PDA

View Full Version : Need decaping help

bobby65
10-02-2014, 08:26 PM
I bought a new lee universal decapper die and have been using it in a lee hand press just sitting watching tv I have broken two of the three pins I got with it just doing about 100 rounds or 223 75 % mill. 25% comm
What am I doing wrong ?
What should I be using in stead?
Bobby118058

docone31
10-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Eliminate the Berdan primers. Tough on decapping pins.

country gent
10-02-2014, 09:00 PM
With the lee hand press you may not be solid enough to keep everything lined up correctly like a mounted press will. I have some pliers type that work well ( I made these but there are some diffrent hand decappers recappers out there to purchase but they arnt cheap either. The hand press and inherent shake may be causing your issues

bobby65
10-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Just looked no berdan primers but a lot of crimped ones

GhostHawk
10-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Crimped ones will do it.

Lee sells a straight decapping pin for under 3$, I recently bought a couple because I broke the original in my lee loader. In my case, yes, it was a Berdan primer that I didn't catch.

One thing about doing it manually with a small hammer, pin and block, is that when it "bounces" you can stop, set that case aside and try another. Or you can risk it and try again, knowing that there is a chance you'll break your pin.

Or you can be a bit more fussy about what brass you buy/pickup.

Choices are pretty simple really, and they are yours to make.

500MAG
10-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Have to remove the crimp for first decapping.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Lee decapping pins are tough to break, but Berdan primed cases will do it for there is no hole for the pin to go through. In a Lee sizing the decapping pin will usually slide upward in the collet that holds it when an obstruction is encountered. In either case the pins are some kind of roll pin that is very hard so they can shatter or snap under sudden stress. Undersize flash holes can be the cause too of pin failure. It is wise to inspect cases prior to going ahead with the operation to reduce the possibility of problems....Berdans can be easily spotted with a small flashlight whereas tight flashholes can usually be screened by feeling them with a decapping pin, but go slow and afterward eliminate the crimp on the pocket. LLS

troyboy
10-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Slow down making sure of alignment. If flash holes are to small or your alignment is off pins break. Did you inspect the brass that broke the pins?

Eddie2002
10-02-2014, 10:14 PM
I was breaking a lot of decapping pins with RCBS dies with crimped military brass. Ended up manually decapping anything that had a crimped primer. It's another step but it really reduces the stress on the dies and press. Also reduces the frustration of breaking pins during a reloading session. It's another step but so far it's been worth it. To remove the crimp once the primer is out I've been using a philips headed screw driver that I've ground the tip off so it doesn't bottom out and filed the blades sharp to cut the crimp.

VHoward
10-02-2014, 10:36 PM
How do you remove crimps while the spent primer is still in the pocket?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Sounds like you have the nut at the top of the die too tight so the pin can't give a bit if it runs into something tough. The Lee decapping dies are designed so the pin gives a bit when it runs into a berdan primed brass or a crimped in primer that's too tough.

If you're breaking pins, most likely you've tightened the nut too tight. Loosen it a bit and let it slip if it hits something really hard.

bobby65
10-02-2014, 11:29 PM
I looked at all the primers I took out and none where berdan I could tell the non crimped they came out easy. Some have green ring around the primer could not get them out that's what broke the first new pin so the ten or so of them got put in the scrap brass box. Not worth breaking any more pins

OBIII
10-02-2014, 11:32 PM
I busted my rcbs decapping pin on 30-06 Greek surplus brass, I had a set of Lee dies on hand as well, so far no problem decapping with that one. Is there something that makes rcbs dies more susceptible to pins breaking?

I'm glad you asked instead of me. :mrgreen:

OB

bstone5
10-02-2014, 11:59 PM
They are easy to fix. Heat with a propane torch, they will jump out once the glue holding the pin in expands and charts to burn.

Buy a drill blank the same diameter of the pin and glue in with some slow drying epoxy, I use the epoxy beading compound for thr glue.

The pins in the Lee hammer type can be replaced by the same process.

country gent
10-03-2014, 12:12 AM
That green ring is sealant the military and some others use to make the round water proof. Though I do think it has a effect on decapping at times. The Lee hammer pin does a great job is only a few dollars and is usefull for first time decapping, it is on the slow side at times. You can make this set up easy enough. Its a simple desighn of a cupped base to fit the case with a thru hole ( holds about 6-8 primers). A decapping rod that should be caliber specific to ease findiing the flash hole and a .050-.055 dia pin pressed in the end. Making your own allows a couple things ,1) caliber specific rods 2) a drill blank or shank to be fitted just long enough to push primer out. 3) the cuped base can be made 1 1/2 -2" in dia and a bigger cup deeper cup placed in the bottom allowing for more fired primers before it fills up. The Lee set is very useable but the homemade one I described even more so. A small ball peen hammer and a solid hit removes most primers first time.

troyboy
10-03-2014, 10:44 AM
To answer the RCBS pin question. Most decapping pins are not as robust as lee. The other advantage or disadvantage depending on your prefrance is the collet and rod arraignment of the lee dies. As mentioned is designed to slip,combined with a more robust pin is supposed to mean less broken pins.

farmerjim
10-03-2014, 11:00 AM
I have made a 3rd flash hole several times when berdan primed brass has slipped by me. Old Herters dies.

