PDA

View Full Version : Range report on Handi rifle 45/70!

koger
09-28-2014, 08:35 PM
I came across a guy needing money back in cold weather, bought a as new Handi rifle-45/70, 24" barrel, extractor,syn stock and steel rings, cheap scope for $200, included a box of ammo, federal fusion. I shortened the stock to fit me, which had on a pretty soft factory recoil pad, fitted it too. Slicked the trigger up, sold the cheap scope and put on a Nikon 2x7 shotgun scope. 8 shots and zeroe'd at 100, just a tad high with the 300gr HP. I shot a 3 shot group, kicked pretty stout off the bench, but was a cloverleaf with all 3 holes touching! Tried it again and same result, just a little sliver of paper between the holes, due to me dreading the recoil. I then shot some pop cans at 100yd, off hand, 3 for 5 and shot a 3 shot offhand at 50yds, just over an inch group!! I shot some of my 405 cast loads, 3031 for powder, under an inch for 3 shot groups at 100!!I am one happy camper, this is my second Handi 45/70 that shoots this good, the other wears pallet wood and iron sights, have did load work up with a scope on it. I will be hunting with this gun, deer and bear in some thick stuff here in KY this fall, most shots will be 50yds and under. Light and easy to carry and handle too. Just thought I would share!

1989toddm
09-29-2014, 12:50 AM
Sounds like a dream! I am working on getting my first Handi. Absolutely love shooting 45-70.

GhostHawk
09-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Cool story and a nice gun but way more KICK than I want at this stage of my life.

My first Handi should be showing up any day now, .223 with scope so both my wife and I can enjoy it.
Thinking hard on adding 38spcl/357 as a second barrel. Sure seems like once you have one you enjoy it.

Enough power to punch through anything I'm likely to run into without so much recoil. :)

Still the story's of accuracy out of the box are always comforting when your waiting on a new gun and its first trip to the range.

Texas Tinker
09-29-2014, 08:42 AM
I aquired an older Handi "Shirkari" in 45/70 a little over 2 years ago as part of a multi gun trade. I was afraid of the little rifles strength and was intending to re-trade it. Then I tried it out. The first thing that I learned was that loads light enough to be plenty safe in this little gun are plenty heavy enough for me :) The second thing I found out was that "This little gun can shoot" I have put together loads with my 405 gr FP Bullits pushed by Unique, 3031 and Varget and when I get between 1200 - 1300 FPS I have a very accurate load that is about all I care to shoot on my end and so far has had only DRT (Dead Right There) performance on the Deer or Pig that I was aiming at.

FLHTC
09-29-2014, 09:50 AM
An excellent deal. You already sold the scope, and the ammo can deduct another $20. Anything in trapdoor loads will be fine for deer sized game, and without that pounding recoil so many are afraid of. I have a 457401, which is a 195 grain semi wad cutter and it is a screamer with a snap, as opposed to the mule kick. There are a lot of 457 molds out there that make the 45-70 mild to wild.

dlbarr
09-29-2014, 06:42 PM
In terms of the kick, a decent recoil pad can tame the harshness of some pretty stout 45/70 loads. I had a Kick-Eez installed on mine several years ago and it cured all but one load's wallop. I don't shoot that load anymore.

But you are right, there's plenty of pop out of moderate loads for nearly all the hunting that most of us do.

BTW, that was a great deal you got there.

09-29-2014, 07:23 PM
You got a great rifle there. Anything from a .457 roundball with 9 grs. of Unique to some of those retina tearing monster loads with the 535 cast boolits. The Handi will handle more than you'll care to shoot.

seaboltm
09-29-2014, 07:28 PM
I have a slip on Kick-eez that I use for my 1895 Marlin. It helps, a lot.

koger
09-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Todd like you and the rest of these fellers, love the 45/70. I took my only elk, 6x6 and #300 black bear with a Marling guide gun, 45/70, ported with my home rolled 300gr HP and 405 gr J loads! I shot thru the bull going away, nearly getting across a property line, went thru 9 inches of pelvis, vitals, broke his neck and exited at 200yds! I took both lungs out of the bear at 40yds, still ran 60 yds and crashed! I have taken several deer, one day on a farm cull, deer were destroying his alfalfa field, I shot 3 in less than one minute, with the 325 grain FTX, man that bullet did a number, all drt! Burger, loins and jerky was made in abundance, could only kill does to thin the herd, man were they fat and tasty!

