PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Front Site on A-5

sprinkintime
10-02-2014, 12:15 AM
I have never done this, and need a little assistance. I have a broken site on my A-5, do you just bore it out and press in a new one or is it lock-titen in?
I have all the equipment to do this just need a little knowledge.

Thanks; Sprink

seagiant
10-02-2014, 12:45 AM
Hi,
It should be a M3X.5 thread! If you broke it off I would get a easy out or a tap. However to drill a straight hole you will need a good drill press. Be advised Browning A5 barrels are high dollar! You might want to take it to a Gunsmith! Just sayin!

Mk42gunner
10-02-2014, 05:29 PM
You also need to make sure there isn't any threaded shaft protruding into the bore once you get the new sight screwed into place.

I never heard of anyone using locktight on a shotgun bead.

Robert

sprinkintime
10-03-2014, 03:32 PM
The reason I'm saying this is I just received 2 of them from Gun Parts and they are not threaded, do I thread my own? I would never do a job like this on a drill press, I have a very good mill to do it on, a Gorton,at 4k #'s it don't move.

seagiant
10-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Hi,
Well... All the front beads I have replaced on a Browning were threaded. There are Brownings with just tapered shaft to be pinged in. What you have to do is get the old base out without hurting anything.

What I would do is drill a small hole in the broken base and take a small easy out and turn it in the old base CC just incase it is a threaded in type bead!!! If it is a tapered base fine you did not hurt anything!

As far as Drill press or mill,I have a Bridgeport Mill and that is what I would use but if I did not have a mill I would use a drill press,no problem! You just have to make sure you are drilling a straight hole and in the right location not touching metal around the old base!

This is all my opinion,how I would do it, and worth about what you paid for it!

country gent
10-03-2014, 05:08 PM
You can remove most broken thread stubs with a hammer and fine punch also. get on the edge of the stup and with a fine prick puncy tap a start point angle the punch and tap in direction of thread rotation to remove. I removed alot of broken bolts like this at work. If the shoulder is gone most of the tension is also. I prefer this over the small easy outs as they tend to expand the stup when tapped in making it tighter. Once out the appropriate tap can be used to clean up the threads.

Dan Cash
10-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Drill with a left hand twist drill. If threaded, it will come out.

RickinTN
10-04-2014, 09:09 AM
The proper threaded front bead may be available from Midwest Gunworks also.
Rick

sprinkintime
10-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Thank you for all your help, I think I will proceed.

Sprink