PDA

View Full Version : sighta at the top

armednfree
10-01-2014, 05:45 PM
I loaded some 300 grain Lee .45 cal GC boolits over 22 grains of H110 and shot it in my Rossi 92. Decent shooting load, plenty accurate for deer and hits hard. Problem is that to get on at 50 yards the rear sight is all the way up. It's not that far up with lighter boolits, like my 214's at lower velocity.

Unusual?

Dan Cash
10-01-2014, 07:13 PM
When a gun is fired, recoil begins to raise the parrel of the gun. The faster the load, the less time the bullet spends in the barrel and the lower it shoots. Likely the load you are using is fast enough that the dwell dime in the barrel is less than a standard .45 Cold load. As a result, the bullet strikes low.

IDSS
10-02-2014, 01:19 PM
The good thing is that you can easily shorten the existing front sight to remedy a low point of impact. Much more easily than having to acquire and install a new sight.

I didn't have to do that on my .44, but I did remove the brass bead so the tip of the post is my new aiming point. Having done so, it would be easy to shorten the sight as needed.

Bullshop Junior
10-02-2014, 02:00 PM
I loaded some 300 grain Lee .45 cal GC boolits over 22 grains of H110 and shot it in my Rossi 92. Decent shooting load, plenty accurate for deer and hits hard. Problem is that to get on at 50 yards the rear sight is all the way up. It's not that far up with lighter boolits, like my 214's at lower velocity.

Unusual?

I had the 454 model and with that bullet, I had to grind a good deal off of the front sight to get it on target.