PDA

View Full Version : Belling Rifle Brass for Cast

5Shot
10-01-2014, 02:00 PM
What are you guys using? I use an M Die for Revolver and my 45-70, but need something for my 35 Whelen. If I go with an M Die, should I remove the expander button from the decapping rod (or use a smaller caliber assy)?

Wayne Smith
10-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Your expander button will expand your cases less than the M die does. It doesn't really matter.

5Shot
10-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks...although I do tend to turn the M Die down a bit for more grip when required.

williamwaco
10-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Your expander button will expand your cases less than the M die does. It doesn't really matter.

Ditto.

seaboltm
10-01-2014, 05:54 PM
I use the Lee Universal Expander die. Works on just about everything, and its cheap. Can use the darn thing as an arbor press on small jobs even.

nhrifle
10-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Lee Expander die for me too. Works great.

C. Latch
10-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I use needle-nosed pliers to expand my 30-30s.

Close jaws, stick nose in case, push down, twist twice, done. Next case.

gwpercle
10-01-2014, 07:08 PM
I got the Lee Universal Case expanding Die and discovered it works quite well. All it does is bells, so you can get a snug fit. I was having trouble with 9mm being being loose in the case. I size, then put a tiny bell on the case and the Lee 356-125-2R fits nice and snug.
The big thing I like is it's good for 22 through 45 cal. Still have several Lyman M dies but I wont need to buy any more with the Universal Lee on hand.
Gary

geargnasher
10-01-2014, 08:09 PM
If you're after long-range accuracy and need to maintain an exact, consistent, interference fit between case neck and bullet, you will need a dedicated neck expanding die. RCBS makes them and you can buy expanding/belling spuds exactly the size you need, which will be about .002" smaller than your sized bullet diameter.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?109572-RCBS-neck-expander-die

Gear

Cmm_3940
10-01-2014, 08:20 PM
+1 for the Lee expander die.

451whitworth
10-01-2014, 08:29 PM
If you're after long-range accuracy and need to maintain an exact, consistent, interference fit between case neck and bullet, you will need a dedicated neck expanding die. RCBS makes them and you can buy expanding/belling spuds exactly the size you need, which will be about .002" smaller than your sized bullet diameter.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?109572-RCBS-neck-expander-die

Gear
I agree with Geargnasher. Trying to stuff a .003-.004" over jacketed diameter cast bullet in a rifle case neck that was resized in a die set up for jacketed bullets and only flaring the mouth has never given me the long range accuracy that a RCBS dedicated die has. I usually custom make the expander plugs on my lathe .001" smaller than the cast bullet I'm loading.

r1kk1
10-01-2014, 09:04 PM
I agree with Geargnasher. Trying to stuff a .003-.004" over jacketed diameter cast bullet in a rifle case neck that was resized in a die set up for jacketed bullets and only flaring the mouth has never given me the long range accuracy that a RCBS dedicated die has. I usually custom make the expander plugs on my lathe .001" smaller than the cast bullet I'm loading.

I agree. I don't care for flaring dies. I'm waiting on my 1st RCBS expander due to what Gear has stated in the past.

Take care

r1kk1

rockshooter
10-02-2014, 12:33 AM
I prefer to use a small expander button, usually .22. This makes resizing much easier. Then the M die, then dedicated seater die, then Lee FCD to just kiss the case mouth.
Loren

C. Latch
10-02-2014, 07:34 AM
Trying to stuff a .003-.004" over jacketed diameter cast bullet in a rifle case neck that was resized in a die set up for jacketed bullets and only flaring the mouth has never given me the long range accuracy that a RCBS dedicated die has. I usually custom make the expander plugs on my lathe .001" smaller than the cast bullet I'm loading.

While I am by no means a long-range shooter, I should have added earlier that I use a .311 expander in my 30-30 dies before using the pliers to bell them. I size bullets to .311 and they seat firmly but easily. Accuracy, thus far, has been as good as I could expect from open sights.

GP100man
10-02-2014, 08:18 AM
I do an extra step, size, expand up to the step with a M die then flare slightly with the lee.

Does it help ?? it does if I use mixed brass with different thickness necks with low pressure loads .
But as pressure goes up I`ve found that it mattered more to seperate head stamps to have more consistent boolit pull.

My thinkin is it makes igniting the powder more consistent.

Expansion of the neck matters more with softer alloys , I`ve experienced boolit downsizing on COWW 13 bhn alloy in 06 mil-surp brass.

country gent
10-02-2014, 11:49 AM
I chamfer my brass with a vld angle chamfer tool and then have expanders made for the bullet /caliber that allow hand seating of the bullet. These have a very gradual epavder taper section at the top allowing for bullet to enter with out lead or lube being shaved off. I then use a bushing sizer to remove bell and just snug up around bullet.