PDA

View Full Version : got two MEC's, need parts and help

Remiel
10-02-2014, 09:43 PM
118062one is a 600jr in 12 ga another is a 16 ga progressive, need to know what parts are missing? and can i change the progressive(grabber i think) to a 20 ga?

Remiel
10-02-2014, 09:45 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/dorianse7en/20141002_2134481_zps9478728c.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dorianse7en/media/20141002_2134481_zps9478728c.jpg.html)

EDG
10-02-2014, 11:19 PM
The progressive is a 650. I doubt it is worth switching over to 12 ga. The change over components will cost as much as a used 650 in 12 ga. MEC has illustrated parts lists and manuals on line.
The 650 does not size cases but sizing is not needed if you shoot an over and under.
If you shoot a pump or autoloader you might use the 600 Jr to size if you are able to convert the 650 to 12 ga.
Otherwise the 650 requires the use of a super sizer or one of the older MEC single station sizers. They made several versions of them.

The 600 Jr is at least missing 16, 17 and 18. A word of caution though. They made several different series of this machine so you need to figure out which version you have.
https://www.mecshootingsports.com/c-63-current-models.aspx
https://www.mecshootingsports.com/c-64-discontinued-models.aspx

Be sure to check the 700 Versamec and Versamec too.

https://www.mecshootingsports.com/p-384-650n.aspx

too many things
10-03-2014, 12:25 AM
the 650 was a good unit when you had good hulls. problem now is most have a steel head that needs to be resized.
sell it and get a grabber if you don't want to go up to a 9000
you can change ga on grabber with out using ALL the parts in the full kit.
if you don't know a lot about the presses it would be better to get a like new as if some one {worked} on it you may have more problems than you want
and get a universal charge bar

Remiel
10-03-2014, 11:26 AM
The progressive is a 650. I doubt it is worth switching over to 12 ga. The change over components will cost as much as a used 650 in 12 ga. MEC has illustrated parts lists and manuals on line.
The 650 does not size cases but sizing is not needed if you shoot an over and under.
If you shoot a pump or autoloader you might use the 600 Jr to size if you are able to convert the 650 to 12 ga.
Otherwise the 650 requires the use of a super sizer or one of the older MEC single station sizers. They made several versions of them.

The 600 Jr is at least missing 16, 17 and 18. A word of caution though. They made several different series of this machine so you need to figure out which version you have.
https://www.mecshootingsports.com/c-63-current-models.aspx
https://www.mecshootingsports.com/c-64-discontinued-models.aspx

Be sure to check the 700 Versamec and Versamec too.

https://www.mecshootingsports.com/p-384-650n.aspx

the 600jr is a mkV and i only paid 100 for the pair

Remiel
10-03-2014, 11:34 AM
the 650 was a good unit when you had good hulls. problem now is most have a steel head that needs to be resized.
sell it and get a grabber if you don't want to go up to a 9000
you can change ga on grabber with out using ALL the parts in the full kit.
if you don't know a lot about the presses it would be better to get a like new as if some one {worked} on it you may have more problems than you want
and get a universal charge bar

mostly reload win AA for the wife, brass heads so resizing not to much of an issue

seagiant
10-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Hi,
What I would do is take the adjustable charge bar and swap with the one on the 600Jr. Then get a primer feed for the 600 Jr and you have a top notch single stage loader that resizes and is pretty darn fast!

I would then sale the 650 to make back some money and never look back! IMO!

Remiel
10-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Hi,
What I would do is take the adjustable charge bar and swap with the one on the 600Jr. Then get a primer feed for the 600 Jr and you have a top notch single stage loader that resizes and is pretty darn fast!

I would then sale the 650 to make back some money and never look back! IMO!

good idea accept i need both 12 and 20 ga so either way i would need to convert one or the other to 20ga and with the parts list(not including primer tray) its about 100 bucks + shipping either way, unless someone wants to trade the 16ga progressive for a 20ga

seagiant
10-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Hi,
Sale the 650 then find another used Junior in 20ga.! I've used/owned just about every shotshell loader you can get. From Spolar to the MEC 600JR. The MEC Jr makes as good a shell as any!

Remiel
10-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Hi,
Sale the 650 then find another used Junior in 20ga.! I've used/owned just about every shotshell loader you can get. From Spolar to the MEC 600JR. The MEC Jr makes as good a shell as any!
Well then what do you think i can get for the 650?

seagiant
10-04-2014, 01:16 AM
Well then what do you think i can get for the 650?