Char-Gar
10-03-2014, 11:04 AM
To remove crimped in military primers without breaking pins, use a punch and base set as sold by Wilson and Lee. Wilson is better, but Lee is cheaper.

gpidaho
10-03-2014, 11:41 AM
I just finished removing the crimped in primers on 500 Lake City .308 cases with my RCBS decapping die and broke no pins. Slow down a little. GP

Wayne Smith
10-03-2014, 12:06 PM
When you use a universal decapper the rod is not captured by the mouth of the case and it is easy to get it missaligned. I decap military brass the first time with a regular sizing die. The decapping pin is much more supported and straight in those.

joshk1025
10-03-2014, 01:30 PM
To answer the RCBS pin question. Most decapping pins are not as robust as lee. The other advantage or disadvantage depending on your prefrance is the collet and rod arraignment of the lee dies. As mentioned is designed to slip,combined with a more robust pin is supposed to mean less broken pins.
Thanks! Also thanks for the pin replacement tips bstone.

wallenba
10-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Loosen the lock nut a little more, so it can push up instead of breaking. Finding the 'sweet spot' is a trial and error thing. Start tight with known problem case, go easy, loosen until it gives.

Hang on to the broken ones if they have a little stub left. Those are great for lifting stubborn sizing dies from LAM'S or 4500's. Just find a lube hole and lift.

bobby65
10-03-2014, 04:11 PM
lots of info thank you all.
going to put the die in my other press and loosing up the nut holding the pin it was very tight to get lose.

bobby65
10-03-2014, 04:13 PM
That green ring is sealant the military and some others use to make the round water proof. Though I do think it has a effect on decapping at times. The Lee hammer pin does a great job is only a few dollars and is usefull for first time decapping, it is on the slow side at times. You can make this set up easy enough. Its a simple desighn of a cupped base to fit the case with a thru hole ( holds about 6-8 primers). A decapping rod that should be caliber specific to ease findiing the flash hole and a .050-.055 dia pin pressed in the end. Making your own allows a couple things ,1) caliber specific rods 2) a drill blank or shank to be fitted just long enough to push primer out. 3) the cuped base can be made 1 1/2 -2" in dia and a bigger cup deeper cup placed in the bottom allowing for more fired primers before it fills up. The Lee set is very useable but the homemade one I described even more so. A small ball peen hammer and a solid hit removes most primers first time.

The ones with the green are the ones that broke the pins. they did not come out. there was only a few so I tossed them

Garyshome
10-03-2014, 05:43 PM
make sure of alignment. And the pins do get broken, loosen the retainer bolt so the pin slides, might not work with crimped primers.

TaylorS
10-03-2014, 09:15 PM
I'd try it in a bench press I've been using the universal decapping die from lee and not had a pin break yet. That said I believe it has the HD pin in it and I only use it in the bench press

Motor
10-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Bobby, Most complain about the pin moving and want to know how to stop it from doing so. LOL

It sounds like you got some real tough military crimped brass. What head stamp does it have. I do a lot of range pick up and have encountered some real tough ones.

My RCBS RockChucker press gives me good feedback and is awsomely powerfull. I have driven the decapping pin (RCBS) straight through some of these tough crimped primers. You may just want to avoid that headstamp brass.

bobby65
10-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Motor I will look at the head stamp and post back later

seaboltm
10-05-2014, 04:29 PM

Pretty sure this isn't possible, but I am open to learning something new. My Lee universal decapper is so strong that I once punched a new flash hole in a 38 special case when my turret got a bit misaligned.

Weaponologist
10-05-2014, 10:03 PM
I'm only mentioning this because no one else has yet...one of the best tools I've bought lately. Where you can pretty much be anywhere doing anything while your dePriming your Brass. Is the Harvey Depriming Tool...http://www.harveydeprimer.com/ Love this tool....

gunoil
10-07-2014, 09:33 PM
I have the lee set up and its a new world decapping here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThMYhaZ-bMM

blk die, a dillon pre-expander
dillon counter
lee universal expander
lee universal decapper
I have a t-shirt hammocked down in a 5 gallon bucket to catch em.
empty? (it holds a zillon spent primers).