Nrut
09-30-2014, 11:20 AM
I came across a guy needing money back in cold weather, bought a as new Handi rifle-45/70, 24" barrel, extractor,syn stock and steel rings, cheap scope for $200, included a box of ammo, federal fusion. I shortened the stock to fit me, which had on a pretty soft factory recoil pad, fitted it too. Slicked the trigger up, sold the cheap scope and put on a Nikon 2x7 shotgun scope. 8 shots and zeroe'd at 100, just a tad high with the 300gr HP. I shot a 3 shot group, kicked pretty stout off the bench, but was a cloverleaf with all 3 holes touching! Tried it again and same result, just a little sliver of paper between the holes, due to me dreading the recoil. I then shot some pop cans at 100yd, off hand, 3 for 5 and shot a 3 shot offhand at 50yds, just over an inch group!!

I shot some of my 405 cast loads, 3031 for powder, under an inch for 3 shot groups at 100!!

I am one happy camper, this is my second Handi 45/70 that shoots this good, the other wears pallet wood and iron sights, have did load work up with a scope on it. I will be hunting with this gun, deer and bear in some thick stuff here in KY this fall, most shots will be 50yds and under. Light and easy to carry and handle too. Just thought I would share!
Very impressive!!
Would like to try your 405 cast / 3031 load in my H&R BC 45-70 and Ruger #3..
How much 3031 are you using in that load?
What velocity are you getting with this load?

What are your bullet particulars?
Alloy?
WD or AC?
Size?
Lube?

Loading particulars?
Full length size your case?
Expander size?
Crimp and if so rolled, tapered, or profile?

bubba.50
09-30-2014, 02:21 PM
changin' the stock on my buffalo classic to one with a pad & puttin' a piece of lead-filled 3/4in copper pipe in the stockbolt hole really tamed it down.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-30-2014, 03:44 PM
I had a SB1 frame as a 50 cal muzzle loader but had to fill out a 4473 for it back when I bought it because it could be a shotgun , then they said 357 and 44 could go on a sb1 receiver a few years ago I had been thinking on it for a while , so i pulled the trigger , I called them up today and got the ball rolling ordered a 357 and a 44 if I am going to send it in I might as well have both for 104.03 each

wgr
09-30-2014, 06:43 PM
the trapdoor level loads will kill anything in north America. and not kick your head off

Mike in TX
09-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Tried a new load for my Handi 45-70. Several of us are working up a load for a young girl to use for deer season. The blind has a 65 yard or so range. A very accurate load was 12.5 grains of Trail Boss under 405 grn cast. Now to try it with 300 grn cast. As for today, 8 shots in less than an inch at 50 yards. Love my Handis.

Catshooter
10-02-2014, 03:53 AM
My Handi 45-70 shoots the same way. I've loaded up some 500 grain boolits over ten grains of Universal Clays that were just enough for new shooters. Not enough to hurt them, but enough to really knock the snot out of the steel!

Wait'll you pull up to the range and you outshoot the man next to you. Him and his $1,000 rifle and $2,000 scope! Boy do they slink away.

Cat

Texantothecore
10-02-2014, 10:31 AM
My Handi 45-70 shoots the same way. I've loaded up some 500 grain boolits over ten grains of Universal Clays that were just enough for new shooters. Not enough to hurt them, but enough to really knock the snot out of the steel!

Wait'll you pull up to the range and you outshoot the man next to you. Him and his $1,000 rifle and $2,000 scope! Boy do they slink away.

Cat

Yes they do slink away. One of the entertainment factors of the handi rifle.

Nrut
10-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Very impressive!!
Would like to try your 405 cast / 3031 load in my H&R BC 45-70 and Ruger #3..
How much 3031 are you using in that load?
What velocity are you getting with this load?

What are your bullet particulars?
Alloy?
WD or AC?
Size?
Lube?

Loading particulars?
Primers?
Full length size your case?
Expander size?
Crimp and if so rolled, tapered, or profile?
koger,
Don't be shy..

Post your load..

As you can see many here including myself have Handis and Buffalo Classics..
If we could get under MOA like you are getting or even MOA right out of the gate it would save us all a bunch of lead and powder sent downrange needlessly..

Awaiting your reply..
Thanks!!!