Hi,
There's two ways to go with this. Go through the 650 and get what it needs to work properly from MEC and then sale it as working but used (ready to go) . Or find what it's missing and state that to potential buyers (sale as is)

It is yours and you know what you need. It is also worth what someone will pay you for it! Sorry!

W.R.Buchanan
10-04-2014, 03:33 PM
For a price comparison I'd go on Ebay and search MEC shotshell loaders and see what people are asking for the various machines. Aslo you can probably find what you need for yourself on there for a reasonable price. Buy the best looking one you see.

MEC's are by far the most popular loaders out there. As a result the resale is lower than other types simply due to the number available. Plenty for sale on Ebay.

And You do really need to resize your hulls. I personally resize and knock the primers out on a separate machine before I reload on a progressive. It just makes the progressive run smoother.

That way all my loaded ammo is the same and I don't need to separate types for O/U's or Autoloaders. I just pick out how ever many boxes I need for the days shooting.

I would also recommend the MEC shell boxing tray as it make boxing your reloaded ammo much easier. That's why you save the boxes after you shoot the shells.

Randy

Remiel
10-04-2014, 09:33 PM
For a price comparison I'd go on Ebay and search MEC shotshell loaders and see what people are asking for the various machines. Aslo you can probably find what you need for yourself on there for a reasonable price. Buy the best looking one you see.

MEC's are by far the most popular loaders out there. As a result the resale is lower than other types simply due to the number available. Plenty for sale on Ebay.

And You do really need to resize your hulls. I personally resize and knock the primers out on a separate machine before I reload on a progressive. It just makes the progressive run smoother.

That way all my loaded ammo is the same and I don't need to separate types for O/U's or Autoloaders. I just pick out how ever many boxes I need for the days shooting.

I would also recommend the MEC shell boxing tray as it make boxing your reloaded ammo much easier. That's why you save the boxes after you shoot the shells.

Randy

there are very few 16ga on ebay, and none are the 650, so no good baseline, as far as resizing if need be i have the lee load all but the wife has the only 20ga in the house and has shells on 3rd reload that still chamber after only being sized on 1st reload, I have 3 12ga and resize all because i never know what one i will grab on range day or even hunting day. the issue i see is if i put on ebay i will have to wait and sell if i am lucky i would get what i want inc fees, most likely i wild have to buy parts to be sold anyway

EDG
10-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Look at completed items on ebay and you may find all you need or it might take a few weeks.

If the 16 ga components for the 650 are complete you may be able to find some one to buy them or swap for 20ga.
16 ga are always rare these days. If a guy with a nice 16 ga gun needs a loader he may deal with you.
Otherwise list the 16 ga high and you may be able to sell it complete.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Remember when pricing an item, you can always go down, but going up in price is hard to do. For reloading stuff I sell, I base my pricing on current retail pricing and demand. If the item is in like new/excellent condition, I generally start with around eighty percent of retail and add the price of shipping the least expensive way to the farthest part of the country from me.

If it's something used I've acquired, I generally clean it up, repaint/restore it to like new/excellent condition before selling it. Why? Because it sells easier and you get the best price over all by saving the buyer a good deal of work. Many buyers are purchasing the item for the first time, so they are hoping to get something they don't have to figure out that's in good working condition.

Remiel
10-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Remember when pricing an item, you can always go down, but going up in price is hard to do. For reloading stuff I sell, I base my pricing on current retail pricing and demand. If the item is in like new/excellent condition, I generally start with around eighty percent of retail and add the price of shipping the least expensive way to the farthest part of the country from me.

If it's something used I've acquired, I generally clean it up, repaint/restore it to like new/excellent condition before selling it. Why? Because it sells easier and you get the best price over all by saving the buyer a good deal of work. Many buyers are purchasing the item for the first time, so they are hoping to get something they don't have to figure out that's in good working condition.

Well wife says if i am to take the time to disassemble, clean, repaint, and reassemble to sell may as well rebuild it the way i want, she has also looked at the cost of used and new complete mec's (both 600 and 635) are more than the initial cost (50.00) and conversion(130.00 sans primer tray) since its for her shells and she has final say, and i have yet to find a 635 for 20ga and a lot of the 600' end up being more inc shipping