PDA

View Full Version : .69 cal brass blunderbus load info needed

DanWalker
10-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Hey guys. Picked up the blunderbuss for cheap and trying to figure out where to start for loads. It's just for fun and shredding milk jugs. I was thinking 6 or 7 36cal rb's over a decent charge of BP. Any ideas on charge weights? I'm just leery because it's a brass barrel.

DIRT Farmer
10-02-2014, 11:58 AM
A standard load would be 80 grains of powder, 12 ga card wad, fiber wad and 1 1/8 oz of shot/buckshot with an over shot wad.

HOWEVER, I do not know your gun and do not know if it was built to use or was intended for decoration. There are some out there that look good but are not safe. That part is up to you.

curator
10-02-2014, 03:52 PM
DanWalker,

Before shooting any brass barreled gun, pull the breech plug and inspect the threads. Breech plugs are usually steel on reproduction brass barrels. This can lead to "galvanic corrosion" particularly when adding black powder fouling to the mix. If the threads are in good order, use a quality anti-seize compound to coat them before reassembling. This will seal the gap between plug threads and barrel threads and keep powder fouling out. I use 70 grains of Fg or FFg, a 1/8 card wad, a 3/8 cushion wad then 9-10 pieces of #0 or #00 buck shot and a over-shot cork wad. These "big-mouth" guns are pretty light for stout loads, and patterns aren't much past 20 yards, but they do roar! If yours is one of the ones CVA imported back in the early 90s it will be a fun gun if you can get the lock to spark reliably.

waksupi
10-02-2014, 05:23 PM
I would like to know the brand, and maybe see some pictures. Some of the imported Pakistani Chrome guns would scare me to shoot. If it's CVA, you may be able to find factory recommended loads on the net.

DanWalker
10-02-2014, 10:13 PM
I would like to know the brand, and maybe see some pictures. Some of the imported Pakistani Chrome guns would scare me to shoot. If it's CVA, you may be able to find factory recommended loads on the net.
It's a CVA. It's the one my wife is shooting in the video clip on my FB page.

waksupi
10-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Heck, you can probably load that up, to where it TELLS you to stop! :Fire: