PDA

View Full Version : Heard of delays in renewing FFLs?

WallyM3
10-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Recently (like this week), an FFL was sent with a MO to complete the purchase of a rifle. Said FFL expired the day before it arrived. Naturally, the seller can't ship until he gets a current FFL.

Thing is, the FFL holder sent in the renewal and funds a long time ago. "We're still researching your background." :veryconfu The gent is in his 70s and has held an FFL for his store since...well, many decades.

In order that he may continue this line of business, the BAyou-know-who is allegedly sending an official letter of extension of the FFL.

This very same thing happened at his last renewal. It went on for a few weeks until his lawyer directed him to use the phrase "restrain of trade", after which utterance he received his new FFL in 2 days.

Anyone else heard of/had this experience? :confused:

oneokie
10-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Have heard of one instance, however I do not know the details of the time line.

RickinTN
10-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Have another of your local ffl's send a copy of their license and let them do the transfer for you. Then you won't have to wait.
Rick

MaryB
10-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if Holder order the ATF to delay renewals and force small sellers out of business. Would fit right in with operation choke point.

mrvmax
10-03-2014, 06:47 AM
I am an FFL and frequent FFL only forums and I have not heard of this happening any more than it has in the past. If he knew he was not going to get his new license in time he should have gotten and LOA from the ATF so he could continue to d business.
https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/firearms-how-renew-FFL

WallyM3
10-03-2014, 07:49 AM
He sent in the renewal in plenty of time. He's been a holder for decades, but a small "General Store" operation. He just e-mailed that he got the LOA.

He's one of the few FFLs around. And a mere 4 doors down the road.

As this same thing happened at the last renewal, I was particularly interested in how often this might be occurring elsewhere.