PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating A Mold From Accurate

IDSS
09-26-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm looking for a "do-all" mold for my .44 Mag SBH, RH, and Rossi 92. I figured that a 240 grain mold would do the trick, since there is so much data available in that weight and it'll be short enough to stabilize over a wide range of velocities, even in the Rossi. A lighter boolit will also make it possible to zero the SBH without changing the front sight.

The 43-240TG looks like just the ticket. It seems to have a generous meplat and, from reading the design page on Accurate's site and according to Elmer, the front diving band seems like a good idea.

43-240TG.png (http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bullets/catalogue/43-240TG.png)

43-240TG-D.png (http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bullets/detail/43-240TG-D.png)

I lucked out with my Rossi in that it will feed Lee 429-200-RNFP's in Special cases all the way up to the Lee C430-310-RF in Magnum cases. The nose length on this one seems pretty safe.

Can anyone see an area where I might be on the wrong track? None of the groove diameters slugged bigger than .4295. I plan on ordering the mold to drop at .432 and size to .431.

All thoughts, criticism, and alternate suggestions are welcome. Thanks

TomAM
09-27-2014, 02:22 PM
I'll toot my own horn on this one. I made the #43-240T as a "do-all" for my own use in revolvers and levers. The SAAMI length nose makes the COAL factory length to fit in anything, and the weight is standard for caliber.
I have since acquired a Browning 92 which is a very picky feeder, and made the #43-240A with a secant ogive instead of the shoulder, to feed a bit slicker.

TXGunNut
09-27-2014, 11:47 PM
Straight from the horse's mouth, IDSS. I finally bought my first mould from Tom recently and I was quite impressed. Only issue is that I won't have the time to cast for awhile and that beautiful mould is on my bench, taunting me. Wish I could help you with mould choices but I'm avoiding 43 calibers for as long as I can, maybe a bump will help.

IDSS
09-28-2014, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the info, Tom. I think I'm starting to get a handle on your naming conventions, at least a bit.

I'm looking to stay with a gas checked design, so I think it's narrowed down to the 43-240AG or the 43-240TG. Looking at the "bullet design" tab on the website, I can see the utility of the shoulder. If my '92 currently feeds Keith-style bullets okay, would the shoulder be an overall good thing?

TomAM
09-28-2014, 11:39 AM
I like a shoulder because it allows the front band to be wide enough to close the gap in the throat, then quickly gets the lead out of the way so that the odd bullet doesn't jamb the throat. A secant ogive works almost as well, quickly reducing nose diameter from band diameter.
My 92 feeds the 240TG well, but "improving" it to the 240AG gave me an excuse to make myself a new mold, and might even have slicked up the feed a bit.
If your 92 likes Keiths, it will certainly like 240TG.

IDSS
09-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks! Well, that tears it. 240TG it is, then.
It's a testament to good service that the man who actually makes the molds will come on here and field questions. Thanks again, Tom.