?

I'm looking at loading .40 S&W and thought it was pretty straightforward. Now I'm quite confused.

VHoward
10-08-2014, 12:20 AM
Yes, the FCD is supposed to be the last step. The original poster was asking if he could get away with using the FCD instead because the die set he found at a pawn shop was missing the sizing/decapping die. The answer is no.

W.R.Buchanan
10-11-2014, 02:47 PM
mike in town: Here's what we are talking about. Please pay attention as many people do not understand this operation.

The 40 S&W is notorious for bulging the cases just above the extractor groove when fired from most auto pistols. Glocks especially.

To Remove this Bulge we use a Lee Factory Crimp Die with the Crimp ring removed. This ends up being a die with only a carbide sizing ring in the base. The cases are pushed completely thru the die with a pusher supplied with the Lee Bulge Buster Kit. This operation returns the case to a cylindrical form and removes the bulge. This step increases case life dramatically and also increases safety by reforming part of the case that can be weakened at the bulge.

This is a "Case Preparation" operation only !

It is not a substitute for Full Length Resizing and Full Length Resizing alone does not remove the bulge as the die can't get down low enough to accomplish this function. They are two completely different steps.

Then you reload the prepped cases in the normal manner by De-priming/Full Length Resizing them, Re priming, Expanding the case mouth, charging, seating bullet and then using the Lee Factory Crimp die with all the pieces replaced, you taper crimp the round. The Carbide Ring in the FCD is there to insure that you haven't deformed the case in some way while loading it and thus insures that all of your loaded rounds will chamber.

Redding makes a dedicated die for doing this step but it is way too expensive. The Lee FCD is about $12 that's why we use it.

Please read this post many times until you fully understand the process.

Randy

VHoward
10-11-2014, 04:23 PM
That was a good brief description.