PDA

View Full Version : The journey continues

country gent
09-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Went to a local Shilouettes match Sunday and had a great day. This is a short range match with scaled down targets for the a couple targets but is a lot of fun and seems to match with the full range that also has shillouette matches in the area. Took my CPA in 40-65 with the new load using Old Ensford 2f powder. This load is Starline cases primer pockets uniformed and flash holes deburred chafered with a luman vld tool. Rem 9 1/2 primers hand seated, 56 grns Old Ensford 2 f powder compressed to +.010 seating depth of bullet, Bullet is Nasa 400 grn from an Old West mould cast from 20-1 alloy hand seated and final seated last .010 with die. The chickens at 100 yds I wasnt steady and only got 3 of them offhand. 200 yd chickens from the sticks sitting was better ( working with a new malcom scope I messed up reading the scale and had a few extra sighters finding the chickens) I got 8 chickens here. We moved back to 300 yds and shot the pigs, set scope interpolating zero from old scope to new and 2 sighters was centered on pigs, got 8 pigs. Turkeys here are scaled for 300 yds and I got 8 turkeys also. Moved back to 400 yds for the scaled Rams 1st shot hit solid so went for record and first 9 rams rang and swung hard. 10th ram fadded due to light and I tried a hail mary shot ( should have came of rifle and rested eyes and got breathing back under control) for the only miss here. These are all swinging targets and you shoot 1 target 10 times. On most targets the splatters from bullet strikes were overlapping, Partly why the ram fadded into the backstop big grey area right in the middle from previous 9 hits. Was a great day and my high score to date. Rifle is a shilouette model in 40-65 with 30" tapered octagon barrel, set triggers, MVA malcomn scope with creedmoor mounts I ended up the day with a 36 for the day. It was a beautiful day bright and clear just enough breeze to keep mirage running and not boiling not enough to greatly affect bullets flight. Good friends and solid competition lunch with friends after the match. What a Great day it turned out to be.

Lead pot
09-29-2014, 02:20 PM
CG.

I just talked to Gail this morning and confirming the wood I ordered. After seeing Don's long range rifle and hearing the problem he is having shooting low enough I wanted to make sure the silhouette wood would let me do this. Gail said that the comb was 3/4" below the bore line and a tang sight will work just fine. She said that the long range comb was higher.
You say you have a scope on yours. Have you ever had a tang sight on your rifle? and if so did it lay flat enough that you can use a stiff cleaning rod to clean the rifle with out having to take the sight off?
She didn't say when my rifle will be done, but it should be real soon.

Kurt

country gent
09-29-2014, 02:55 PM
I have the mid range MVA tang on min with a Hadley standard eye cup for mine also and I use a flexible rod and quide ( made from a fired case) for cleaning. my solid heavy dewy rod rubs on the hammer spur if the hammer isnt cocked. My Dewey rod is the heavy one at .312 dia coated. I dont think it would clear the sight folded down though. It would be very close. My rifle is a tack driver and even with the softer 20-1 alloy Ive never had any real leading issues. Mine has only seen Black Powder and cast grease groove bullets so far. Rifle turns heads when it comes out of the case and again when targets start ringing. I opted for the fancy grade wood on mine and Paul and Gail did beautiful work on it. The quality and craftsmanship are evident through out the rifle. From Looks fit and finish, to the way it shoots to balance and feel.

GOPHER SLAYER
09-29-2014, 03:25 PM
gent, that would be a great match to attend. I wish I could. I have the equipment but no place to shoot that has any kind of a match, much less black powder.

country gent
09-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Its a great little local match, alot of great guys, solid competition ( believe me there are no gimmies in the placing my 36 was good for forth and 41 was first) a little more laid back and a slower place than high power. There are 2 clubs here doing these BPCR shillouette matches locally and both are great. The swingers are easier to shoot on as a wiggle and ring is a hit. No misses because the target didnt fall. Pretty much the only real requirement is cast bullets as some shoot smokeless duplication of black powder some shoot black powder 1 or 2 shoot the substitutes. There was one shooting a ruger lyman centenial Number 1. One an old winchester lever in 40-65 several sharps several high walls my CPA Stevens and a rolling block. Its a lot of fun.

Don McDowell
09-29-2014, 04:45 PM
CG sounds like a grand day for sure.

bigted
09-29-2014, 04:49 PM
my goodness ... sounds like a blast [yep pun intended...LOL].

i have opportunity to join a club here but will have to wait for the expense of the initiation till i get sorta healed from the move. if they do not have a sport like what you describe ... maybe ill pick your brain to get more details for a suggestion here ... it sounds like a grand time.

Lead pot
09-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Thank you C.G
I like the high comb so I can do away with the raised leather add on comb. but I still need it low enough so I can wipe the bore if I need too.

country gent
09-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Don it is a very enjoyable day for me, but with out the friends that help me out Id be done. U go to these matches with a friend I have known for many years and with my mobility issues he helps move my gear for me and also pulls an extra trip to paint hang targets. But hes also 6'6 and 300 lbs so he makes one trip the one to hang the rams. Hes a great guy.Big Ted its a shallow well there but Ill give all the help I can offer. My local club that I do belong to has a rule against steel or reaction targets so were out Lead Pot, I know it is a big plus to be able to wipe or clean with the sight in place even if its just between stages/relays. I fired 20 rounds in one string Sunday with out cleaning and accuracy stayed the same I did blow tube between shots though. 3 long breaths. Another thing is to drinkseveral swallows of water before the string so there is plenty of moisture in the breaths. Ill bet a dollar to a donut your going to be very happy with the rifle, when is it due to be delivered?

Lead pot
09-29-2014, 09:34 PM
Thank you C G
Keeping Hydrated is important for controlling the fouling and your eye sight on hot days.
I take a swallow after every shot when it's hot to keep the fouling under control and myself :-D

Jon K
10-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Kurt,

I have no problem wiping my CPA w/silhouette stock, using Tipton carbon fibre rod, or 3/8" Delrin rod, or 3/16 ss cleaning rod over a Baldwin LR Tang. It does barely rubs the sight, but depends how you push the rod. But it won't bind up.

Hope this helps,
Jon

Don McDowell
10-02-2014, 06:38 PM
I don't have any problem using the delrin rod to wipe this long range model.

Lead pot
10-02-2014, 09:16 PM
TNX. Jon.

I heard from Gail today and she said come on and pick it up :-D So I will find out what it will be like.
Have to visit the saw bones next Wednesday and then I can take a run out east and pick it up.
Got some ammo loaded for it and maybe I can find a place to try it out before I head back home.

country gent
10-03-2014, 12:45 AM
Your going to like it. When mine came in we unboxed it and assembled it at the LGS MY gunsmith and his son and I wanted to make sure no shipping damage and In all honesty couldnt wait to see it. Before we were finished we had a small crowd admiring it. They draw attention when done up. I opted for fancy walnut on mine just because.

bigted
10-03-2014, 09:27 PM
just as with the shiloh's and c-sharps and others ... pictures men ... pictures.

Lead pot
10-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Ted

I opted to get this rifle with out the wood being finished so I have a little work to do on it, but it will be hard for me not to put a few rounds through it before I get it done.
Heck, the last Hawken I build in the 80's still aint finished. I never did brown the barrel. I'm still hoping nature will brown it:)