PDA

View Full Version : i learned not to overcharge to day

johnson1942
10-02-2014, 03:13 PM
took my .45 1/30 twist out to fine tune the paperpatched bullet i shoot in it and was not happy with the first group. i was shooting at a x on a piece of computer paper at .50 yards. then after 5 lousey shots i realized i had set the sights at 70 grains and i was useing 80 grains. as soon as i went to 70 she settled in and stayed their. i used double wrap and single wrap on the bullets. i used 2 kinds of single wrap. 18 pound artist paper and 18 pound poly coated freezer wrap paper. are groups were good with each paper but the freezer wrap made target quality groups. i also found out with alox coating on the double wrap paper that it threw a flier now and then. on this gun i sticking with single wrap freezer wrap paper. i have to admit and you are can tell me i told you so, these are not magnum guns and magnum bullets. i hate also to admit i have to find that out from time to time again and again. one day i will get it right. its a lot more comfortable shooting not so heavy loads also. once a bullet has passed through a deer their is no more need for any more faster bullet. if your haveing trouble makeing good groups, back off on the powder, maybe that it.

tja6435
10-04-2014, 05:10 PM
What do you think about using a bullet coated with something like the Hi-Tek instead of paper patching?

They would look like this, and have an outside diameter of .452", which may be too big?

These are with a 1E nose profile

johnson1942
10-04-2014, 05:27 PM
could you expain more, i never heard of it and want to learn more. if that is a strong coating they could be sized down very easy in a push through reduceing die to .449 or .448 and be used in a fast twist muzzle loader. again give details on what it is. i may want to try it. also the .50/s could be sized down to .499 or .498 for the muzle loaders. the bullet shape is perfect with a nice cupped base. looking forward to more info.

tja6435
10-05-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm sure they can be sized down if you have the push through die diameters to do so.

The Hi-Tek lube coat is a dry coating that is applied wet, baked at 380° and that bonds it to the metal to eliminate bore lead fouling. I've used it with rifle bullets and lots of pistol bullets. I've run it in .223 and .458 SOCOM rifles from 950fps past 3000fps with no gas checks and had no problems with fouling.

I cast .460" 500gr bullets from a custom mold Hardline Industries made up for me. I coat those with the Hi-Tek lube coat and then size down to .451" so I can fit them into the swage die to make the cup base and 1E profile nose and that brings the final diameter up to .452". I am waiting on the punch for the cup base, like the bullets in the pic have. I expect it in about 2 weeks from Corbin. Right now , I only have the base punch for the Corbin style gas checks he calls 'BaseGuards'. That base punch leaves a flat base with a nipple in the middle that holds the gas check to the base of the bullet, if use with the gas check or not.

tja6435
10-05-2014, 09:42 AM
The bullets in the pic above have the Corbin BaseGuards, you can see the nipple in the center of the base that holds the BaseGuard on. The BaseGuard can be left off, but until I get the cup base punch, that's the only base punch I have for the .452" swage set.

The nose punch used on the bullets in above pic is the 'autoloader' profile. The copper colored bullets on the left are .435" 300gr from a Mihec 44/444-300 plain base mold. The were cast and then coated with the 'red copper' Hi-Tek lube coating. Starting with a hollowpoint bullet for the core allows me to either round the nose over or to leave it open for a finished swaged hollowpoint bullet

johnson1942
10-05-2014, 11:13 AM
thanks for post and reply. i found where i can buy this coating and im going to send for a small can. what im going to try is swage some .440 bullets for my 1/30 twist .45. then im going to knarl them up to about .45 with my corbin knarler tool. then coat and bake them. then size them to .448. then coat one coat of thin alox to grip the lands better. no paperwrap and see if they shoot bare like that and just powder and a wad. may shoot or may not shoot. if they grip the bore and not strip out they should shoot good. paper really does help grip the bore but this may also. this may be even simpler than paperpatch. their may be a good market for coated bullets for inlines and fastwist to hunt with. would comply with states who dont let anyone use anything but a lead bullet. i will let every one know how they shoot. the best layed plans of mice and men sometime go asunder, but then again maybe not.

tja6435
10-05-2014, 11:18 AM
I can send you some of the Hi-Tek powder that all you have to do is mix it with acetone. That way you can try some before investing in more. I only have Zombie Green in the powder, but plenty would fit in an envelope with a couple stamps for your testing

tja6435
10-05-2014, 11:20 AM
I could also send along some of the finished bullets that you could size down to the diameter you need to save you some time.