PDA

View Full Version : Gas-checks in Revolvers?

FromTheWoods
09-26-2014, 07:32 PM
We plan to use gas-checks for my son's '73 Win .32-20. We'd like to use the same cartridges in his Ruger Buckeye.

Is it safe to shoot gas-checked bullets in a revolver? Do the checks have a problem at the forcing cone?

Nueces
09-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Rest easy. Gas checks have been performing well in revolvers for at least 60 years. While inside the bore, powder gas pressure firmly encourages the check to stay with the boolit.

Lonegun1894
09-27-2014, 02:32 AM
I use them in almost all my .357 Mag ammo cause I use it in revolvers, rifles, and a tc contender, and the rifles get that bullet moving above what most of the load manuals say, so they are safe and help.

44man
09-27-2014, 09:30 AM
The GC was designed to halt soft boolit skid in revolvers first and quickly went to rifle use. Many of my boolits use them but I found just making a boolit tough enough, a PB also works.
I am too stinking old to remember who came out with the GC but have been there for the zinc washer cast in and swaging half jacketed in the special press, even forgot that name. I remember cutting pure lead wire, insert in a half jacket and squeeze out a boolit. Way too much for deer, a grenade. Look out water jugs! Been there to punch a hole in a GC to insert in the mold at the front drive band and cast through it too.
But the GC is at home in a revolver.
I seem to think Thompson made the first GC boolit designs that Lyman made, 358156 is one, super great boolit.
Laychuck and Mayville Engineering stick in my mind.

fouronesix
09-27-2014, 10:13 AM
We plan to use gas-checks for my son's '73 Win .32-20. We'd like to use the same cartridges in his Ruger Buckeye.

Is it safe to shoot gas-checked bullets in a revolver? Do the checks have a problem at the forcing cone?

I've not seen a problem with GCs and forcing cones.

If loading light starting loads be sure, as you work up the load, to check the bore between shots. Loads that are too light with GC or half jacket can result in the bullet shucking the GC or half jacket and leaving it in the bore- especially in revolvers (I imagine because of the rapid pressure drop-off because of the design of the revolver).

I suspect GCs were a result of and/or answer to the higher pressure smokeless loads that became common after the transition from BP.

Uncle Jimbo
09-27-2014, 11:41 AM
I use them in almost all my .357 Mag ammo cause I use it in revolvers, rifles, and a tc contender, and the rifles get that bullet moving above what most of the load manuals say, so they are safe and help.

I have always used them in my 357. never had any problem, ever.

FromTheWoods
09-28-2014, 12:41 AM
Thank you, All.

That is good news. We have been using a filler in the old '73 because it keyholes plain-based without the filler. I'll load a batch of gas-checks and see if they fly true. His Ruger spits everything accurately.

gwpercle
09-28-2014, 05:39 PM
It better be safe cause I been doing it for long time . Ruger old model Blackhawk and Lyman gas check boolit #358156, my first mould and my first 357 magnum revolver. Lots of them rounds shot , always with a check on that boolit, never a problem and for that matter never heard of gas checks being a problem in revolvers.
Don't worry , load em up.
Gary