PDA

View Full Version : New Cimarron Evil Roy .45 Colt revlover. Disappointed

kenn
10-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I've been waiting on this thing for 3 weeks. I finally got it out of FFL prison and went straight to the range.

I cycled exactly 16 rounds, 4 of which were light strike and wouldn't go bang. I was getting random light strikes. Gun was shooting to left of aim. I examined the front sight and noticed it was loose. I put it back in the box as I was annoyed and the sight fell out. So, basically 3 weeks of waiting and it arrives a ***. Off to warranty it goes with a promise of 60 day turn around. Ugh. It sure is a pretty gun, though.

RED333
10-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Well if that dont get ya to yelling a bit. I will come back all fixed up.

waco
10-01-2014, 09:39 PM
That sucks. I have the same gun and love it! RCBS 45-270-SAA sized to .454" and lubed with BAC, loaded over 8.0gr. of Universal. Shes a dandy!

I hope they fix it up for ya!

dlbarr
10-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Funny. I mean...not really funny but, I had a conversation on the phone with them a few years back. I was looking at his guns and some competitors' and had a few questions. Cimmarron makes a big deal about how superior their hardware is so just thought I'd ask why? Not trying to be smart, just wanting to know and figured I'd get a straight answer. I didn't, but I did get an irate one and I thought that was fairly poor [future] customer service. Hearing this makes me wonder.

bedbugbilly
10-01-2014, 10:14 PM
kenn - are you sure your cylinder pin is in the correct position? The reason I ask is that I recently got a Uberti Bisley 4 3/4" (357). First time out, it wouldn't go bang. What the heck? LOL Then, I remembered . . . the cylinder pin also acts as a "safety". All the way in, it doesn't allow the hammer to fall completely into the frame so that you get a "bang". My pin has two grooves for the cylinder pin lock. All the way in - gun won't go off. Positioned in to the second groove (meaning the cylinder pin is further towards the muzzle) - no issue at all. I'm just wondering if your cylinder pin is the same and perhaps it is moving enough to prevent full hammer fall? Worth checking out . . . .

And by the way, my Uberti is not only a beauty, it shoots well too!

35 Whelen
10-01-2014, 11:25 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I was shooting a CAS match a good while back and one of the fellas shooting a 3rd Generation Colt also had the front sight come off. Defecation occurs.

Regarding the light primer strikes, I'm not surprised. I recently picked up a used Uberti 45 Colt, brought home and proceeded to install the wire bolt/sear spring as well as a Wolff hammer spring. Load up a handful of shells and hie off to the bench only to find the Wolf primers didn't like the light spring. Soo...I switched back to the factory spring and everything ignites just fine. I told that story because as I'm sure you know, the Evil Roy comes with a lightened hammer spring.

35W

kenn
10-02-2014, 02:01 PM
kenn - are you sure your cylinder pin is in the correct position? The reason I ask is that I recently got a Uberti Bisley 4 3/4" (357). First time out, it wouldn't go bang. What the heck? LOL Then, I remembered . . . the cylinder pin also acts as a "safety". All the way in, it doesn't allow the hammer to fall completely into the frame so that you get a "bang". My pin has two grooves for the cylinder pin lock. All the way in - gun won't go off. Positioned in to the second groove (meaning the cylinder pin is further towards the muzzle) - no issue at all. I'm just wondering if your cylinder pin is the same and perhaps it is moving enough to prevent full hammer fall? Worth checking out . . . .

And by the way, my Uberti is not only a beauty, it shoots well too!

Yeah, the pin is in the correct (not safe) position. I double checked that. It sure seems like the hammer is falling completely in place and is flush with the frame. There is quite a bit of float in the firing pin and I know that's by design but I'm wondering if there's too much there. Either way, it has to go back to the repair center and it'll be a while. Sorely disappointed as I paid a range fee and bought a box of decent ammo only to head home with a sight that was off and soft strikes.

I'm going to try to shoot .452 sized bullets. Is that too small, Waco? I thought the .45 colt was the same bullet diameter as the .45ACP. Perhaps I'm wrong there. If I need .454, I'm going to have to have another mold and sizing die over my .45ACP... Hoping I wasn't going to have to do that.

35 Whelen
10-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Your .452" bullets will be perfect. I've actually used from .451" up to a little over .453" and they all work fine. I have two sizers; one with a .452" and the other with a .453"+. I size bullets for my 45 Colt in both and don't find any detectable difference in accuracy.

35W

kenn
10-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Your .452" bullets will be perfect. I've actually used from .451" up to a little over .453" and they all work fine. I have two sizers; one with a .452" and the other with a .453"+. I size bullets for my 45 Colt in both and don't find any detectable difference in accuracy.

