PDA

View Full Version : McAfee is a joke!

hanleyfan
09-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Well I spent most of the day getting my computer up and running after My virus protection by McAfee let a virus in and it locked me out of the web. I can not believe people are paying for this worthless service, the only reason I have it on mine is because it was on it when I bought it new from dell, any recommendation on a replacement virus protector for windows 8.1? I sure am not trusting McAfee anymore!

Freightman
09-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Wrong it is a VIRUS!
Microsoft Security Essentials works good for me if the new computer has Windows 8 or 8.1 it is there just turn it on.

txsnowman2k2
09-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Avast free or pay, been using it for years...tx

bandsmoyer
09-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Try, AVAST FREE, works great for me

ShooterAZ
09-29-2014, 04:23 PM
McAfee truly is a joke, I agree. After getting two virus (trojans) through their antivirus I switched to Norton. Never had a problem since.

Cmm_3940
09-29-2014, 04:34 PM
You nailed it, McAfee is worse than a joke, it is a malicious program. Norton is no better, but some people find it less invasive. Try Avast!, Kaspersky, or my favorite, MSSE.

garym1a2
09-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials

You nailed it, McAfee is worse than a joke, it is a malicious program. Norton is no better, but some people find it less invasive. Try Avast!, Kaspersky, or my favorite, MSSE.

Ed Barrett
09-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Wrong it is a VIRUS!
Microsoft Security Essentials works good for me if the new computer has Windows 8 or 8.1 it is there just turn it on.
After trying several over the years, I have found the Microsoft Security for windows 8.X works best. As long as you keep it updated.

jmort
09-29-2014, 05:27 PM
For the $$$, I have enjoyed Microsoft Security Essentials. It is pretty weak but the price is right. I tend to agree with PC Magazine reviews and here are the reviews:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

After reading the reviews, I think I may go with the free version of Panda Security or Bitdefender.

blademasterii
09-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Been using shield delux for many years. Runs 65 a year for 3 computers and works great.

DeputyDog25
09-29-2014, 06:15 PM
I have been using Trend Micro for many years and have always had excellent protection and service from them, they always send updates in a timely manner and I have never had a problem with my computer or any virus while using them.

Sig
09-29-2014, 06:31 PM
I've used many of them. Hated McAfee & Norton the most as they seemed to hog system resources. Bitdefender was good but they wanted too much for the renewal. Using ESET now for about a year & very pleased. I typically read a bunch of current reviews prior to choosing a new one.

wills
09-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Kaspersky.

Dannix
09-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Whatever antivirus you go with, make sure you install an antimalware tool as well e.g. Malwarebytes (which is free for personal use). (Unless you pay for a 'suite' of tools.)

waksupi
09-29-2014, 08:55 PM
I upgraded the Malawarebytes, I think it was $24 a year. Works great. Auto updates, and catches things immediately before they get on the computer. I've even had a couple things nabbed while on here. Works good for a guy who would forget to run a scan regularly.

jason f
09-29-2014, 09:03 PM
get a chromebook. no antivirus software needed at all. cheper than a laptop to.

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/chromebook

seagiant
09-29-2014, 09:28 PM
Hi,
Ha! Got tired of all that virus hocus pocus! I think the ANTI virus companys make the virus themselves to sale their products anyway! Sorry never was a trusting soul!

Went to Linux Ubuntu and never looked back!

RayinNH
09-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Hi,
Ha! Got tired of all that virus hocus pocus! I think the ANTI virus companys make the virus themselves to sale their products anyway! Sorry never was a trusting soul!

Same here.

wyrmzr
09-29-2014, 10:40 PM
For the times I run Windows, it's Avast, or Bitdefender. The Microsoft Security Essentials software, unless it's been changed SIGNIFICANTLY over the last couple of years, is questionable. The reason I say that is that Microsoft at one point bought an anti-spyware company, and shortly thereafter, bought another company that had previously made spyware. Shortly after the second acquisition, the spyware company's software was no longer detected by Micro$oft's anti-spyware program. Not even the old version.
Your best bets for not getting a virus include not using Internet Explorer (it took them 10 years to fix a bug in IE, and even then they didn't fix it until the NSA issued an alert recommending people not use IE), and don't ever use file sharing software (remember the days of BearShare? That company was sued out of existence, and then sold to a company who installed malware via an "update". This has happened to many other file sharing companies, and it's not coincidental. The MPAA and RIAA seem to intentionally sell domains they've acquired to malware makers).

Garyshome
09-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials

MaryB
09-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Avast is good. If you remove Norton or McAfee download a removal tool to get all of it. Both leave stuff all over the drive in odd spots

Merc41
09-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Have tried them all myself. Kaspersky rocks, hands down.

ksfowler166
09-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Agreed go with Kaspersky.

SharpsShooter
09-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Avg

ss

1lonewolf75
09-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Have to use McAfee due to the virtual school. Tried without it n school didn't work. Was usin a d use at work the avast never had a problem with it. Have the malaware bytes free run a scan almost daily on it.

skeet1
09-30-2014, 02:24 PM
I like either AVG or Avast! Both are free and work well. Along with these I also would recommend Malwarebytes Anti Malware this is not free but for a one time fee of $24.95 you will be amazed and surprised how much junk it stops.

