PDA

View Full Version : New project: 75 caliber BP cannon.

DanWalker
10-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Hey guys, Just picked up this 75 caliber smoothbore BP cannon.
Looking for ideas and patterns and even commercially available stuff, to complete this build.

Beagle333
10-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Wow, that's cool. I'll be watching this build!

bedbugbilly
10-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Looks like you have the beginnings of a nice little Parrott Rifle! Rammer, Sponge and Worm should be fairly easy to construct to scale. A sponge bucket shouldn't be too hard either = possibly constructed out to copper pipe - bottom and top made from cut down copper caps, etc. then painted black. Are you going to make a field carriage for this? A limber chest shouldn't be too hard either done to scale. I've made full size limber chests years ago from ordinance drawings. Probably South Bend Replicas may have some plans, etc. that could be scaled down?

Good luck with your project . . . should be lots of fun! it will be interesting to watch the progress!

DanWalker
10-03-2014, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure what type of carriage would be correct for this style barrel. Anyon know or have some pics? Would it be terribly incorrect to put it in a naval carriage?

webradbury
10-07-2014, 12:25 AM
A naval carriage would definitely be easier to build. I wouldn't see a problem with it, personally. If your happy with it, that's all that matters! Nice barrel. I built a full scale cannon and loved it. Only shot blanks for the boom but it was fun! The problem with the big ones is their insatiable appetite for expensive black powder and the need for a trailer and assistance to load and unload. Any ideas on what ignition system you will use? I rigged up a simple percussion lock to fire mine.

DanWalker
10-07-2014, 05:00 PM
It will be ignited by fuse.

FrankG
10-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Swivel gun size .

JWFilips
10-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Two I have Built: Left 2 Pdr "Somme Beaue" & Right 1/2 Pdr Swivel Gun "Ginger"!

DanWalker
10-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Would Pyrodex RS be ok to shoot in it until I can find some proper cannister grade BP for it? I figure any load that's safe in a musket of the same caliber should be safe in this thick walled cannon barrel. any suggestions on loads?

DanWalker
11-07-2014, 04:09 AM
Here's an update for anyone who might be interested. Got it all stained and put together today. Just finished screwing down the trunion straps a bit ago. I made up some 100 grain powder charges with 1F Goex, wrapped in aluminum foil. Will be firing ball bearings(with sufficient windage) over top of these charges. I will post video of the firings after we shoot it on Sunday.

gnoahhh
11-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Looks a treat!

Silvercreek Farmer
11-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Muzzle season is open! Made me think of this: http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

Looks like he didn't even loose much meat! I guess cast "eating up to the hole" applies to cannons as well!

DanWalker
11-08-2014, 12:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4glXe1CbTw&feature=youtu.be

MaryB
11-16-2014, 01:40 AM
That takes me back to my teen years, friend had a small cannon and put it in a vice in the trunk of his car. Fired blanks at 3AM in the middle of the local college dorms, close trunk leave. Wait for the cop car scramble...