PDA

View Full Version : Loctite for core bonding instead of flux?

tja6435
10-01-2014, 01:13 PM
What does everyone think? Would it be feasible to substitue one of the stronger loctite formulas in place of fluxing and cooking jacketed cores to bond them to the jacket?

That could save a few steps and quite a bit of time if it were possible and performed similar

EDG
10-01-2014, 02:53 PM
I don't think so.
Loctite has a 400 F melting point. It does not have the strength of a solder joint either.

Forgetful
10-01-2014, 02:57 PM
What if the core contained a few %'s of Bismuth, so that the lead expands to a tight fit inside the jacket?

tja6435
10-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Just seating the core into the jacket expands the core into the jacket. I was looking at bonding it chemically, as flux would do. I may be better of looking at canneluring the bullets to physically bond the core to the jacket.

Forgetful
10-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Just seating the core into the jacket expands the core into the jacket. I was looking at bonding it chemically, as flux would do. I may be better of looking at canneluring the bullets to physically bond the core to the jacket.

you mean mechanically? Since you're planning to skip the cooking/melting stage, epoxy might be a better solution. It's the best for bonding brass to other metals or glass.

marten
10-05-2014, 12:37 AM
Flux only cleans the surfaces no 'bonding' with it.

reed1911
10-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Let me ask, what caliber are you shooting? What thickness of jacket are you using? What are you thinking you need a bonded core for?

tja6435
10-06-2014, 11:48 AM
.458 caliber .035" jackets

tja6435
10-06-2014, 11:49 AM
you mean mechanically? Since you're planning to skip the cooking/melting stage, epoxy might be a better solution. It's the best for bonding brass to other metals or glass.

Not planning on anything yet, just asking if possible to possibly save some time and $ on my project

reed1911
10-06-2014, 02:13 PM
How fast are you planning on pushing them? To be honest, unless you are running a large magnum you should not need to bond them. If you want to, well that is something different. I've played with bonding some, and yes it is a bit tedious, often it is easier to just move up to a thicker jacket if you need to reduce the expansion. Now, what bonding will do is allow for a thinner jacket to hold better, which if you are running a wide velocity range between several cartridges, it cuts down on making several different bullets for each, but it has never been something I needed.

Grump
10-08-2014, 01:49 AM
There *is* hi-temp Loc-Tite. Last stuff I saw was white.

But being merely an adhesive, I would expect it to break loose far, far easier on impact than a true bonded core would.

Try it and do some paraffin and Fackler box (water) testing. My (educated/informed on glue goos in other settings) suspicions about the performance prove nothing.

aaronraad
10-09-2014, 01:27 AM
At your own risk:

Zinc ammonium chloride (ZAC) solution (or other solution fluxing salts given a bit of R&D).
High temperature, high pressure bonding/sealing agents.
HVAC Super Pro
Copper-bond (see 2Pac isn't dead).

Bonding has never appealed to me, never felt the need to swage mushrooms. ;)

I see lack of penetration as the issue, not separation.

If I did want to finish with a mushroom though I would start by swaging a mushroom.

Technically, I think you would call that reverse deep drawing, but it's not like I'm going to patent it anyway.:neutral:

http://youtu.be/Wd7X9HWtsiA

Multigunner
10-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Didn't they add antimony to the lead cores of .30-06 FMJ bullets to avoid core blow outs when bores became eroded?
Later when they switched to cooler burning propellants they dropped the antimony and the bullet weight went from 150 gr to 152 gr due to the different alloy of the core.

Pink_Vapor
11-08-2014, 03:01 PM
What does everyone think? Would it be feasible to substitue one of the stronger loctite formulas in place of fluxing and cooking jacketed cores to bond them to the jacket?
NOOOOOO, there are some impressive LocTite compounds, the thin adhesive 290 I use the most for bolts. If you put this in a case then swage it, some is going to get squeezed (squozed that is) out into your die and lock it up.

5Shot
11-08-2014, 03:07 PM
NOOOOOO, there are some impressive LocTite compounds, the thin adhesive 290 I use the most for bolts. If you put this in a case then swage it, some is going to get squeezed (squozed that is) out into your die and lock it up.

True, and Loctite compounds are material specific. I doubt any of them work with lead. Even brass/copper might be an issue.

firefly1957
11-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Best thing someone told you is do not let it squeeze into your dies it will cause trouble for you. I did some eperiments with plastic tips in .224 bullets and had the weep hole blocked that way . I note on that if you were interested the best plastic i found was a small amount of WW AA case it formed under pressure well and held shape . Shooting was another story they shot poorly but that may have been my process.