Ken

Forgetful
09-30-2014, 02:32 PM
There are three rules to surfing the net...

1) a free antivirus. You don't need anything beyond this, and all of them will use the free AV to package a bunch of garbage you don't need but they'll sell to you anyway. I use "AVG Free." Pay close attention during the installation of any software, they may try to bundle browser addons and such, you don't need any of that at all and it just clutters your machine and eats resources.

2) become a little bit savvy about how to use the net safely. Mouse hold-over links (in emails and websites) to ensure you're not changing domains. "yourbank.com" and "yourbank.somethingelse.com" are different domains and probably funds a script kiddie halfway around the world. Beware of legit-looking emails that try to get you to login to do something, because it's easy to copy such a page on your own domain and trick people into logging in, and then redirect them to the actual domain so they believe they didn't log in correctly. Meanwhile, some punk has your creds now.

3) review other documents on the net about how to safely use the net

Moonie
09-30-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm a UNIX/Linux SA and generally run Linux on my home machines, when I have to use windows I use AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials.

firefly1957
09-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Macafee is like others said a virus so is Norton I liked Zone alarm and am now using a pay version of AVG it seems to work real well .

Uncle Jimbo
09-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Hi,

If I was told I would dump windows 2 years ago, I would have called you crazy. WIll I did and went to Linux Ubuntu also. No more problems.
[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Ehaver
09-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Avast!

I have used it for YEARS. Always free. Always works.

Forgetful
10-01-2014, 09:18 AM
If I was told I would dump windows 2 years ago, I would have called you crazy. WIll I did and went to Linux Ubuntu also. No more problems.
[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Linux is increasingly becoming a viable option for average users. If all you do is office-type documents and surf the web, linux is ideal. And compared to the price of Windows 7 or 8, you can buy a new computer from parts super inexpensively (the more inexpensive the machine, the greater portion of the cost goes to Windows OS) and install linux and never need to upgrade for years.

seagiant
10-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Hi,
I just bought a new HP laptop and dumped the windows and installed the new Ubuntu 14.04LTS edition and I'm happy. No virus, no wierd programs trying to download something on my computer all the time. I could never go back to the agravation of Windows again. If I have a problem with something on Ubuntu there is a whole forum of people to help! Oh! It's also FREE!!!

RayinNH
10-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Hi,
I just bought a new HP laptop and dumped the windows and installed the new Ubuntu 14.04LTS edition and I'm happy. No virus, no wierd programs trying to download something on my computer all the time. I could never go back to the agravation of Windows again. If I have a problem with something on Ubuntu there is a whole forum of people to help! Oh! It's also FREE!!!

Smart move seagiant. You might have saved a bit by buying a computer with Linux pre-installed. Part of your computer cost was for Windblows.

BethelHntr
10-01-2014, 03:51 PM
I have been using free avira for years, I happened to find it reading consumer reports while waiting for a doctor visit. It ranked top of the free antivirus.

Jungle867
10-01-2014, 04:01 PM
X2. I have used the pay and free versions for many years, I highly recommend it.

Avast free or pay, been using it for years...tx

John Allen
10-01-2014, 04:05 PM
I use AVG and have been happy with it, plus it is free.

seagiant
10-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Smart move seagiant. You might have saved a bit by buying a computer with Linux pre-installed. Part of your computer cost was for Windblows.

Hi,
I actually looked into that, but the computer I wanted was not available like that! I'm content and would rather get rid of Windows than put up with all the BS! Ubuntu is FREE anyway, as is the help if you need it!

Hasta La Vista, BILL!

MaryB
10-02-2014, 12:39 AM
Linux is great until you run into programs that will not run under it(not even in the windows emulator). My laser engraver software is one.

Ajax
10-02-2014, 05:57 AM
I do a dual boot for that reason Mary. I select at start up either windows or Linux.

Andy

MrWolf
10-02-2014, 06:23 AM
+1 for Kaspersky

alamogunr
10-02-2014, 08:18 AM
I've used AVG for several years, both free and pay. Moved to a new computer last month and the guy who set it up(computer guru at local school) transferred it from old computer. He is the one who put the free version on the previous computer. He also removed the McAfee trial version from the new computer.

MaryB
10-03-2014, 02:40 AM
I did that for awhile but found myself using windows more than linux so deleted it.

I do a dual boot for that reason Mary. I select at start up either windows or Linux.

Andy

Forgetful
10-03-2014, 09:09 AM
I did that for awhile but found myself using windows more than linux so deleted it.

It's easy to stay in the booted OS unless you "need" to switch.. The reason for having dualboot is to do everything in Linux and then switch over for the one or few things you need Windows for that won't run under Wine. Personally, having Linux as your main OS and then use something like VMWare to host a virtual Windows machine inside a window is the way to go. Through VMWare you can easily set it up to listen for VNC client connection requests and anyone on your network can do what they need on windows remotely. Some video files that don't easily run in linux can run with some tweaking. Games are another story but console-based gaming has been taking over anyway. All the crazy stuff I can do in MS Office with a programming interface (via DLL's I can write, and VBA) can also be done in free Open Office. Some minor differences there but OO can definitely support a business environment with a small learning curve.