PDA

View Full Version : Specialty .500 S&W bullet data needed.

wonderwolf
09-27-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm working on a groundhog load for inside buildings, 65gr Teflon bullet TCHP in my JR .500 S&W I've done teflon in .45LC and .44mag but never the .500 S&W, its kind of like a wax bullet I guess. 10Gr of unique work ok you guys think? or should I go with something like 5gr bullseye? Should I use a little dacron filler or no? The bullet is the same length as a 400ish gr .500 bullet. I have a good size box full of them after setting up my jig on the lathe, they are all very consistent.....cabbage testing will begin tomorrow. I'm just starting to load for my .500 and looking for cast load data as well, mostly using unique if anybody has some...most of my books have little to no data, already have the John ross data....117543

dubber123
09-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Big case with a very light boolit, I don't think Unique will work well. I personally would look for some Trailboss or Bullseye-ish powder. I don't think you can build enough pressure to make Unique burn consistently. I'd start at about 5 grains of Bullseye. Have fun. :)

wonderwolf
09-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Big case with a very light boolit, I don't think Unique will work well. I personally would look for some Trailboss or Bullseye-ish powder. I don't think you can build enough pressure to make Unique burn consistently. I'd start at about 5 grains of Bullseye. Have fun. :)

OK, I loaded the first 5 with 5gr of bullseye, I don't have trailboss and want to avoid adding another powder to the line up right now. I just stepped outside and tested a wax bullet with 5gr of bullseye and a dacron filler and the primer backed out of the case enough to tie up the gun.

dubber123
09-27-2014, 09:21 PM
You may have to make up a cylinder of dedicated brass with enlarged flash holes to prevent set back. I've never messed with any loads quite as light as you are going. Good luck.

wonderwolf
09-27-2014, 10:43 PM
You may have to make up a cylinder of dedicated brass with enlarged flash holes to prevent set back. I've never messed with any loads quite as light as you are going. Good luck.

Yeah, that was mentioned as well when I was discussing this with a friend tonight. If I go that route I may just chop some brass down to "Special" length 1.274" or whatever it is so as to identify that specific brass for that application.

dubber123
09-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Yeah, that was mentioned as well when I was discussing this with a friend tonight. If I go that route I may just chop some brass down to "Special" length 1.274" or whatever it is so as to identify that specific brass for that application.

That would work. I have just filed a series of quick notches around the rims to keep them easily identifiable. It would keep your brass full length too.

freedom475
09-28-2014, 11:41 AM
I opened up the flash holes on a cylinder's worth of 475 brass for use with the p-tex "Glublets" that I made several years ago.....Just the primer was enough to fire the glue bullet through a kitchen cabinet at 30'!! Not sure if you really need the 5gr of Bullseye for indoor use??..but then again maybe a ground hog has a little more girth than a kitchen cabinet...LOL:mrgreen:

dubber123
09-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Wes may have a point.. :) I was thinking ground hogs can get pretty big, and you might want a little extra "oomph". If your testing doesn't indicate you are getting much, if any expansion, you might try filling the HP cavity with wax or boolit lube. It works great at promoting expansion in HP's.

John Ross
09-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Load a case full of Bullseye with nylon or teflon bullets. Velocity will be around 4000 FPS, recoil next to nothing.

freedom475
09-28-2014, 12:10 PM
I found one of my old posts from 6 years ago when I was trying these....I forgot how much I tested the glublets. Here is some Chrono testing I did from the old post...

Chronoed glublets

After reading this I had to try it...Took my RCBS 400gr 475 mould and filled the cav with hot glu with the spure plate open, boolit just fell out almost clear.made 5 total,I cut them all off at the front of the last lube groove.

Bored out the flash holes to 1/8" on 5 cases and loaded them with Fed 215's, lubed the glublets with gun oil and loaded them in the FA 475 with 6inch barrel...Wow they had a lot of power and were very accurate (1 cal, sized hole for 5 shots 8in.low) at 7yrds, but the primers backed out and tied up the gun. Tried it again with 300LP primers and that was a lot better and the primers stayed put.

Chrono of the 2 loads went like this:Fed 215's=431,405,434,444,431fps.....CCI300's=204,196, 141,226,237fps

The 215's will shoot through a lot of cardboard and kithen cabinets(missed the wadded sheet that was in the box with 1).......needless to say SWMBO forbid any further indoor testing......

Cleaned up the mould with acsetone(mostly to get all the Drop-Out from the vent lines) smoked the mould with a lighter and it cast WW just as good as it ever did. No need to get a special mould just to try this.
and its great fun.

Freedom475

There is tons of testing info found in these pages..and one guy even killed a possum and posted a pic of it.. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?17577-Casting-hot-glue-boolits/page2

olafhardt
09-29-2014, 03:49 PM
I shoot LEAD alloy 365 HBWC over 6.4 grains of Unique. They get out of the barrel of my Handirifle and actually make a decent rock busting load. I really don't think you want to try much if any powder with plastic.