PDA

View Full Version : Lee alignment pin lost on 2nd casting session

bigmike13
09-28-2014, 12:55 PM
It's probably heading back to lee but my front alignment pin on my new style 2cav popped out on my second casting session with it, anyone else have this issue

Dusty Bannister
09-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Did you heat cycle it 2-3 times before casting?

MT Chambers
09-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Luckily most of the Lee stuff will float on top of your melt.

Dennis Eugene
09-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Who cares if it was heat cycled 3 or 4 times before casting? There is no reason for it to lose the alignment pin. Send it back have them make it right. Dennis

OptimusPanda
09-28-2014, 07:23 PM
I had a 2 cavity lee mold where both alignment pins would drift back and forth when up to temp. Called lee and the man I spoke with seemed to suggest that operator error was somehow to blame (unlikely considering my other lee molds don't do that). He went on about how they use a "big hydraulic press to press those pins in and how you cant loosen them without abusing the mold....". If you can find that pin you could stake it in place thats what I did.

bangerjim
09-28-2014, 07:24 PM
I do NOT ever heat cycle any molds. They get plenty of cycling during casting!!!!!

I have NEVER lost a pin. Contact Lee & send it back to them.

bangerjim

btroj
09-28-2014, 07:37 PM
I don't heat cycle them. I have had lots of alignment pins walk out over time in Lee moulds. I tend to drive em back in and stake the heck out of em.

Second casting session? Send it back, it was never right from the get go.

Dusty Bannister
09-28-2014, 08:51 PM
I think perhaps Gear knows what he is talking about in post #3 in the following link.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?211347-Breaking-in-a-new-mould

Just putting it out there. You can use it or ignore it.

bedbugbilly
09-29-2014, 09:39 AM
I reload with Lee stuff and have used Lee molds for many years with no real issues to complain about. That said, earlier this summer I purchased three Lee molds and some other needed items through one of the vendors who sponsor this site - they've always given excellent service and I have no complaints with the vendor - they are good people.

One of the molds was the Lee 2 cavity 358-120 RF. It was literally a piece of #$^%&. The handle pivot bolt was barely tightened and the alignment pin furthest from the handles was not even pressed in to where it would engage the opposite alignment hole. On top of it, when the blocks were put together so all edges were even, both cavities were misaligned. So. . . .

Long story short - I contacted the vendor who ask me to take photos - I sent photos to vendor who in turn sent them to Lee. I pretty much got the same response . . . "it was my fault" and I didn't use it correctly - hmmmm, I've been casting for 50 years and using Lee molds for many of those years in addition to other makes. They instructed the vendor to have me return it (on my dime) so they could correct it. Really? The mold cost $20.00 plus the shipping and I'm going to pay return shipping so Lee can correct what should have been right from the get go. I refused to "play that game" and sent a message to the vendor to pass on to Lee that they had just lost a "dedicated customer" (Lee had my e-mail address and never bothered to contact me(). The vendor offered to replace it themselves - I refused as it was not their fault and they should not have to "eat" Lee's mistake. I was in business for my entire working life and I know the games that some manufacturers "play". I have it sitting on my bench to remind me to look elsewhere for molds.

Again, I have no problems with the vendor - they are good folks and went out of their way to
square things" with me. I really don't know what the issue is with some of the problems with the Lee molds but the one I received should never have made it past quality control. I don't know if they are "out sourcing" them or what and quite frankly, I don't care. When you purchase a new item, it should work from the "get go" regardless if it is a $20 mold or a $120 mold. If there is a quality problem - it should be either fixed or replaced on the manufacturer's dime - not the customer's. Problems can happen with any manufactured product but it is not right to put the blame on the customer unless it is clearly their fault.

Am I bad mouthing Lee . . . yea, I probably am. I'm not saying that I won't buy other Lee items as I do like their dies and I load on their classic 4 hole turret. Let's just say that I was extremely "disappointed" in the way the mold problem was handled by them and leave it at that.

zuke
09-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Send it back

ShooterAZ
09-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Don't feel bad, I had one fall out on the FIRST casting session. I got it from Midway, and they graciously replaced it right away.

boho
09-29-2014, 11:29 PM
I bought my 4th Lee mold in august a 356-125-2R. The alignment pin farthest from the handles moved during the 2nd casting session. I sent it back and they replaced it. The replacement failed also, same pin 1st casting session. They replaced the blocks. Hopefully the 3rd time will be a charm! Haven't tried it yet. Never had a problem with my 1st 3 molds.