35W

Thanks! I placed a couple of my .4523ish PC bullets in both ends of the barrel and throat and they most certainly don't drop through or even enter easily so I'm going to fire some and see how it goes. Given I'm leaving to go to Asia in the morning, it won't head to the repair facility until week after next. Maybe I'll be lucky to shoot it by Christmas.

kenn
11-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Just thought I'd come back and update my "situation". As mentioned before, my Evil Roy arrived with numerous problems. I had to ship it back priority overnight as that's the only way it's allowed to go via Fedex. Shipping cost me $58! It has been at the repair center now for a little over a month and I've not received any correspondence or updates. I will never, ever buy another Cimarron product as long as I live. When this one gets back and I verify it is working 100%, I'll be putting it up for sale and getting something else. I'm not going to be held hostage by a manufacturer of defective products.

Though they are going through the motions, Customer Service has been rather curt and seemed a bit put off that I would suggest they should be paying for shipping to a repair center. Further they blamed transit bumps and jostles for the damage and insisted there was no way they would ship out a gun in such condition. Preposterous. It was packed inside the original box which was new and pristine, wrapped in bubble wrap, then packed inside another box. Both boxes were new in appearance when it arrived. There was no way the gun was damaged in transit. It was sent to me that way. Period.

I'll give Cimarron one more chance to refund the $58 I had to pay to have a brand new weapon fixed. If they choose not not, I'll politely, but forcefully make sure I post my experience - only the facts - on the proper cowboy action shooting forums. If I can cost them a sale or three, I'll have gotten my $58 out of them one way or another.

DougGuy
11-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Sorry to hear about such a negative experience, even sorrier to hear about their negative customer service. If every shooter posted his/her experience with them, either good or bad, they would get EXACTLY what they deserve. Let the chips fall where they land.

35 Whelen
11-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Just thought I'd come back and update my "situation". As mentioned before, my Evil Roy arrived with numerous problems. I had to ship it back priority overnight as that's the only way it's allowed to go via Fedex. Shipping cost me $58! It has been at the repair center now for a little over a month and I've not received any correspondence or updates. I will never, ever buy another Cimarron product as long as I live. When this one gets back and I verify it is working 100%, I'll be putting it up for sale and getting something else. I'm not going to be held hostage by a manufacturer of defective products.

Though they are going through the motions, Customer Service has been rather curt and seemed a bit put off that I would suggest they should be paying for shipping to a repair center. Further they blamed transit bumps and jostles for the damage and insisted there was no way they would ship out a gun in such condition. Preposterous. It was packed inside the original box which was new and pristine, wrapped in bubble wrap, then packed inside another box. Both boxes were new in appearance when it arrived. There was no way the gun was damaged in transit. It was sent to me that way. Period.

I'll give Cimarron one more chance to refund the $58 I had to pay to have a brand new weapon fixed. If they choose not not, I'll politely, but forcefully make sure I post my experience - only the facts - on the proper cowboy action shooting forums. If I can cost them a sale or three, I'll have gotten my $58 out of them one way or another.

Don't let this be an indictment on all Uberti/Cimarron products. I've lost count of how many have passed through my hands and all of them have been of exceptional quality for the money.

Understand, the Evil Roy model comes with lightened hammer spring installed. I used to install the same springs in my Uberti's until I got tired of the stupidly slow lock time and light primer strikes. CAS competitors understand this and use Federal brand primers because of it. I refuse. If a revolver won't function normally under normal field conditions with normal loads, then I won't have it...or at least the components therein.

A couple of years ago I was shooting a CAS match with a gentleman who was shooting a genuine 3rd Generation Colt. His front sight fell off. It happens. That said, they should NOT have charged you return shipping for revolver that was sent in under warranty. Unacceptable.

Back to the Evil Roy, most of the modifications on this model can be performed by anyone with a few screwdrivers and a little mechanical aptitude, except perhaps lightening the trigger. The only other major modification are the sights and a good machinist can open the rear sight groove in about 10 minutes. The wide front sight is available from VTI, Midway, and Brownells and would probably cost half of what you paid in freight to install.

35W

Harles Dawson
11-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Totally agree about stuff happening sometimes. The test of quality is standing behind the product or weaseling around about it. Harles

brad925
12-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks kenn. Was looking at one for CFD but I think I will just get a pieta and get it tuned instead. $125 for the tune job plus the cost of the gun I probably still come out ahead. That is one less they will sell.

kenn
12-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Don't let this be an indictment on all Uberti/Cimarron products. I've lost count of how many have passed through my hands and all of them have been of exceptional quality for the money.

I fully understand that one sample does not represent the maker. Customer service does, however. I have been advised the repair center (one person) is on vacation until Dec 16. Mine hasn't been repaired yet, so that's the earliest he/she will begin the work. At that point it will have been 2 months without a gun. Proper customer service, IMO, on a brand new firearm would have been for me to ship it back to them directly and send me out a new replacement. DOA and going through a multiple-month repair process is not within the realm of reasonable customer service.

Geezer in NH
12-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Buy on a Credit card and charge back as faulty/miss-advertised merchandise and no replacement/or settlement. YOU will get your money back.