PDA

View Full Version : Taper Crimp

Bob Smith
10-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Does anyone use a taper crimp die for BPCR silhouette shooting? I have a new Pedersoli Sharps in 45-70 and I'm new to BPCR. I thought I knew about everything reloading. Whole new deal with black powder. Thanks, Bob

country gent
10-01-2014, 01:25 PM
With the Sharps and single shots a crimp isnt as neccesary as the repeaters is. One round loaded and fired none taking several rounds of recoil to disloge bullet. A light neck tension on the bullet is ussually sufficent to make everything work very well. A taper crimp would make the expensive brass last longer than a roll crimp though. Some use the sizer die with decapper removed to snug up tension and remove any belling only partially entering the case far enough to accomplish what they want. OOnly bell cases enough to enter bullet easily and then seat bullet using crimp or sizing die to straighten bell out as needed.

Nobade
10-02-2014, 07:35 AM
I use a taper crimp die with my 45-70 paper patch ammo. The case isn't resized and I crimp the mouth just enough to keep the boolit from falling out. Need to get one for the 38-55 for the same reason...

-Nobade

Toymaker
10-06-2014, 08:52 AM
"Whole new deal with black powder"
So I'm guessing you're referring to your powder charge and not BPCR in general. If so, you do not want to crimp. Fire form your cases; clean, trim, chamfer and load. No sizing. Take a container of soapy water with you to a match and drop your cases in after shooting them. Consider annealing after 5 uses. A black powder cartridge is supposed to have a loose bullet. In fact, at some shoots I've seen match officials come down the line and check.
"I'm new to BPCR"
Oh, you're going to have so much fun. You know to use a blow tube or patch wipe after each shot? Don't be afraid of BP, I've actually found that cleaning is easier than with smokeless!!! It's more accurate too. Welcome, and enjoy!!

fouronesix
10-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Yes, you can taper crimp BP loads or any type load for that matter for similar single shot purposes and to take any flare or expansion out of the case neck. Usually a very light "swage" is all that is necessary or wanted. You can get a dedicated taper crimp die that can be set at a certain stop using the lock ring- all done for consistency and convenience. Or, for experimenting to see how it works, you can remove the decapping pin from your sizer and use it to lightly "taper crimp" the finished round. I use a universal decapper so I've removed the decapper from most of my sizers anyway.