PDA

View Full Version : Bad LC95 Match .308 brass

fastfire
10-01-2014, 10:01 PM
A few month ago I bought 1k of this brass, just getting around to working it up.
While deburring the flash holes started seeing off center flash holes.
In this batch I found 10 with really badly off center flash holes and 24 that were just a bit off center in this batch of 120 pieces.

This is the first LC Match that I'd worked up but have 100 LC Match 68 that I haven't checked yet.

Has anyone found this in LC Match brass?
This is new unfired brass.

mac60
10-01-2014, 11:18 PM
I've seen it before on milspec brass and commercial brass. My feelings are that it isn't that big of a deal. Effect on accuracy is gonna be minimal.

tomme boy
10-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Except it may break your de-capping rod. I had some 223 brass that was like this. It made my groups open up like crazy. Threw it all away in the scrap bucket.

If this was new brass, it was surplussed because of this. Sort it out and get rid of the really bad stuff.

CastingFool
10-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Not much experience with match brass, but I did find off center flash holes in a bunch of 45 acp PMC brass. Went right into my scrap pile.

Scharfschuetze
10-02-2014, 11:58 PM
It's all part of the case prep process. Some lots are worse than others and apparently you got a bad lot and perhaps that's why it was for sale as unfired brass. As noted above, it occurs in all brands from time to time.

I just got through prepping a hundred LC Match 88 cases and had no discards due to off center flash holes. Just toss the bad ones and keep the good ones. Sounds like you'll still end up with a good number of usable cases.