PDA

View Full Version : slugged Carcano groves deep enough?

corvette8n
02-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Here is a pic of a couple of commercial cast 6.5 .265 dia. bullets, do the groves look ok I don't have my measuring tools handy at the moment. I have loaded some of these with 8.0gr of Unique and plinked, but am looking for a full house load to hunt with. The only powders I have on hand are H4895, Win 760 and IMR 7828. Any load suggestions are welcome. the smaller bullet is 129gr didn't weigh the larger one,guessing around 140. These have gc on them.

Buckshot
02-04-2008, 02:17 AM
................Looks as if the lands are engraving well, however I see in the photo is the boolit is sealing in the grooves? The Carcano's in 6.5mm usually have grooves running about .268". Hornady produced their 160gr RN jacketed slugs for the Carcano at .268". The light loads you'd used before might have been fine, but when you go to horse them up, you will probably have accuracy issues if the lands ARE .268".

Chances are even those light loads caused some gas cutting, just not enough to cause a big problem. You didn't say how those light loads really did. Does the lighter one really have only the one lube groove!?

................Buckshot