PDA

View Full Version : Lyman has goofed in their 8mm mold

bhp9
02-03-2008, 07:50 AM
A few years ago I wanted to speed up casting production so I decided to buy a Lyman 2 cavity 8mm mold (the old 160 grain Lovern style). I believe this is the only 8mm mold Lyman still makes. I had been using a Lyman Lovern single cavity mold previously.

Much to my horror I discovered that Lyman had either changed the design or had goofed in making the mold as all the drive bands where the same diameter preventing me from seating the bullet within the case neck and not down into the powder charge. When seating the bullet out properly it would jam itself into the rifling. The cure was to size the two from drive bands to .321 by turning the bullet upside down and using a .321 sizing die to size down only the top too bands, the rest of the bullet was sized to .325.

I called Lyman and told them about the problem and at first they did not believe me until I told them about the much older single cavity mold I had. They then admitted they had actually lost the original blueprints for this mold ( no wonder they were making it wrong).

Recently I ran across a fabulous deal on an original Saeco 8mm mold in 190 grain weight. So far I have only been able to test it in my 8x52 Siamese Mauser but not yet in my various 8x57 guns, but in the Siamese it was outstandingly accurate.

Its amazing how expensive molds have become in recent years as I almost fell off my chair when I looked up the price of a brand new Saeco mold with handles topping out at over 100 dollars on the wholesale level. I got this mold for way less as it was used but almost in brand new condition. I feeds better out of the magazine than the Lyman Lovern bullet as well

dmftoy1
02-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks for pointing this out . . . .I've been considering casting for my 8mm's and researching which mold and it was down to those two . ..I guess you've just made my decision for me!

Char-Gar
02-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Lyman has been making molds for so long, they figure they can do it with their corporate bain switch in the "off" position.

NVcurmudgeon
02-03-2008, 10:28 AM
There was a discussion a few years ago about how much variation there can be in examples of the same numbered mould produced over a long time. It started with three of us comparing notes on five individual 311291 moulds. The five moulds were of three variations on the same design. I believe the conclusion reached was that cherries for making moulds can come from dfferent vendors.

Steelbanger
02-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Variation, you say?
I've got two 429421 moulds, both 4 cavity, and the older one has a round-bottom lube groove and the newer has a square-bottomed lube groove with slightly different groove placement. I have these from my early casting days and didn't discover the difference until I had about 2,000 of them mixed in one box! Can you say eye strain? Up to that point I trusted the manufacturer to make identical products. That trust is gone.
Oh, by the way, the first 4 cavity cost me $21.95, handles and all.

mroliver77
02-03-2008, 01:10 PM
There was a discussion a few years ago about how much variation there can be in examples of the same numbered mould produced over a long time. It started with three of us comparing notes on five individual 311291 moulds. The five moulds were of three variations on the same design. I believe the conclusion reached was that cherries for making moulds can come from dfferent vendors.

I remember that being talked about and decided then that custom top punches were also necesary. I had wondered why some would leave very ugly rings on the boolits and when you'all were comparing the diferences in your boolits a light came on.(dim, but on)
J

fatnhappy
02-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Lyman has been making molds for so long, they figure they can do it with their corporate bain switch in the "off" position.

which explains the lack of 4 cavity rifle moulds and the dearth of designs we want, like the 358009 or .30 cal loverins.

Slowpoke
02-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Wasn't it Aladdin that always wrote Lie-man instead of Lyman.

Lyman moulds are kinda like Forest Gumps box of Chocolates .

Good luck